Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John, didn’t say the bullets destabilized. You have even stated that moving out to the 2-300 increases the error rate. My point has always been that the rifle may not like what the heck he’s feeding it. It may never shoot that bullet and maybe with a little tweak of the load it just might. Did this awhile back with a 700 BDL in 25.06 seeing if a 110 AB would shoot. The sighter was a known load that was used to foul the tube plus I had 6 rounds left over that had to go.
Target 1-5 were all the exact charge just altered the seating depth 5 thou for each except #5 which I altered 10 thou to a jump of 25. All were in the 1-1.5” range @ 100 except 1. Now while all would be minute of deer at 200, reasonably I can expect maybe at best 2.5 to 3” or more @ 200.

[Linked Image]

I did put one of those 1.5” group loads out to 200 and it looked like this. Still minute of deer, but damn ugly.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Am still trying to figure out how that happens, without outside factors being involved.

Quite a few shooters believe bullets "destabilize" as they get farther from the muzzle, but bullets actually become more stable at "normal" ranges as velocity decreases.

I'm sure others are trying to figure it out too. I know others have said that the bullet actually stabilizes the further away it gets from the muzzle. Maybe he should shoot at 4-500 yards. I never waste my time at 200. Seems pointless in a way, unless you are limited to that distance. Maybe he should return it to Nosler and tell them that is shoots "1/2 moa at 100 and 2 moa at 200" and see what they tell him.. As for the seller that sold the rifle to him: if the op is thinking the seller sold him "junk", I feel for that guy and is one of the reasons I don't like to sell rifles. You'll sell a rifle to someone that shoots like my buddy Troy and blame it on the rifle and seller. I know the op isn't blatantly doing this, but the finger is waving in that direction a little bit. I also don't know why the op is not posting pics of the rifle or targets. It may, in fact, be a simple thing like scope mounted way to fu cking high, where you have minimal or no cheek weld. We've all seen that, or at least I have, so many times especially here recently with the use of rails and schit where guys think they have to have that to shoot at unmeasurable distances. Far beyond what any sane hunter should be shooting at critters. Things have to be consistent in order to maintain accuracy. The further you shoot, the more consistent you have to be. Eyesight even comes into play, magnification on the scope and for damn sure a parallax adjustable scope (which the op is not using), sandbags or rests and even the ammo play a big part in keeping and maintaining that consistent accuracy. And of course, like John has pointed out numerous times, wind. Hell, I put up wind flags on my 100 yard target stands. I'll watch them, keep an eye on when the wind shifts and hope for a null around the time I pull the trigger. Sometimes around here, the wind is always howling and you take what you can get, but wind does play a huge role in bullet travel, especially the further the bullet gets away from that muzzle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by captbutch

A canted scope only becomes an issue if one is twisting turrets or using hold over marks on the reticle for holdover/windage correction. And it still would not increase group size, just move it off POA. And then it would only be noticeable at extended distance.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
John, didn’t say the bullets destabilized. You have even stated that moving out to the 2-300 increases the error rate. My point has always been that the rifle may not like what the heck he’s feeding it. It may never shoot that bullet and maybe with a little tweak of the load it just might. Did this awhile back with a 700 BDL in 25.06 seeing if a 110 AB would shoot. The sighter was a known load that was used to foul the tube plus I had 6 rounds left over that had to go.
Target 1-5 were all the exact charge just altered the seating depth 5 thou for each except #5 which I altered 10 thou to a jump of 25. All were in the 1-1.5” range @ 100 except 1. Now while all would be minute of deer at 200, reasonably I can expect maybe at best 2.5 to 3” or more @ 200.

[Linked Image]

I did put one of those 1.5” group loads out to 200 and it looked like this. Still minute of deer, but damn ugly.

[Linked Image]

Your #5 is more or less what I look for when developing loads. I'd also shoot multiples of each, just to confirm the load is acceptable and consistent. As a matter of fact, I'm heading out right now to check a Tikka superlite I've been messing around with. Need to confirm a load a buddy and I shot the other day:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Time to shoot some 10 shot groups now...

Confirming and proving doesn't mean it has to be done that same day either. However, you don't shoot 100 yards with an "unproven" load one day and then expect it to miraculously shoot sub moa at any distance on a different day either...

