Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever since I went to the 'dark side" and started carrying a Glock (31), I always felt "dirty" smile. So the other day I found a used, NIB (still in the box with papers) Colt in 45 ACP and found it to be perfect for my grip and just the right size for CC. I looked up this "enhanced" business and this is all I found'

Extended "up-swept beaver-tail" grip safety.
Angled slide griping grooves.
Flat top slide with grooves.
Lowered and beveled ejection port.
Relief cut under the rear of the trigger guard.
Longer trigger.
Lightened Combat style hammer.

Anyway, the Glock is now in my night stand, replete with light. The Colt carries MUCH easier and besides, there's just something about "Colts"....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

👍🏆

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I were you, I'd run a minimum of 200 rounds of the ammo I had loaded in it, through it. Guns that short have a reputation for unreliability the full-size and Commander-size 1911's don't have. Maybe you already have and I'm not putting your gun down, just saying.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
If I were you, I'd run a minimum of 200 rounds of the ammo I had loaded in it, through it. Guns that short have a reputation for unreliability the full-size and Commander-size 1911's don't have. Maybe you already have and I'm not putting your gun down, just saying.

Yes, the timing of the slide and magazine follower are much more crucial for reliable performance on these chopped down 1911s.

PS The Officer's Model was Colt's response to the popularity of the Detonics .45. I remember when that was all the rage in CCW.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ran fifty rounds through it, about half of them rapid fire. No issues...yet..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Plan to replace springs frequently to maintain that level of reliability on an old school chopped 1911.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good for you, JorgeI!! Colt 1911s still work and carry well.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Plan to replace springs frequently to maintain that level of reliability on an old school chopped 1911.

ummm ok?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sounds Great, I had one but could never get to to keep firing when I wanted it to! Carried a Glock at work, they are a Work Horse! but came time I wanted a 10mm I started to buy a Glock, but went with a older Delta Elite! Love that gun!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

"Enhanced". I'd guess that's a 90's model. Better than the original Officer's Model which came out in the 80's IIRC. I repeat, 200 rds. MINIMUM. JMO.

IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever since I went to the 'dark side" and started carrying a Glock (31), I always felt "dirty" smile. So the other day I found a used, NIB (still in the box with papers) Colt in 45 ACP and found it to be perfect for my grip and just the right size for CC. I looked up this "enhanced" business and this is all I found'

Extended "up-swept beaver-tail" grip safety.
Angled slide griping grooves.
Flat top slide with grooves.
Lowered and beveled ejection port.
Relief cut under the rear of the trigger guard.
Longer trigger.
Lightened Combat style hammer.

Anyway, the Glock is now in my night stand, replete with light. The Colt carries MUCH easier and besides, there's just something about "Colts"....

Yep, Colt is Colt & nothing else really is.............although some might actually be better.

Are you carrying that bad boy as intended, i.e., cocked & locked?

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want something even more concealable, look into the 9mm SIG P938. Similar to what you have, only smaller. The Colt Enhanced models were good guns. Before that only Gold Cup's would reliably feed premium ammo, without being worked on.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 01/28/19.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice! get 200 rounds of 230 fmj at the range, shoot that little fugger dry, heat the hell out of it, clean, re-lube, then check function again, smile

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Jorge, TRH is right on this one. Chopped 1911's need more frequent spring changes. How often is subjective. Mostly due to spring quality and how hot the ammo is.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Jorge, TRH is right on this one. Chopped 1911's need more frequent spring changes. How often is subjective. Mostly due to spring quality and how hot the ammo is.

"On this one??" I'm nearly always right, 98.76% of the time. That's a verified percentage, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one. It was picky about what it would run reliably. IIRC I settled on the 230 gr. Hornady FMJ-FP. That bullet was a full metal jacketed truncated cone flat point. The only hollow point that fed reliably that I had access to was the Winchester 185 gr. Silvertip. Back in the pre Internet days you relied on the local gunshop for ammo and reloading supplies. That Silvertip load was a pretty mild load fired from a 5" barrel and I just didn't trust it to expand from the short Officers Model barrel so I went with the flat points for more reliable penetration. Eventually I swapped it on a Lightweight Commander. I developed a real fondness for the Lwt. Commander.

