Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe neither here nor there, but Jeff Sipe was in charge at MRC and is now Rifle Division Manager at Nosler. Seems like a big change for Sipe, who took over the company from his dad.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Maybe neither here nor there, but Jeff Sipe was in charge at MRC and is now Rifle Division Manager at Nosler. Seems like a big change for Sipe, who took over the company from his dad.

So, did Mr. Sipe voluntarily leave MRC for greener pastures, or, was he forced out by a new owner looking to improve company culture?

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I received a call today from MRC to notify me that my rifle should be shipping in the next week or so, I was told I would get a call upon the actual ship date with the explanation of the scope of work performed .

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
MRC has had the rifle 2 months as of today. My last contact was to tell me the rifle was waiting for ammo to test fire , and everyone was at the shot show so they wouldn't be able to finish it up until everyone got back. I guess partying in Vegas was more important, It has been 2 months to the day since they received it. I could have secured parts and had one built in this amount of time. As far as I m concerned this is a total fail at this point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
itz funny. how this place in general will absoluteky excoriate one compamy for sending out a 1300 dollar lemon, yet look at all the known problems with kimber montaans and yet those issues shpuld almost be acceoted as par and the gun still be considered a bargain

Not to mention the entire cottage industry designed around 700s to get them to work safely and properly....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Kimber Montana is a very good and unique design (a lightweight CRF hunting rifle). The problem is, Kimber has poor QC, and releases problem guns into the market. Still, it is a good design, that can't be obtained in any other "factory" gun. Thus, people put up with the poor QC and fix the problems themselves to end up with a nice little rifle.

Montana Rifles puts out a Winchester clone, which MRC advertises as a "premium" rifle. In other words, the only thing the MRC rifle has going for it is its supposed high quality. Consequently, the brand's value is reduced to zero when it turns out the rifles are actually POSs.

JMHO

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What a shi_ty company.

Folks, just buy a Model 70 and be done with it.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by gitem_12
itz funny. how this place in general will absoluteky excoriate one compamy for sending out a 1300 dollar lemon, yet look at all the known problems with kimber montaans and yet those issues shpuld almost be acceoted as par and the gun still be considered a bargain

Not to mention the entire cottage industry designed around 700s to get them to work safely and properly....

700s work just fine out of the box and have been since 1962. They let QC stuff slide too from time to time...but the difference is you can't but a Montana for less than $400 at Walmart. There is also the fact that Remingtons customer service is excellent and pretty consistent.

I think the cottage industry built up around 700s comes from the fact that they are such wonderful platforms for super accurate guns and everybody and their brother has a pile of them. Let's face it...people like tinker.

Im not making excuses for Remington but its not fair to compare them to a Montana or a Kimber frankly unless your talking custom shop guns, in which case id take the pepsi challenge any day of the week.

Last edited by Quak; 02/04/19.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
700s:
myriad lawsuits about their fail on fire safeties, including quite a few members here
safety does not lock the bolt
bolt handle has a sporadic history of coming off in your hand
flimsy, sheet metal extractor has a higher than average failure rate if dust & dirt gets behind it as catalogued by the Rhodesian (Zimbabwe) Professional Hunters Association

THAT is what the cottage industry is about...mostly

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jorgeI
700s:
myriad lawsuits about their fail on fire safeties, including quite a few members here
safety does not lock the bolt
bolt handle has a sporadic history of coming off in your hand
flimsy, sheet metal extractor has a higher than average failure rate if dust & dirt gets behind it as catalogued by the Rhodesian (Zimbabwe) Professional Hunters Association

THAT is what the cottage industry is about...mostly

I'm not saying the 700 is flawless. But I don't understand why the military has used the factory 700 extractor in combat for almost 50 years but it cannot handle the African continent. The safari boys have got a pretty narrow range of what's acceptable sometimes. Maybe it's the English influence. You know the guys who hunt in a suit and tie? And drink tea with a pinky up? Good thing we never were at war in Africa cause all the US sniper rifles would have been useless with bolt handles falling off and failing extractors. Geez

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Horseman
[
I'm not saying the 700 is flawless. But I don't understand why the military has used the factory 700 extractor in combat for almost 50 years but it cannot handle the African continent.

that's because they didn't. They replaced the extractor and a whole bunch of other items.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can’t speak to the other services guns but our M40’s were standard Remington extractors along with the 40X triggers. In 21 years I never saw a bolt handle come off of one or an extractor break. I’m sure plenty of the guns went down but none of the ones I were around failed in anyway but to deliver accurate fire.

