Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Any thoughts on the Pop up 18 for a day pack? I really try to limit the total amount of gear I take with me on a hunt, and am down to a 3/4 full Bandlands Diablo normally and wondering if that Pop Up 18 is just too small. I have a Kuiu Attack for really small stuff when the goats are with me and say hikes.

that's what I used all last season; wasn't fortunate enough to pack any elk out- but had it loaded several times with 60-70 lbs and it carries just fine with that load

it's a roomy 18 liters imo, I'm able to carry enough gear that I can safely spend a night out if needed

[Linked Image]

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Any thoughts on the Pop up 18 for a day pack? I really try to limit the total amount of gear I take with me on a hunt, and am down to a 3/4 full Bandlands Diablo normally and wondering if that Pop Up 18 is just too small. I have a Kuiu Attack for really small stuff when the goats are with me and say hikes.

that's what I used all last season; wasn't fortunate enough to pack any elk out- but had it loaded several times with 60-70 lbs and it carries just fine with that load

it's a roomy 18 liters imo, I'm able to carry enough gear that I can safely spend a night out if needed

[Linked Image]

I have two questions. First, do you mind my asking, what gear you have attached to the underside of the pack in your photo? That is one of the options I intend for my tripod. And second, I'd like a blaze orange pennant like yours for when I'm hunting public land. Could you please tell me where you got yours? Mystery ranch has them, but they double as extra storage and are a bit pricey. Thanks.

BTW, love your choice of firearm. I have a few Featherweights. Depending on the game, one of them always gets the nod.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/07/19.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Certainly smile underneath is an OR dry bag, want to say it’s 5 liters, in it is a 50 degree Apex quilt- it has a “poncho” slot so I can slip it over me when I’m glassing. In a pinch I’d use it with the bivy I carry for an unexpected night out.

I carry a folded up ccf pad (like a z-rest) behind the pack, this is where my tripod and folded up trekking poles go as well. Completely out of the way.

The orange is from Orangeaglow- easily removable and go pack to pack (I also use their vest- super light$

I have two Featherweights- there are certainly lighter rifles, but damn they are pretty smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
mtwarden, Thanks for the info. I ordered the PU 28.

And I concur. The Featherweights are pretty as hell.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thumbs up smile

IC B2

R
R
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I think I’m either going to get the mule or the pop-up if I go with a Mystery Ranch ... I’ve also been eying up the Eberlestock X2. Do you folks know a couple good internet stores to keep an eye on these packs to see if I can catch a sale of some sort? Thanks

I have a Mystery Ranch Crewcab (similar to that Mule but with vertical wing pockets on either side in addition to the main bag, and with a big meat shelf for hauling quarters or dry bags...) and a Pop Up 18. Either will do fine as a day pack, and haul a heavy load of meat. If you're backpacking in, I'd go with the more substantial frame, either a NICE frame (there's a used one for sale with Medium suspension over on Kifaru Forums that's been there for weeks at $175) or the newer, fancier, lighter Guide Light frame...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.