The comment about the Gold Cup made me chuckle. I had rough experiences with two different Gold Cups in the late 80's early 90's period. One had that five finger collet bushing. That damn thing broke in a match and tied the gun up like you cannot believe. The other had problematic sights. The rear sight roll pins either walked out occasionally or broke. The front sight took leave in a match and disappeared. Once I got that worked out I realized the "upgraded" guns weren't anymore reliable and probably not much more accurate than a good Government Model. I ditched the Gold Cups.

I love the Rampant Pony on a Gov't Model or a Commander. That was a long time ago, things may be different with today's 1911 pistols.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Jorge, since you didn't ask for any advice, you're getting WAY more than you requested.......but then, that's the Campfire for you. Since you didn't ask, I'll go ahead and throw some in too :-) ! The slide moves much quicker on Officers and Defenders than on Commanders and Govt. Models and can out run the springs in a standard magazine, especially old ones. I had some OLD mags from my Marine Corps days (45 years ago) that worked great in Govt. and Commanders but were spotty in a Defender, especially toward the bottom of the magazine (i.e. 6th and 7th rounds)......probably good to test fire the gun with any spare mags that you're likely to use as backup/reloads/etc. and make sure to shoot to slide-lock. JMO-YMMV. I certainly agree with you assessment, "there's something about a 'Colt's'".

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Are you carrying that bad boy as intended, i.e., cocked & locked?

MM

But of course...

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, thanks very much for all the advice. I was not doubting TRH's comments, merely acknowledging the issue. I'll go ahead and run the remaining rounds through it. So far, it even fed those 185grain "Flying Ashtrays" with no issues. As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat. I suppose the make them for these as well. In all honesty, I'll not shoot it that much, just enough to satisfy me it will feed reliably, then just shoot it a few times/year along with all my other handguns.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Gents, thanks very much for all the advice. I was not doubting TRH's comments, merely acknowledging the issue. I'll go ahead and run the remaining rounds through it. So far, it even fed those 185grain "Flying Ashtrays" with no issues. As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat. I suppose the make them for these as well. In all honesty, I'll not shoot it that much, just enough to satisfy me it will feed reliably, then just shoot it a few times/year along with all my other handguns.

i have always been fond of the flying ashtray, but thought they were all the speer 200grain. I found about ten boxes of the 100ct bullets per box a few years ago in a gun store, and bought them all.
I was always impressed with what they did with power pistol on water filled milk jugs. Although i have heard they don't penetrate all that well.
oh well, i still like them.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’ve got an 80’s colt officers model and never experienced a problem with it even with JHPs.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i have always been fond of the flying ashtray, but thought they were all the speer 200grain. I found about ten boxes of the 100ct bullets per box a few years ago in a gun store, and bought them all.
I was always impressed with what they did with power pistol on water filled milk jugs. Although i have heard they don't penetrate all that well.

The "Flying Ashtray" was a 200 gr. Speer loading. Those were well before the Gold Dot development.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pics or it never happened. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good for you, Jorge!
I really like Colts.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC

The comment about the Gold Cup made me chuckle. I had rough experiences with two different Gold Cups in the late 80's early 90's period. One had that five finger collet bushing. That damn thing broke in a match and tied the gun up like you cannot believe. The other had problematic sights. The rear sight roll pins either walked out occasionally or broke. The front sight took leave in a match and disappeared. Once I got that worked out I realized the "upgraded" guns weren't anymore reliable and probably not much more accurate than a good Government Model. I ditched the Gold Cups.

The reliability quote was only in reference to feeding hollow points and other sharp-profiled bullets. Hollow points in 45 ACP were not even that common in those days and SWC's were more the profiles that wouldn't feed in the lower-priced Colt 1911's.

Surprisingly, Norinco IMO forced Colt to make their 1911's feed reliably because they came out with their "model of the 1911" which would, at less than $300 when Colt's were probably approaching $500. Colt subsequently came out with the defunct model 1991A1's in all three normal sizes. I never owned one of them that wouldn't feed anything. They then quietly upgraded their regular Government, Commander and Officer's Models and called them "Enhanced". As I said, these guns were much better than their predecessors. jwp makes the comment that his apparently '80s model Officer's would feed anything-I don't doubt it. You would come up with individual guns that did, but a lot of them didn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

If it will feed the flying ashtray, it will feed anything. I had a stockpile I used to test for reliability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to the magazine, it takes a six rounder, but it will accept and feed with a standard 7 rounder, although it stick out underneath. On the spring, I usually run heavier springs on mine, I get them from Wilson Combat.