See OP, posting pics is easy.. Anyone can do it... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bsa,

Bryan Litz has been advertising to pay the expenses of anyone who has one of those "magic rifles" that shoot better at longer ranges for several years now, and has yet to find one. That's because there's no way bullets that start out shooting mediocre groups, whether at 100 or 200 yards, can somehow curve toward the aiming point at longer ranges. Bullets do become more stable as velocity drops, because there's less air pressure on the front end, while the spin-rate stays high, but that doesn't mean they have eyes.

There's also no way to build to build something into a rifle that makes it shoot larger MOA groups at 200 yards than it shoots at 100, as long as the rifling twist adequately stabilizes the bullet in the first place. So something other than the rifle itself has to be causing country boy's problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa,

Bryan Litz has been advertising to pay the expenses of anyone who has one of those "magic rifles" that shoot better at longer ranges for several years now, and has yet to find one. That's because there's no way bullets that start out shooting mediocre groups, whether at 100 or 200 yards, can somehow curve toward the aiming point at longer ranges. Bullets do become more stable as velocity drops, because there's less air pressure on the front end, while the spin-rate stays high, but that doesn't mean they have eyes.

There's also no way to build to build something into a rifle that makes it shoot larger MOA groups at 200 yards than it shoots at 100, as long as the rifling twist adequately stabilizes the bullet in the first place. So something other than the rifle itself has to be causing country boy's problem.

I totally agree my friend. You have been hitting the nail on the head with your posts. Keep these guys in line while I go and shoot my new Tikka.... wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

I didn't say that claimed bullets "destabilize." I was pointing out that if a rifle groups well with certain loads at 100 yards (which is what country boy says) there's no physical reason the rifle itself will cause groups to open up at 200. So the answer has to lie elsewhere than the rifle itself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A worn out barrel shows up first at longer ranges.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bsa,

Well if we have eliminated rifle and scope, so I guess that only leaves 2 things, the load itself , the shooter or both.
As far as 10 shot groups, I basically have no need for them as I would rather put 20 shots inside the 10 ring on 10 different targets at the 2 or 20 into 4 different 10 rings at the 300 shooting a score match. Doing so means you have had to move your aim point to get to the next target, whether it be moveing up, down or side to side.

Swifty
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
My trick to solve the cant problem, use a level when hanging targets. I have been known to snap a chalk line on the backer that is measured using a line level. That lets me lineup along the grid lines on a target. That has helped me at 100 and 200.
Wind is a factor that I can mitigate somewhat getting to the line at 8 on opening range time and usually calm until 10. On good days it might be ok until shortly after noon.
I never really knew about parallax until reading a short paragraph here years ago and bought a good AO scope, learned a lot from that exercise.

Just putting this out there, someone may learn something from it.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or wind--or possibly inconsistent canting of the rifle.

I have seen a lot of people estimate a 5 mph wind at 2-3 mph.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Or wind--or possibly inconsistent canting of the rifle.

I have seen a lot of people estimate a 5 mph wind at 2-3 mph.

I've been pretty quick to dismiss your suggestion of wind being the problem, but I hope you're right.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not discounting wind at all. By his numbers if truly a head wind 3-5 it only drops .2” more @ the 200 than 0 wind.
I always have wind flags with me at the range, indispensable tool usually 1 @ 50, 100 and 175 so I can see 2 flags at both 100 and 200. Seen some weird things.
I wish I had a video of my 175 flag on one occasion light winds like his except measured. All was still, but while taking a break I watched the tails of that flag go straight up, then drop. Only thing that moved. Have a video of 2 flags in a 8-15 switch wind one at 50 and 75. The 50 was exactly the opposite of the 75, so I just shot through the middle where it was calm. 😳

Swifty
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
....... I was pointing out that if a rifle groups well with certain loads at 100 yards (which is what country boy says) there's no physical reason the rifle itself will cause groups to open up at 200. So the answer has to lie elsewhere than the rifle itself.

I agree. As an engineer, I have a pretty good understanding of physics and ballistics and nothing about this makes sense.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
country boy,

Thanks for reminding me of the specifics about the rifle, etc.

Some other people on this thread have also said that the two things they've seen open up groups at longer ranges are wind (especially), and to a certain extent scope parallax--though parallax normally has a far greater effect beyond 200 yards. In fact that was the very first response to your post. Do you know how to check for parallax?

I'm still doubtful about the wind, mostly because I've actually measured wind a lot. Most shooters have very little idea of wind velocity unless they do, and also don't understand how much it can affect bullet drift, even at relatively short ranges.

