Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Anybody have any experience with these rifles? Looks like a decent price and nice weight for a longer range hunting rifle. Never shot a 300rum and I had never thought anything of them, but with California banning lead bullets the high velocity of the 300rum seems appealing for good bullet expansion at longer ranges.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I I’ve shot the 300 rum and have a few 300 win which I shoot a lot at longer ranges 500 yds to 1200 yds
Mag

It (300 rum) does have a lot of recoil . I would want a heavier 12 lb plus rifle in this caliber . I am gravitating more and more towards 6.5 cal as I get older for long range

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Ya the recoil is what makes me hesitate. I don’t hate brakes so I would definitely put one on and hope for the best. Just trying to think of caibers with high velocity for copper bullets at 600+ yards. Would like it to be capable for elk as well.... yup, I’m difficult

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bought a M700 when they first came out. Put a rake on it before I ever shot it. Recoil was minimal. Then I took it elk hunting and shot an elk. My ears still hurt. Took off the brake and was surprised that the recoil was much more tolerable than the noise. It's a little stout on the bench but unnoticeable when hunting. Barnes 180's at 3400fps Ya!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Bought a M700 when they first came out. Put a rake on it before I ever shot it. Recoil was minimal. Then I took it elk hunting and shot an elk. My ears still hurt. Took off the brake and was surprised that the recoil was much more tolerable than the noise. It's a little stout on the bench but unnoticeable when hunting. Barnes 180's at 3400fps Ya!

No ear protection? How ignorant is that?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Brushbuster,
Why not give the 30 Nosler a good survey?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I’ve considered it. But it seems like there is more factory offerings for the RUM. I would like to avoid handloading if it’s possible. Not very informed in the 30 Nosler. It fits in a shorter action length than a RUM correct? But does it get the same velocities?? What are the real advantages or disadvantages of the 30 Nosler?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
And to be honest I was looking into Fierce rifles and they don’t offer 30 Nosler..... by definitely not yet committed to Fierce

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28

No ear protection? How ignorant is that?

This was in the days when electronic ear protection was expensive and I wouldn't wear plugs or phones still hunting. Point being if you need a brake for a 300RUM, something is wrong with you or your rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you’re not going to hand load I’d go with the .300 Win Mag. Many more factory choices of ammo, at much lower prices.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brushbuster
I’ve considered it. But it seems like there is more factory offerings for the RUM. I would like to avoid handloading if it’s possible. Not very informed in the 30 Nosler. It fits in a shorter action length than a RUM correct? But does it get the same velocities?? What are the real advantages or disadvantages of the 30 Nosler?

Yes, the 30 Nosler fit a standard long action. The RUM has itsown action length.
No, the RUM outruns the Nosler.
I would say the standard action length is an advantage of the Nosler if you don’t like 50” OAL rifles.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Point being if you need a brake for a 300RUM, something is wrong with you or your rifle.

Can’t argue with that.

Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,352 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.