-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While stalking and sneaking through the elk woods, I hate having a pack on my back.
I believe it really helps my stealth mode to hunt that way.

When I make a kill, I'll prep the animal and haul a ham or shoulder like in the above photo on my way back to camp then return with my backpack to take out the next load.

Maybe not right, but just my way of doing it.

I do however need a better pack than my old metal framed hauler.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I never leave camp without a light day pack with enough gear to spend a cold night out if necessary. If I score, I'll gut and skin it, then leave it whole to stiffen up. Meanwhile, I go back to camp for my llamas. For more tender meat, I give them as much time as possible to cool and go into rigor. It's better if they come out of rigor before boning, but that can take several days. I've left them whole in the field overnight many times and that makes the best meat of all. Of course there are bears and wolves to consider but so far I've been lucky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a good sized fanny pack with all of my butchering utensils and fire starting/survival gear in it.
I've just never liked stalking or sneaking through the woods with a big noise maker on my back.
I've sacrificed the luxuries of what I could possibly bring with me for what I feel is an added edge of stealth.
True, I may regret it someday.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Small day with cleaning and fire making necessities.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Beaver10
What’s the trick to keeping them following along, tether them? My luck as a first time Shepherd, I would have these suckers scattered all over a mountain side to the point I’d be so frustrated, I just start shooting them hoping some would get the message that Noah ain’t playing around with loading the Ark. 😎

You might not have the genetics for shepherding.

grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by markopolo50
Nobody using the Barney's pack? No not the purple Barney, the Barneys Sport Chalet in Anchorge backpack. I haven't used it for elk but have for sheep and caribou in Alaska. Should have had it for the moose instead of the Alice!!

https://barneyssports.com/product-category/default-category/packs-bags/external-frame/

I've packed a couple sheep and a few caribou, and a couple moose out with mine. But never an elk.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I might have found my huckleberry in a day hunting pack/hauler. Past couple seasons I’ve burned a few packs that either didn’t stabilize a load well enough or lacked bag capacity for the must have items I carry hunting off grid.

It’s a lot to ask of a hybrid pack to handle a heavy load out of some difficult terrain, where a stand alone, well built freighter is preferable.

It came down between Kifaru or Mystery Ranch. I went with a MR called “The Mule”. This pack has the upgraded frame instead of the “Nice” frame. Main difference is a little smaller footprint and better ability to snug up a heavy load to the frame and my back then the older frame.

I did order up a couple of “belt pockets” that slide on each side of the waist straps for access to noc and scope wipes, etc.

Only thing it lacks that I wish it had is a “hoist handle” to grab to help lift it up and on to my shoulders.

I got lucky and found this pack on eBay used but as new for a good price...Next fur season will tell me it’s truth if it works for me.

This has been a helpful thread. Gave me a lot of information on some really good packs and haulers to read about...Thanks! 😎

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I really like the Kifaru cargo panel with pockets for hauling....

[Linked Image]fifth third branch locations near me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never bought a Kifaru bag. The cargo panel and meat bags or a duffel do everything I need.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,823
Posts18,477,875
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.