Good that it feed the FA's well.

As to the mags & springs, Tripp Research is definitely a better product than Wilson & I've used them all. In particular, the followers are better & the Tripp mags provide true controlled round feed (Wilson does not) & the follower also has a metal insert for the slide stop to catch on. The Wilson is all plastic............having said that, I've not had one fail, but any gun that I carry, has a Tripp magazine or at least a Tripp follower & spring.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
McCormic makes a compact version which holds 7 rounds which gives the Officer's model a decent capacity. I use one in my 3.3" compact .45 and there has never been an issue with feeding. I only shoot 230 grain jacketed hollow points in it, so I can't comment on anything lighter, but the close to ball profile is 100% in mine.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that we've discussed the weapon, what do you guys suggest for a holster? I currently have an EP Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB, but not a fan of IWBs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that we've discussed the weapon, what do you guys suggest for a holster? I currently have an EP Saddlery Summer Cruiser IWB, but not a fan of IWBs.
Ethan wears his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to feel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got IWB and OWB's but I generally just Mexican carry. Were I you, I'd just get another EPS in whatever OWB holster they've got. We've got Constitutional Carry though, so printing doesn't matter.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Printing does not matter here in Florida either.

[Linked Image]

OR[u][/u]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of those look good, I'd prefer one of the first two, black if it will mostly be semi-formal wear, russet if casual.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually HATE ordering anything. My track record with ordering is not good. That means a limited brand selection of which DeSantis and Galco have been the ones I've had the best of luck with. Most name brands look about the same. For over-the-counter, I DON'T like Bianchi.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not a fan of IWBs.

I'm IWB exclusively except with a few rare exceptions, but the Milt Sparks 55BN works when needed.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Gotta horse as fast as polished steel there, Townes?

😎

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Gotta horse as fast as polished steel there, Townes?

😎
My voice is strong as kerosene.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sure wish he'd laid off the dope and booze; he wrote some good songs in his rather short life.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Flying Ashtray and similar bullet designs sucked - the ogive is too far back and caused feeding trouble. Much of the credit given to pistol manufacturers for adapting pistols is undeserved. Bullet manufacturers put the ogive back where it was supposed to be, but kept the ammo marketing names.

Colt didn't made any significant changes to enhance reliability. What mostly changed are the magazines, beginning with the Gold Cup wadcutter magazines and then the hybrid magazines introduced about the same time as the series 80. Jorge's pistol being a '93 will be fine.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jorge, like EE said, the Galco concealables are what I like...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks again, gents. I think I'll order the top one of the ones I posted. It allows for both strong side or cross draw. EP Saddlery has treated me well through the years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
not a fan of IWBs.

I'm IWB exclusively except with a few rare exceptions, but the Milt Sparks 55BN works when needed.

MM

+ 1, if you have time to wait.
Copied by every holster maker under the sun.

Door# 2, if not.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Always have a backup plan...

guide spring...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Always have a backup plan...

guide spring...
Good idea. I assume go ahead and install whilst keeping oem parts for backup. Great plan.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Classy looking pistol Jorge, thanks for the picture.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm crushed because one of my favorite heroes on the Fire, Clark, eschews them. smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]

Handsome piece.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I had one of the first of them that came out back in the 1980s. Back then I didn’t know that they had the issue of needing regular and frequent spring changes, and sold it when it started regularly flubbing after just a couple thousand rounds.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
TY. Range tomorrow for a few more rounds of "reliability testing", then I'll carry and see how I like it (using that EP Saddlery IWB holster depicted)

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=jorgeI
Anyway, the Glock is now in my night stand, replete with light. The Colt carries MUCH easier and besides, there's just something about "Colts".... [/quote]

The earth's rotation is returning to normalcy!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a gunsite cco. I’m very pleased with it. I’m sure you will enjoy yours. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

Very nice!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I have a gunsite cco. I’m very pleased with it. I’m sure you will enjoy yours. Hasbeen
Gunsite? That must be a nice one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I really like the Gunsite model CCO. I think the new Wiley Clapp is pretty close. Both are 70 series.
The WC pictured is a 9. The others are 45. The WC pictured is a Commander. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 02/01/19.

