Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Cheezy mags and stocks are why I sprung for a LSS.......

I went ESS for one of mine. Love the setup.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven’t had my mag apart yet. I reckon it’s got the same sorta spring deal as 10/22’s? Doesn’t take much for them to mess up.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Ky221
Kimber did it on a rifle costing 700+ and no one bats an eye....

No one? Few rifles get bitched about more around here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Don't know about the one on the RAR, but the Hunter's looks pretty beefy and sturdy. The magazine seems to be good too, as they all should be, regardless of price.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Don't know about the one on the RAR, but the Hunter's looks pretty beefy and sturdy. The magazine seems to be good too, as they all should be, regardless of price.

For a plastic the Hunter has a good one. I like the mag, works fine. But, I'd be a fan if more than 3 could fit in there.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Would one consider a wife of 3 months the wife of a lifetime?

Can you get a lifetime wife for $500?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by 16bore
How are those Boyd’s stocks working out? Kinda hard to justify doing anything to except load and shoot.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the stock on mine, but I wouldn't wan to add a lot of weight to it.

I put Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks on some RAR-Ps. They weigh a full pound more than the factory synthetic stock. I would prefer that they weighed less than 16 ounces more, but the improvement in handling and balance more than offsets the added weight. Its not like you're going to pick an RAR-P for hunting in the mountains or in rough terrain if you have better options.

That said, the cost of each of the Boyd stocks and upgrading the trigger guards from plastic to steel was around $250, so if you add that cost to a $350 rifle, you're at $600, no longer in the economy niche that you started in.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wasn’t referring to the mag. I had no issues with the mag on my hunter. I was referring to the one piece trigger guard. My point was, I’f kimber can do it on a rifle costing 700$. I ain’t gonna roast Ruger for doing it on a rifle costing 350$

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
How are those Boyd’s stocks working out? Kinda hard to justify doing anything to except load and shoot.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the stock on mine, but I wouldn't wan to add a lot of weight to it.

I put Boyds laminated Heritage style stocks on some RAR-Ps. They weigh a full pound more than the factory synthetic stock. I would prefer that they weighed less than 16 ounces more, but the improvement in handling and balance more than offsets the added weight. Its not like you're going to pick an RAR-P for hunting in the mountains or in rough terrain if you have better options.

That said, the cost of each of the Boyd stocks and upgrading the trigger guards from plastic to steel was around $250, so if you add that cost to a $350 rifle, you're at $600, no longer in the economy niche that you started in.

Might as well just buy a spare RAR...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Might as well just buy a spare RAR...

Yes, but it would just be another RAR, not an "improved" RAR.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For their price and what they are..... They're hard to beat. Every one that I've shot has shot well.

A cousin bought a .30-06 and has taken four bucks with it so far. For their intended purpose, they do the job.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I like 'em, but my issues with the rotary magazine RAR are as follows:

1) The magazine. Couple issues: The bolt must be open to insert the magazine (i.e. cant insert the magazine on an empty chamber, bolt closed). Proprietary magazine: expensive for what it is, non interchangeable with other platforms. It was a good move for ruger to now offer the ACS configuration, but too late for me.
2) The built in plastic trigger guard. If it breaks, there goes the whole stock.

Ideally the stock would have a AICS pattern magazine well and a detachable metal trigger guard.

I'd have trouble justifying the purchase of a new stock just to address these issues, given the off the shelf price for the entire rifle.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Alabama
Not a single issue with Magazine. Stock is just a plain plastic/composite stock.

Yep. I just poured some epoxy in the cross hatch in the front end of the stock, to stiffen it up a bit. It is great for what I use it for.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the OP's title is correct. For what it is, and what it does, for what you pay, it is impressive. Too often we judge it on what it is not or what it is not meant to be.

If Ruger gave it a metal trigger guard, made it a BDL and put it in an upgraded stock, we wouldn't be buying them at prices for which they are sold, both used and new.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/01/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see they have a 20” 6.5 CM Compact now. I’d like to see a Ranch model in 6.8 SPC

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

1) The magazine. Couple issues: The bolt must be open to insert the magazine (i.e. cant insert the magazine on an empty chamber, bolt closed).

I'm surprised to hear that; my RAP Creedmoor doesn't have that problem. Loaded mag inserts just fine with the bolt closed, no issues.

Does anyone else have that issue with theirs?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.308 RAR on sale for $280 shipped at SOS right now.

.308 RAR - $280

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the RAR conundrum.....you see a deal like that and suddenly you need one. And 308 doesn’t seem like such a bad chambering after all.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess I just got a lemon. I bought a 30-06 a few years ago when Wal-mart had them on clearance for $199. After many bullet/powder combinations in 150/165/180gr, factory and Boyd's laminate stocks, and two scopes, the best it would consistently shoot was 1.5 MOA. Plenty good enough for the typical hunter that probably never going to shoot past 200yds, but not accurate enough to earn a permanent spot in my safe. It went down the road and I don't miss it.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Cheezy mags and stocks are why I sprung for a LSS.......

I really wish they made one in LH for the RAR.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 63 invisible), 17,690 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,898
Posts18,538,677
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.