Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
A .25/06 with a 100 grain bullet is antelope medicine that cannot be beat,IMO.

After shooting over 40 antelope with just the 243 and the 25-06 I decided 100 grain bullets in a 25-06 is to much of a good thing. I like eating antelope most of all and a lot of bloodshot meat isn't at all needed. Step up to 117 &120 gr bullets and less blood shot meat. Better yet 95-105 gr .243's at 2900-3100 fps is easier on the carcass. I hardly ever take anything but a double lung ribcage shot on them. I don't hunt in a crowd and the 25 -100 yds they go after a double lung shot bothers nothing. Yeah the Swede ,the Creed and 260 would be good choices to. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
From all I have gleaned about the 6.5 Creedmoor, it’s probably a perfect cartridge for speed goats. They aren’t hard to kill, just hit ‘em in the vitals. Not tough as larger deer and elk. Good hunting! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

After shooting over 40 antelope with just the 243 and the 25-06 I decided 100 grain bullets in a 25-06 is to much of a good thing.

Maybe aim a little lower?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
At 16 years old, I'd be trying to have him figure out what he thinks he wants for a gun to keep for life. Then get that and let him hunt.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
A .25/06 with a 100 grain bullet is antelope medicine that cannot be beat,IMO.

For sure, hard to beat for the reloader. I'd still go CM, limited to off the shelf rifle and ammo.

BUT, you do need a LOT more power for those huge NM Jackwabbits... shocked

DF

He just needs to find one factory load that will shot well in his .25/06 and he is in business. I counted 7 factory loads that feature a 100 grain bullet and I am sure one of those will shoot good enough in his rifle. wink

Our NM jackwabbits are a whole different ballgame. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bamagun01
I’m taking my 16yr old hunting in WY next year for deer and antelope. I hear all the rave about the 6.5cm. What’s y’alls thought on the 6.5? He currently shoots a 30-30 for deer hunting in AL. and the shots are never more than 100 yards. Thought I’d purchase a “new” caliber for his hunt. I use a 25-06 for distance hunting and love it.
Thanks for your advice.

As posted above the 6.5mm CM is a no brainer for a new hunter.

Ammo selection is great and will only get better and he will never outgrow the round.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks all!

I do have the ability and all the equipment to reload I just don’t always have the time. That’s another craft I’d like for my son to learn and enjoy. I’m pretty set on the 6.5cm so he’ll have a nice rifle for hunting and if he decides to shoot long distance silhouettes it should work well also. He really enjoys the outdoors hunting, fishing and shooting!

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Thanks all!

I do have the ability and all the equipment to reload I just don’t always have the time. That’s another craft I’d like for my son to learn and enjoy. I’m pretty set on the 6.5cm so he’ll have a nice rifle for hunting and if he decides to shoot long distance silhouettes it should work well also. He really enjoys the outdoors hunting, fishing and shooting!

As posted already, excellent round that he’ll not out grow.

I’m a seasoned reloader and have been amazed how accurate factory ammo is. I have to work to beat it.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
NO! No, no, no, no, no. There is no way.......that I am going to recommend a 6.5 CM for antelope! NO!!!

laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think a 6mm Remington or .243 Win. are both enough for a kid shooting goats and muleys. And you can get a Rem. 700 ADL Synthetic at Academy for under $400. put a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on it and you've got all he can shoot. or shop around on Gun Broker and some of the other sights and you can find it cheaper. I bought four VX-3i 3.-10X40s and paid anywhere from $265-$319.And remember with Leupold scopes you have a life time warranty. I think you can find a rifle used for $300.00 or under.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/30/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Filaman
I think a 6mm Remington or .243 Win. are both enough for a kid shooting goats and muleys. And you can get a Rem. 700 ADL Synthetic at Academy for under $400. put a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on it and you've got all he can shoot. or shop around on Gun Broker and some of the other sights and you can find it cheaper. I bought four VX-3i 3.-10X40s and paid anywhere from $265-$319.And remember with Leupold scopes you have a life time warranty. I think you can find a rifle used for $300.00 or under.

Uh oh, the voice of reason. We can’t tolerate that type of input here. laugh

Welcome to the Fire.

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/30/19.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't overlook the 6mm Creedmoor..... it is twisted right.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have numerous 6.5 s

Succumbed to pressure and picked up a tikka ctr in 6.5 cm

For antelope in 2018

Shot great . 400 plus yards boom 10 yards and down in 40 mph winds

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Don't overlook the 6mm Creedmoor..... it is twisted right.

Mike,

What’s your favorite 6CM load?

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
That is about as good as you can get. The rifle will recoil very little, shoots great with factory ammo and kills way beyond what its ballistics say that it should. Buy Hornady factory ammo and go hunt. Get him shooting out to 300 yards, just to be sure that he can score. That cartridge in whatever rifle you choose, will serve him well for as long as he wants.

