Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Gents, thanks very much for all the advice. I was not doubting TRH's comments, merely acknowledging the issue. I'll go ahead and run the remaining rounds through it. So far, it even fed those 185grain "Flying Ashtrays" with no issues. As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat. I suppose the make them for these as well. In all honesty, I'll not shoot it that much, just enough to satisfy me it will feed reliably, then just shoot it a few times/year along with all my other handguns.

i have always been fond of the flying ashtray, but thought they were all the speer 200grain. I found about ten boxes of the 100ct bullets per box a few years ago in a gun store, and bought them all.
I was always impressed with what they did with power pistol on water filled milk jugs. Although i have heard they don't penetrate all that well.
oh well, i still like them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’ve got an 80’s colt officers model and never experienced a problem with it even with JHPs.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Gents, thanks very much for all the advice. I was not doubting TRH's comments, merely acknowledging the issue. I'll go ahead and run the remaining rounds through it. So far, it even fed those 185grain "Flying Ashtrays" with no issues. As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat. I suppose the make them for these as well. In all honesty, I'll not shoot it that much, just enough to satisfy me it will feed reliably, then just shoot it a few times/year along with all my other handguns.

i have always been fond of the flying ashtray, but thought they were all the speer 200grain. I found about ten boxes of the 100ct bullets per box a few years ago in a gun store, and bought them all.
I was always impressed with what they did with power pistol on water filled milk jugs. Although i have heard they don't penetrate all that well.

The "Flying Ashtray" was a 200 gr. Speer loading. Those were well before the Gold Dot development.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pics or it never happened. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good for you, Jorge!
I really like Colts.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC

The comment about the Gold Cup made me chuckle. I had rough experiences with two different Gold Cups in the late 80's early 90's period. One had that five finger collet bushing. That damn thing broke in a match and tied the gun up like you cannot believe. The other had problematic sights. The rear sight roll pins either walked out occasionally or broke. The front sight took leave in a match and disappeared. Once I got that worked out I realized the "upgraded" guns weren't anymore reliable and probably not much more accurate than a good Government Model. I ditched the Gold Cups.

The reliability quote was only in reference to feeding hollow points and other sharp-profiled bullets. Hollow points in 45 ACP were not even that common in those days and SWC's were more the profiles that wouldn't feed in the lower-priced Colt 1911's.

Surprisingly, Norinco IMO forced Colt to make their 1911's feed reliably because they came out with their "model of the 1911" which would, at less than $300 when Colt's were probably approaching $500. Colt subsequently came out with the defunct model 1991A1's in all three normal sizes. I never owned one of them that wouldn't feed anything. They then quietly upgraded their regular Government, Commander and Officer's Models and called them "Enhanced". As I said, these guns were much better than their predecessors. jwp makes the comment that his apparently '80s model Officer's would feed anything-I don't doubt it. You would come up with individual guns that did, but a lot of them didn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

If it will feed the flying ashtray, it will feed anything. I had a stockpile I used to test for reliability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat.

Good that it feed the FA's well.

As to the mags & springs, Tripp Research is definitely a better product than Wilson & I've used them all. In particular, the followers are better & the Tripp mags provide true controlled round feed (Wilson does not) & the follower also has a metal insert for the slide stop to catch on. The Wilson is all plastic............having said that, I've not had one fail, but any gun that I carry, has a Tripp magazine or at least a Tripp follower & spring.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
McCormic makes a compact version which holds 7 rounds which gives the Officer's model a decent capacity. I use one in my 3.3" compact .45 and there has never been an issue with feeding. I only shoot 230 grain jacketed hollow points in it, so I can't comment on anything lighter, but the close to ball profile is 100% in mine.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that we've discussed the weapon, what do you guys suggest for a holster? I currently have an EP Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB, but not a fan of IWBs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that we've discussed the weapon, what do you guys suggest for a holster? I currently have an EP Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB, but not a fan of IWBs.
Ethan wears his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to feel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got IWB and OWB's but I generally just Mexican carry. Were I you, I'd just get another EPS in whatever OWB holster they've got. We've got Constitutional Carry though, so printing doesn't matter.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Printing does not matter here in Florida either.

[Linked Image]

OR[u][/u]

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of those look good, I'd prefer one of the first two, black if it will mostly be semi-formal wear, russet if casual.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually HATE ordering anything. My track record with ordering is not good. That means a limited brand selection of which DeSantis and Galco have been the ones I've had the best of luck with. Most name brands look about the same. For over-the-counter, I DON'T like Bianchi.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not a fan of IWBs.

I'm IWB exclusively except with a few rare exceptions, but the Milt Sparks 55BN works when needed.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Gotta horse as fast as polished steel there, Townes?

😎

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Gotta horse as fast as polished steel there, Townes?

😎
My voice is strong as kerosene.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sure wish he'd laid off the dope and booze; he wrote some good songs in his rather short life.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Flying Ashtray and similar bullet designs sucked - the ogive is too far back and caused feeding trouble. Much of the credit given to pistol manufacturers for adapting pistols is undeserved. Bullet manufacturers put the ogive back where it was supposed to be, but kept the ammo marketing names.

Colt didn't made any significant changes to enhance reliability. What mostly changed are the magazines, beginning with the Gold Cup wadcutter magazines and then the hybrid magazines introduced about the same time as the series 80. Jorge's pistol being a '93 will be fine.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.