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like jorges better.... No billboard or front serrations.

No, wait.... I like hasbeens better. The beavertail, sights and extended safety.

Oh heck, who am I kidding?

I'd take either, and like the hell outta whichever one I had.

Last edited by huntsman22; 02/01/19.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
200 round count, no stoppages or issues. Daily carry. The Glock is in the night stand drawer and the world is in equilibrium...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Jorge, what is the carry ammo you are using in your Officers Model?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Federal 230gr Hydra Shock

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

[Linked Image]

That's a nice looking pistol.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A classic old school load for a classic old school pistol. Sweet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you're really serious about your carry ammo, you might want to look at the fired bullet comparisons in the attached between the (older) HydraShoks & the (newer) HST's.

There are no absolutes, but this is pretty clear cut, if you're carrying HS's, might just as well carry hardball.

I'm carrying HST, for the most part, in everything; not HST's then Gold Dots.

HydraShoks got all used up for practice.

MM

Bullet PErfromance Tests

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If you're really serious about your carry ammo, you might want to look at the fired bullet comparisons in the attached between the (older) HydraShoks & the (newer) HST's.

There are no absolutes, but this is pretty clear cut.

MM

Bullet PErfromance Tests

Put the bullet in the boiler room and I don’t think it’ll matter much.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Old school.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
A classic old school load for a classic old school pistol. Sweet

Hah, you had the exact same thought.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, maybe, but did you look at the pics?

If I'm going to carry HP's of any persuasion, I expect some expansion otherwise, why not just ball.

Not that ball is bad, but when you use it, it's not with the expectation of expansion.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Old school.

Old school non-expansion performance too............................ball by another name with a higher price.

MM

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If I'm going to carry HP's of any persuasion, I expect some expansion otherwise, why not just ball.

Not that ball is bad, but when you use it, it's not with the expectation of expansion.

MM

They didn’t look too good. I’ve recovered a few Hydro shocks and they were expanded. The velocity in the test was only 794 FPS. At that speed I’d rather a flat point.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Old school.

Old school non-expansion performance too............................ball by another name with a higher price.

MM

I know, but didn't want to be rude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

MM

They didn’t look too good. I’ve recovered a few Hydro shocks and they were expanded. The velocity in the test was only 794 FPS. At that speed I’d rather a flat point.

Yeah, but the 794 is the factory loaded velocity..............& that's what he carrying.

Lots of people don't realize that HS's are not really great & that's what Federal brought the HST's & all the agencies went away from the HS's.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wouldn't want one passing through my lungs or aorta regardless.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I wouldn't want one passing through my lungs or aorta regardless.

Me neither, but why pay a premium, premium price to get what ball gives you.................that's the point.

And I have no problem carrying mil-spec or commercial ball.

But as a h-p, they are next to useless. You want to pay for a h-p, buy HST's, hands down, not even close, not even for convoluted minds.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugk I don't know. Maybe they open up quicker at sea level.

Besides, Jorge is Cuban. The only thing they shoot at is other Cubans and the sky on New Years.

He'll be fine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jorge - congrats on the nice Colt!

Got mine in 1984, and have likely only put a thousand rounds through it. I use my 5" 1911 an awful lot though.

Managed to pick up another a few years back, a gift for my oldest son.

They'll work just fine, and carry easy. I make sure to keep mine clean, lubed, a new recoil spring now and again, and decent ammo.

Enjoy that classy Colt!

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fugk I don't know. Maybe they open up quicker at sea level.

Besides, Jorge is Cuban. The only thing they shoot at is other Cubans and the sky on New Years.

He'll be fine.

ROTF, LMAF laugh

Just TFF................but you could be spot on.

We'll see, if he's serious, he'll go buy some HST's, if he's just BS'ing & casual & flappin' his lips, he'll defend his HS's, which of course, have no defense, given today's alternatives.

MM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

There are no absolutes, but this is pretty clear cut, if you're carrying HS's, might just as well carry hardball.

MM

Bullet PErfromance Tests

Bookmarked that link. Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

MM

Bullet PErfromance Tests

Well, I guess I'm serious and I will order some today. I've had the HS for a while, as my carry gun for the last few years was a G31.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HST is excellent, and yeah better than the old Hydra Shok. Gold Dot is good as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And a damn good thing. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
New springs and SS long guide rod installed, OP check w fifty rounds. Good to go!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Needs ivory slabs.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Needs ivory slabs.