Combining a little parallax and wind drift can make a considerable difference, even at 200 yards.

You also mentioned that your groups at 200 were scattered side to side, while your brother's were more vertical. Somebody else mentioned a slightly canted reticle as a possibility, but this shouldn't affect group side IF the reticle is aligned with a vertical line on the target the same way for every shot. But if not, at 200 yards, tilting the rifle from shot to shot, even slightly, can make considerable difference. In fact it can make considerable difference even at 100 yards, especially with a relatively high-mounted scope. I have a buddy who was having enormous problems getting a new lightweight rifle to group accurately, and he eventually asked me to help. He'd mounted a scope with a pretty big objective, which required high mounts--and it turned out he was tilting the rifle a little, differently for each shot. I coached him some, and the problem went away.

You've also stated the rifle was rested on sandbags, front and rear. Was the same rest used both at 100 and 200? Did you check to make sure the front sling swivel stud was sufficiently in front of the bag to not bump it during recoil? Did you rest the forend on the same place every time? Some rifles can definitely be affected by forend placement.

Some relatively lightweight rifles can also be affected by the hardness of the front rest. Even sandbags can be compacted hard enough to affect groups after some shooting. With lighter-weight rifles I've found a folded towel over the front rest can make a big difference in group size, as was recently discussed on another thread.

MD, Thanks for all of these suggestions. This is exactly the kind of information and recommendations I've been looking for. I appreciate constructive criticism without treating people like they are an idiot, as I have seen so often by others. I think I would almost rather find out that I'm the culprit than it be a rifle or scope problem......

During my next range trip, I will pay particular attention to the sling studs placement, both front and back. I will also check the wind more closely. I spent a great deal of time checking the original scope (VX5) for parallax and playing with the adjustments, but could not see any problems as it was set. Both scopes have the adjustable ring on the eyepiece.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One also needs to understand that statistically he must shoot a substantial number of groups at the differing ranges to accurately know what the rifle is actually doing.

I truly believe my statement that far more 1/2" groups are fired on the internet than ever fired on the practice range

It's been a long time since I've taken classes on statistics but can assure you that to say "my rifle shoots 1/2 MOA" requires a lot of shooting to support that statement....to say that it shoots different than 1/2 MOA at greater distances requires a lot more shooting.

Can you do this?.....place two targets at 100 and 200 yards distance and one precisely behind the other such that one only has to shoot through paper at 100 yards and therefore can measure the very same (10-shot) group at both ranges.....

This should prove the theory that the MOA is different at different ranges....or possibly disprove it.....I won't speculate!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MD, on that dare of a load that shoots great @ 2-300 but won’t shoot at 100. Does this fit. Shots 1-3 grouped well shot 4 just out, shot 5 keyholed.

[Linked Image]

Or should I quantify by saying 4&5 actually hit the prop on my 50 yard flag spinning at 15 mph. 😁

[Linked Image]nbt locations near me

Just kidding.

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by country_20boy

MD, Thanks for all of these suggestions. This is exactly the kind of information and recommendations I've been looking for. I appreciate constructive criticism without treating people like they are an idiot, as I have seen so often by others. I think I would almost rather find out that I'm the culprit than it be a rifle or scope problem......

During my next range trip, I will pay particular attention to the sling studs placement, both front and back. I will also check the wind more closely. I spent a great deal of time checking the original scope (VX5) for parallax and playing with the adjustments, but could not see any problems as it was set. Both scopes have the adjustable ring on the eyepiece.

That one is for focussing the reticle. It is not the one for parallax (which is to say, bringing the target into the same focal plane as the reticle).

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by vapodog
I truly believe my statement that far more 1/2" groups are fired on the internet than ever fired on the practice range

I agreed with this 100% and maybe my original post title was misleading.

Originally Posted by vapodog

Can you do this?.....place two targets at 100 and 200 yards distance and one precisely behind the other such that one only has to shoot through paper at 100 yards and therefore can measure the very same (10-shot) group at both ranges.....

This should prove the theory that the MOA is different at different ranges....or possibly disprove it.....I won't speculate!

I think I can rig that up. Should be interesting.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dan_oz
That one is for focussing the reticle. It is not the one for parallax (which is to say, bringing the target into the same focal plane as the reticle).

Correct. And that was my first move. I made sure the reticle was focused and checked for any apparent parallax issues, but did not see any.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,110
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.