Debating on the suitability of them is cool for the net but the guns themselves worked well through nasty conditions. Much worse dirt in Afg and Iraq than I ever experienced in Africa. I’d imagine it’s the same story, just because you’re a professional guide doesn’t automatically make you an all knowing rifleman.

Mean no offense in my statement just stating what I have seen from use of the guns.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Military 700’s use standard extractors as beretzs stated above.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
This has gotten laughable. Number one selling sporting rifle of all time is junk. One of the longest serving American military rifles of all time is junk. Thanks jorgI for enlightening the un-washed

I’ll start clearing my jams and administering cpr to those I’ve killed with my negligent discharges when my trigger broke and pointed the gun at someone automatically.

Has anyone seen my bolt handles?

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
link

"Remington 700. The 700 may be a very fine hunting rifle. I don't know because I've never used one, but I do know that it is a piss poor dangerous game rifle especially in .416 Rem caliber. Apart from the odd inexplicable misfire, a broken extractor cost us an elephant wounded and lost at Rifa. This is not the first year that I've seen a broken extractor on a Remington 700 in .416 either. In addition they are just about the hardest rifle to refill the magazine in a hurry. My memories this year of students and candidates using them is that of youngsters frantically trying to thrust cartridges into the mag, only to have a double feed, the rounds pop straight back out or many other problems. A two round reload took on average, twice as long with the Model 700's as it did with just about any other make of rifle. The difference between the Remington and the Weatherby is that the latter can be downloaded a little so as to operate flawlessly and the safety fixed, whilst I do not know that anything can be done with the Remingtons except to re-barrel them to a plains game cartridge and leave them at home when out after the dangerous stuff. To be fair though, all of the extraction problems seem to be confined to rifles in .416 and .375. and they seem reasonably reliable in .458 provided you are prepared to tolerate the awkwardness of the reload. I am not. A good single shot or even a Weatherby is a better choice."

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Nothing better than advice from someone who’s never used one

Quak OUT

GOD Bless America
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MRC has had the rifle 2 months as of today. My last contact was to tell me the rifle was waiting for ammo to test fire , and everyone was at the shot show so they wouldn't be able to finish it up until everyone got back. I guess partying in Vegas was more important, It has been 2 months to the day since they received it. I could have secured parts and had one built in this amount of time. As far as I m concerned this is a total fail at this point.

Two months?! So they leave to spend a week or so at SHOT hoping to lure a few of the tens of thousands attending who are busy looking at who-knows-how-many thousands of other products. Meanwhile, this thread has had 4,000+ views by serious gun people, among them, potential future clients, but MRC can't be bothered to take a few hours out of their busy schedule to make right a current customer's gun that they sold with a defect! Wow, pure marketing genius on their part!

And to think, at one time I was seriously considering them for a future purchase, but I've read a few too many of these types of threads about them. Not now.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bhemry

Two months?! So they leave to spend a week or so at SHOT hoping to lure a few of the tens of thousands attending who are busy looking at who-knows-how-many thousands of other products. Meanwhile, this thread has had 4,000+ views by serious gun people, among them, potential future clients, but MRC can't be bothered to take a few hours out of their busy schedule to make right a current customer's gun that they sold with a defect! Wow, pure marketing genius on their part!

And to think, at one time I was seriously considering them for a future purchase, but I've read a few too many of these types of threads about them. Not now.

Funny , I was really hoping to have only positive reports/updates on this issue. I WANT AMERICAN COMPANIES TO SUCCEED! In addition I would really like to have my 1300.00 rifle back in working order. They had every chance to do it right( as stated this was a golden opportunity for good PR)and yet here we are.Sad,.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by 4th_point

So, did Mr. Sipe voluntarily leave MRC for greener pastures, or, was he forced out by a new owner looking to improve company culture?

Sorry, lost track of this tread and just saw your post.

I don't know the exact reason for his departure, but do know that there is family in Oregon, where Nosler is located.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BCJR
Originally Posted by bhemry

Funny , I was really hoping to have only positive reports/updates on this issue. I WANT AMERICAN COMPANIES TO SUCCEED! In addition I would really like to have my 1300.00 rifle back in working order. They had every chance to do it right( as stated this was a golden opportunity for good PR)and yet here we are.Sad,.

I want them to deserve to succeed. Propping up failure with my money isn't part of my economic plan. Anyone can mess up, but correcting one's errors should come before cranking out more new ones. A late delivery will be forgotten as soon as it finally shows. A cluster f*ck like this will stick in the customer's craw forever.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 3,319 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,734
Posts18,535,263
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.