I did find some nice Colt gold medallion woodies.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You’re Cuban.

Act like it.

Ivory slabs.

PS-When do I get to come visit?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Or some nice Sambar Stag.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You’re Cuban.

Act like it.

Ivory slabs.

when do you want to come up, or better still you can come over when I'm at my folks' house in Coconut Grove?
PS: unwashed Cubans use pearl, us of "the realm" use ivory....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Needs ivory slabs.

I did find some nice Colt gold medallion woodies.

Forget the fugly commemorative inlaid coins..... lissen to the flave

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A lot of fairly priced grip options here Jorge.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/gun-parts.html#category_2=GUN%20PARTS%2FGRIPS&brand=1911&mpp=60

Conduct is the best proof of character.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Ed. Unfortunately, I found these, so I'm stuck with them for now. At least they are a lot better than the ugly rubber ones it came with!

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got to be honest, Jorge, the ones you currently have on now (the checkered ones) are worlds better looking than those Colt medallion grips.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got to be honest, Jorge, the ones you currently have on now (the checkered ones) are worlds better looking than those Colt medallion grips.

That's ok. They are "defender" grips, so not OEM and I was shooting for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look on EBay at Ahernds grips. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 02/05/19.

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Look on EBay at Ahernds grips. Hasbeen

Ahrends. I can’t spell. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found these, so I'm stuck with them for now. At least they are a lot better than the ugly rubber ones it came with!

[Linked Image]

Those are classic & likely worth more than you paid for them............I have a set like that which came on a new Colt Combat Commander once upon a time.

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You’re Cuban.

Act like it.

Ivory slabs.

when do you want to come up, or better still you can come over when I'm at my folks' house in Coconut Grove?

Oh yeah. That'd save me some drivin'.

We can meet at a neutral location just in case we hate each other.

I vote Tootsies.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
You’re Cuban.

Act like it.

Ivory slabs.

Oh yeah. That'd save me some drivin'.

We can meet at a neutral location just in case we hate each other.

I vote Tootsies.

I'm in. Just make sure you reserve a table in the big tits section, please.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's always reserved.

It's the table with the big F inlaid into the center.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found these, so I'm stuck with them for now. At least they are a lot better than the ugly rubber ones it came with!

[Linked Image]

Those are classic & likely worth more than you paid for them............I have a set like that which came on a new Colt Combat Commander once upon a time.

MM

Before the Enhanced models came out you had to either go Gold Cup or one of the 1991 models for reliability. I had a 1991 Officer's and it had the Colt medallion rubber grips. Looked a lot like Jorge's but his grips really make his look better. I put a set of wood Colt type grips on my Gold Cup to replace the rubber ones that came on it.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's always reserved.

It's the table with the big F inlaid into the center.

Fat chicks rule...

But I digress. I must say the new springs and extended guide rod "feel" smoother. Maybe it's my imagination. Going to shoot some 185 (puke) grainers this weekend and see how they go. Bottom line is no issues with the 230s and that's what GOD intended for the 45 ;0

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/06/19.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I doubt it's your imagination.

Spring's lives matter.

Fugk a 185.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever see what a 185 semi wadcutter will do to a coyote?

Might make you a believer, just sayin'...... smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 185 , 200 and 230 in my 45’s. I believe the old saying a 9 m/m may expand. But a 45 ain’t going to shrink. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well?

[Linked Image]
Very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well?

[Linked Image]

I like that a lot. Congrats on a great carry piece.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well?

[Linked Image]

Better looking than I thought they'd be, but I've never been a fan of un-checkered wood grips.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well?

[Linked Image]

You lost a round.

Dave

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, the perfect carry 1911 in 45acp is the commander length barrel with Officer frame. I had a frankengun like this that someone cobbled together in the 80s. I sold that one when I bought a SIG 1911 RCS. Steel 4.25" barrel and slide, officer sized aluminum frame. Modern SIG magazines hold 7.

The only way to carry a 1911 is cocked and locked.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah, that's a cool combination, for sure. I'd like to see a Glock 19 with a Glock 26 frame, for the same reason. There are people out there making a good living doing conversions of Glock 19s into that configuration. I'm thinking of sending my Glock 19 in to have that done. Seems an ideal carry configuration.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.