Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Tikka T3x Superlite Stainless - 308 - to save more weight. smile Point and shoot to 300 yards.. get scope with turrets if you want to shoot to 800 yards.
McMillan Sako Hunter EDGE - will last you two lifetimes.
Sportsmatch Rings

Price combined, depending on when or where you find them : $1200-1500

The action is slicker and stiffer then 98% of all custom hunting actions out there.
Machined true by well paid Finnish workers..
Trigger is superb and ingenious in simplicity!
Barrel is high quality and will last 10.000 + rounds in 308.
You could swap out the bottom metal if you like.. but I have seen BM hunted hard for 10+ years and never broken.
The Finns use quality plastics..

I have a few "pretty" rifles with blueing and wood.. but my hard use rifles are all Tikka T3.
No need for custom action!!

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Brushbuster
Heres what I was starting to think...

barrel: proof research 800
stock: stockys 600
trigger: jewell 250
bottom metal: hs precision 275
action: stiller 1000

Are smith fees usually around something like 400 bucks? Thats the only thing I really have no idea how much it would cost.

Guess I have expensive taste. But boy would that thing be sweet!

I don’t have nearly as much experience with custom rifle building as many guys on the site, and a few that have posted here already. But I’ve had a few factory actions rebarreled and handled or owned most major aftermarket stocks. you asked for feedback so here’s my two cents:

I’ll agree with what’s already been said here, no item on your list would be near my my first choice of custom build components. I’m not trying to be a smart ass, just saying keep researching and think before you start making purchases. You’ve already received some good advice.

I wouldn’t mess with a carbon tube, they seem to me to be a prime example of what BigStick calls fluff
If you’re going to shell out big bucks for a stock, it ought to be the real deal. McMillan or Manners (Grayboe for budget)
Jewell triggers are for target rifles, get a trigger tech or timney
If going DBM, go AICS style with low pro mag latch. Nice floor plate setup if you don’t need/want dbm
Nothing wrong with a Stiller, but if your budget for an action is $1000 just buy a Bighorn Origin for $825 and apply the rest toward your trigger
If you’re going to build, find a good gunsmith, one posted in this thread already

And I also really like the idea of just buying a nice factory rifle and applying the savings towards shooting/hunting. Tikka in a McMillan or Manners stock would be top of my list for this option (that’d what I use currently). And based on reviews here, I’d look hard a Barrett FC also, especially for an ultralight

Hope this helps, good luck

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A full custom will cost as the guys said.

You can always get a platform you like, and have it rebarrelled to a good barrel & stock to the chambering you want by a good smith and walk away happy for a lot less.

In that case .. which bullet comes first, then barrel twist rate for the bullet & which chambering... bedding is something you or the smith can do
and get a really good smith.. sloppy chambering sucks.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Check out triggertech triggers if you go with a 700 or clone - best triggers I’ve seen, most of the custom action competitor shooters have moved to them

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
At least $5K and up for a full custom with a composite stock in standard calibers (not counting the scope and mounts), depending on the 'smith. Some charge a lot more. At least double that for a walnut stock, depending on the grade of the wood. Those prices are sans embellishment. If you want engraving, inlays, etceteras, the sky is the limit.

At the end of the day, you can achieve virtually the same level of performance with a Winchester Model 70 for a lot less; or if you're feeling spendy, a Dakota 76.

A new Mauser 98 or Rigby Stalking rifle in standard calibers for ~ $10K, plus optics.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
refer back to the gledeasy post it is pretty much spot on

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
$3000-3500 depending. I can't see $5000 unless you're putting in gold inlays.

Do it right if you're going to do it. Mcmillan or manners stock, good custom action like a bighorn or defiance. Bartlein, Kreiger, Brux, Rock Creek barrel. Skip the DBM on a hunting rifle, that's for the tacticool guys. I do use them on prairie dog rifles but don't see any use at all for them on a big game rifle.

Most important is a good gunsmith. There are a good number of them out there but there are a bunch more that are boobs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been thinking about a full on custom myself. What I am finding is $3-5k if I were to go with a custom action. $1-2k less if I go with a production action.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
$1-2k less if I go with a production action.

Not really true. The factory actions will require a lot more gunsmith work to get it where the custom starts and that costs $$$. I've had a couple of prairie dog rifles built with out of the box remington M700 actions that I bought for $400. My last one I built using a bighorn origin that cost $750. The bighorn was cheaper because it didn't need anything done to it, the remingtons needed going through and they're still not nearly as nice, but they are straight now.

Any more I'll start with a custom.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
$3000-3500 depending. I can't see $5000 unless you're putting in gold inlays.

Do it right if you're going to do it. Mcmillan or manners stock, good custom action like a bighorn or defiance. Bartlein, Kreiger, Brux, Rock Creek barrel. Skip the DBM on a hunting rifle, that's for the tacticool guys. I do use them on prairie dog rifles but don't see any use at all for them on a big game rifle.

Most important is a good gunsmith. There are a good number of them out there but there are a bunch more that are boobs.

I based those numbers on rifles that I have actually had built over the past twelve (12) years by various 'smiths. Mauser 98 (VZ 24) or pre '64 Model 70 actions. Quoted prices are exclusive of the cost go the action, but inclusive of bases and rings. Plus, of course, the scope. The DG rifle is a Dakota 76 African, built to my specs and dimensions. No embellishments, all composite stocks except for one walnut stocked DG rifle. It is a keeper in all respects.