Put a decent scope on it. Optics are more important than the rifle, usually.

I agree with your first paragraph and with getting a 'decent' scope. Not so much with "Optics are more important than the rifle, usually."

A great scope won't make an inaccurate rifle more accurate and I've found cheap scopes to be adequate for every shot I've taken at game (487 yards max). Had a $39 (I overpaid at a gunsmith) Bushnell Sportview 3-9x with crappy light transmission on my 7mm RM for 20 years. Never liked it but it took a beating and never failed me, either.

Lots of decent scopes for under $200. Most of my rifles have Burris 3-9x Fullfield II scopes with Ballistic Plex reticle. You can get them for about $180 online.

True, but I have seen very few inexpensive rifles that will not shoot well enough to hunt with. That was my point. An expensive rifle and dog scope is useless, whereas, a cheap rifle and decent scope is a winner.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If the son shows that he really likes hunting, then get him a quality rifle and a quality scope. No "throwaway" rifles/scope combos, etc. I have seen plenty of "very good", quality rifles out there. I even find excellent , well made "older rifles" ( my latest is a 1980 Mod 700 Classic, looks brand new) on gunbroker, etc. If girls/video games have a greater influence, then get him a Savage scope/combo and enjoy just being with him.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy the young man a 6.5 CM of his own and a decent scope, he will be thanking you for it 50 years from now.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle and has taken a lot of antelope with Barnes 100g TTSX and Nosler 110g AB. Daughters and nephews love it as well and have used it to take antelope. The .257 Roberts was gently used when I acquired it in 2004 and has served very well.

These days I would purchase a 6.5CM instead and without a second thought as it has similar recoil to my +P Roberts loads with better downrange ballistics. It is an excellent choice for your son and antelope. As has been pointed out above, it is also good for deer and elk at typical ranges.

Me, too. I'm a life-long .257 fan and have a solid stockpile of bullets 'n' brass. I don't need both, but if I were to find my .257 stolen, I'd replace it with a 6.5CM in a heartbeat.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would suggest, right now, if you haven't already, get him a good 17 HMR rimfire with a decent scope. Have him practice a lot and shoot varmints,etc. sniping squirrels, etc will really help develop his skill set. Aim small, miss small works just as well for a 50yd squirrel as a 300yd pronghorn! It will also work swell in a prairie dog town if you can swing a trip in early summer. the great thing about prairie dogs and antelope is the boy "will see a lot of animals"! That is so very important for a youngster. We old guys sit around and day dream and we can sit on a ridge all day ( well, a big part of the day!) but a kid "needs" action. Good luck to you pard!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is about as good as you can get. The rifle will recoil very little, shoots great with factory ammo and kills way beyond what its ballistics say that it should. Buy Hornady factory ammo and go hunt. Get him shooting out to 300 yards, just to be sure that he can score. That cartridge in whatever rifle you choose, will serve him well for as long as he wants.

Put a decent scope on it. Optics are more important than the rifle, usually.

I agree with your first paragraph and with getting a 'decent' scope. Not so much with "Optics are more important than the rifle, usually."

A great scope won't make an inaccurate rifle more accurate and I've found cheap scopes to be adequate for every shot I've taken at game (487 yards max). Had a $39 (I overpaid at a gunsmith) Bushnell Sportview 3-9x with crappy light transmission on my 7mm RM for 20 years. Never liked it but it took a beating and never failed me, either.

Lots of decent scopes for under $200. Most of my rifles have Burris 3-9x Fullfield II scopes with Ballistic Plex reticle. You can get them for about $180 online.

True, but I have seen very few inexpensive rifles that will not shoot well enough to hunt with. That was my point. An expensive rifle and dog scope is useless, whereas, a cheap rifle and decent scope is a winner.

I'll agree a rifle with a broken scope that won't hold zero isn't worth much as a combo. Just had a Burris FF-II 3-9x replaced by Burris as unfixable. Even then the rifle was holding 2-1/2 MOA, which is good enough for most hunting situations. Had a rifle that shot bug holes until it started shooting patterns (sold it), SIL had a rifle that wouldn't feed reliably (repaired), I had another that decided not to eject (repaired) and hunted with a guy who, at the end of the hunt, informed us his safety wasn't working so he kept his finger "off the trigger" (never hunted with him again). GIve me a reliable and reasonably accurate firearm and just about any scope that holds zero and I'll make it work.

Guess that's a long-winded way of saying "I have seen very few inexpensive scopes that will not work well enough to hunt with." smile

Granted, long range shooting has different requirements, but that applies to both rifle and scope.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.