Again, I maintain that you can get virtually the same level of performance from a box stock Model 70 (with a very few tweaks such as glass bedding and perhaps trigger adjustment) for a whole lot less.

If some enterprising individual developed a drop-in trigger replacement for the BACO Model 70 that replicates the prior New Haven trigger for a few hundred dollars, they would sell a lot of them.

I agree that many so-called rifle smiths are boobs and it important to choose carefully. if you choose to buy a factory Model 70 and it turns out to be a dud, you can dump it without too much of a loss. However, a custom rifle is like a new car. Once you take possession of it, the selling price plummets.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Built my custom 6.5-06AI with a naked Interarms Mark X that had a Timney trigger installed, Krieger match SS/fluted barrel, Boyd laminate stock, action truing and bedding, with all gunsmithing done by Krieger. Total cost was $1710 including all shipping and PT&G reamer.

Shoots better than I can. Picked off 5 clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm with 10-11 shots in a gusty wind.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

I based those numbers on rifles that I have actually had built over the past twelve (12) years by various 'smiths. Mauser 98 (VZ 24) or pre '64 Model 70 actions. Quoted prices are exclusive of the cost go the action, but inclusive of bases and rings. Plus, of course, the scope. The DG rifle is a Dakota 76 African, built to my specs and dimensions. No embellishments, all composite stocks except for one walnut stocked DG rifle. It is a keeper in all respects.

Again, I maintain that you can get virtually the same level of performance from a box stock Model 70 (with a very few tweaks such as glass bedding and perhaps trigger adjustment) for a whole lot less.

If some enterprising individual developed a drop-in trigger replacement for the BACO Model 70 that replicates the prior New Haven trigger for a few hundred dollars, they would sell a lot of them.

I agree that many so-called rifle smiths are boobs and it important to choose carefully. if you choose to buy a factory Model 70 and it turns out to be a dud, you can dump it without too much of a loss. However, a custom rifle is like a new car. Once you take possession of it, the selling price plummets.

I've had several built with top shelf components by a couple of excellent gunsmiths over the last ten years also and I've never had one come close to $5000 unless you're including scopes. Mine are hunting rifles though, things can get expensive if you start adding things like high end DBM and stocks with adjustable combs, etc.

I love M70's and my safe's full of stainless ones. My 375 H&H was built with a McMillan stock and lilja barrel, and my 7mm rem mag was built with a bartline barrel in a McMillan. Mine are New Havens and I'll admit to not having any BACOs, but none of mine would shoot with my customs. They all got reworked because of mediocre accuracy. Maybe the BACOs are that good but to be honest the only factory rifle I've ever had that would shoot as well as my custom rifles is a savage M12 varmint. Everybody's got their own idea of what they expect for accuracy though and most factory rifles don't have barrels good enough for what I want. If the factories would spend an extra $30 a rifle for better barrels they'd shut down a lot of aftermarket barrel makers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
$1-2k less if I go with a production action.

Not really true. The factory actions will require a lot more gunsmith work to get it where the custom starts and that costs $$$. I've had a couple of prairie dog rifles built with out of the box remington M700 actions that I bought for $400. My last one I built using a bighorn origin that cost $750. The bighorn was cheaper because it didn't need anything done to it, the remingtons needed going through and they're still not nearly as nice, but they are straight now.

Any more I'll start with a custom.

Was a statement meant more for if I used an existing rifle that has been sitting. No cost out of pocket at this time but yes I do agree w what you are saying.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good for you. You win. feel better now?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Good for you. You win. feel better now?

Panties in a wad much?

I thought we were having a conversation, I didn't realize you were getting your feelings hurt. I don't even see where I disagreed with you much other than about the cost which pretty much everyone else on here agrees with.

I'll bet you're fun at parties.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep... my customer PRS build..

Action = 1,300
Stock. = 1,000
Barrel = 350
Scope mount = 300
Bottom Metal & = 250
Scope 1-2.5k depending on your standards
Barrel Brake = 125

Then talk to the Gunsmith... 500-700 at least depending on what you do to it... Easily a lot more...

One way to lower that a bit ... ask your gunsmith to buy the parts - he gets a discount as a dealer... but not too much.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I already have a lightweight 308 Kimber Montana that shoots Moa or better with factory 150 trophy copper. VX3i 3-10x40 with talley lightweights and a titanium bolt knob I got from fellow campfire member. I really love that gun for a pack gun with good power on animals 350 yards and under. Small, light and accurate enough for its use.

But this build will be something different. Thinking 300rum. I see new in box Remington 700 ultra mag actions in stainless for sale for 400 bucks. Could probably save some if the smith can true it up and work on the trigger. Might go with a Benchmark barrel as well and save about 500 bucks over the proof. With a Manners EH1 stock. Might be a little heavier with the steel barrel but cheaper and shoot great. What contour is good for Benchmark barrels in a hunting rifle? I was thinking a #4...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why 300RUM. What is the load that "sways" you?

Benchmark spouts are killer. Thomas makes great handles,no doubt. Proof is a fhuqking joke. A 700 will more than do it all.

Think bullets FIRST. Then build for balance/handling.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I was thinking 175barnes lrx loads. Seems like they can hold good velocity over a pretty long distance. Even the barnes factory 190lrx are fairly impressive at 3125fps if it shoots well. Is the 300rum difficult to reload for?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd choose the best boolits and best brass quality...wayyyyyyyyy before an esoteric headstamp swooning.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (37L1, Anaconda, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 16,624 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,195
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.