Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I know this depends on a lot of things. Powder , individual barrel , etc..
I also know each rifle will tell you when it needs to be cleaned .

So with calibers such as the 300 wsm , 300 wm , etc. how many any rds till you notice accuracy falling off ?

Last edited by Stilllearning; 02/10/19.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
I know this depends on a lot of things.

Yep. I've never shot the chamberings you mentioned to the point I saw the accuracy fall off without cleaning at some point. Mainly because it's no fun to shoot that many with a .300 magnum. But I just wanted to point out the opposite is true with some rifles, if you clean down to bare metal. I've had a few that needed several rounds down the bore before they settled down and shot like they were capable of.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
I know this depends on a lot of things. Powder , individual barrel , etc..

So with calibers such as the 300 wsm , 300 wm , etc. how many any rds till you notice accuracy falling off ?

There was a time when I shot at a private range weekly, sometimes twice a week. I shoot at the "bench rest" range".

I would watch guys shoot 3 or 4 shots, then clean, and repeat the process, and then bitch that they could not get their rifle to group.

IMHO folks over-clean their rifle barrels.

BTW, how long has it been since you put 75 to 100 rounds down the tube on your 300 Win Mag at the range, doing load development, or to see how many rounds it takes before accuracy begins to fall off.

If you are at a benchand are not using something like a lead sled with weight, even if your rifle has a brake, I'd be more inclined to believe one will develop a flinch that will be much more detrimental to accuracy than barrel fouling.

In the field at any reasonable distance with the heart pumping and chest heaving, and the critter moving, how do you tell if your "group" has opened up by 1/2 MOA.

Quien Sabe?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could get light to shine through the bore of my dedicated hunting rifles I would show you how fouled they are...grins

All kidding aside, I’d bet my .300 has 100 rounds or close too it through the barrel without a cleaning- may not be a 1/2” gun, but I’d bet it holds 3/4 all day...this particular rifle is a factory offering .300 win mag that has 1800rds fires. Only rifle I have ever kept track of. I did over clean when it was new, and saw inconsistencies far more then when it’s fouled.

Every circumstance is different...I am lazy, but tell myself I am too busy for the annoying stuff....Like cleaning for instance.

Last edited by MK257; 02/10/19.

MK
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted by geedubya
[quote=Stilllearning]I know this depends on a lot of things. Powder , individual barrel , etc..

There was a time when I shot at a private range weekly, sometimes twice a week. I shoot at the "bench rest" range".

I would watch guys shoot 3 or 4 shots, then clean, and repeat the process, and then bitch that they could not get their rifle to group.

IMHO folks over-clean their rifle barrels.

BTW, how long has it been since you put 75 to 100 rounds down the tube on your 300 Win Mag at the range, doing load development, or to see how many rounds it takes before accuracy begins to fall off.

If you are at a benchand are not using something like a lead sled with weight, even if your rifle has a brake, I'd be more inclined to believe one will develop a flinch that will be much more detrimental to accuracy than barrel fouling.

In the field at any reasonable distance with the heart pumping and chest heaving, and the critter moving, how do you tell if your "group" has opened up by 1/2 MOA.

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Well I actually shot at my range earlier this week.
No I did not shoot 75- 100 rds , but I did put 25 down the tube.
This is where this rifle seems to need cleaning .
Flinch ? Got the rifle back out the next day. Shot a 3 shot group and accuracy was not what it was supposed to be. Cleaned rifle good.
Shot 2 foulers , and accuracy was back to normal. This seems to be the pattern this rifle shows.

This is why I asked the question !

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Shoot. Thought ths was a thread about Liger Hunting

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't really count rounds down the barrel. I clean when I feel it (I?) needs it - can't recall ever cleaning because the accuracy deteriorated. But then I only shoot effusively when working up a load for a "new" gun. Almost never get to 100 rounds doing that.

In a good year for an "established" hunting rifle - 3 (doesn't always work out this way) - One to check scope setting after getting it out of storage, one to drop the game, one insurance shot if needed from close up. Sometimes only two if no insurance is called for.. Clean and put away until next use - always if it got wet, from precipitation or condensation. If it got really wet, it is a complete (or nearly so - I don't unscrew the barrel!) dissassembly. The next session usually calls for a 3 shot group after storage. sometimes (seldom) more if needed.

If not wet, I might go 6 rounds, or even 10-25...multiple years, tho I do run a dry patch down the bore prior to that first shot after storage. Bugs....dust.... cobwebs... just for luck....

I did have one '98 with a pitted bore that shot 1.25 inch groups after cleaning and about 15 rounds.... 6 inch groups right after cleaning. I didn't clean that one much. - probably every 10 years or so. I eventually rebarreled it.

Last edited by las; 02/10/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
All depends on the barrel. My bartlein barrel, every 150 rds. My savage barrel, every 30 rds. It begins to copper foul. I would say that most factory rifles probably need cleaned about every 50 or 60 rnds. It simply depends on how smooth the barrel is.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I go to the range once or twice a week (during Winter time only) I will take two to five rifles and fire each 15 to 20 rounds testing different handloads so I never see a fall off in accuracy and I will thoroughly clean my rifles after each range session....I love a super clean rifle......👍.....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would clean my 300 saum once or twice a year. Roughly every 300 rounds. It shot like crap until I got the barrel dirty again. My 243 is the same deal. Shoots like shyt until I foul the barrel.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I go to the range once or twice a week (during Winter time only) I will take two to five rifles and fire each 15 to 20 rounds testing different handloads so I never see a fall off in accuracy and I will thoroughly clean my rifles after each range session....I love a super clean rifle......👍.....Hb

This makes no sense to me but if it works for you, keep on keepin' on. smile

Last edited by SKane; 02/11/19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
This might stir some people up but I clean all my firearms every time they are used. Don't know if is my upbringing or what. I figure when I need it most I don't want it to be gunked up. I also don't rely on fouling shots either. My thoughts on rifle accuracy is what will it do (5 shots) with a cold clean barrel. I was taught to care for my tools. More power to you if something else works for you.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Have read that ‘excessive’ (read too frequent) cleaning of a barrel often causes more harm than good.

That said, I do give a gun a good wipe-down every time it is handled.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DCR48
This might stir some people up but I clean all my firearms every time they are used. Don't know if is my upbringing or what. I figure when I need it most I don't want it to be gunked up. I also don't rely on fouling shots either. My thoughts on rifle accuracy is what will it do (5 shots) with a cold clean barrel. I was taught to care for my tools. More power to you if something else works for you.

[Linked Image]

Whether its an actual hunt or just to the range, I too wipe my rifles down, which typically include wiping down the bolt. I will either use Ballistol, or Kroil. I've never had a problem with a "gunked" up barrel unless I've dropped muzzle first in the dirt.

YMMV.

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

This makes no sense to me but if it works for you, keep on keepin' on. smile

Yeah I cant put a rifle with a dirty bore back in My safe, To avoid excessive wear I dont run a bunch of patches through my rifle bores and I never use any kind of brush (even nylon) after a good soaking with Wipe-out bore cleaner it takes only a few patches to have my barrels thoroughly clean with no copper fouling left (I shoot a lot of Barnes TTSX/TSX bullets)...... I used to shoot .22lr matches at a few of My local clubs and i remember many members had your same philosophy, they swore they never cleaned the bore of their rimfire rifles but to their horror I (and a few others) would clean our barrel bores at the end of the match and without fail at least one member would approach me and tell me how bad i was screwing up even though I might even have just won the match 😁 (I did win a few) ....I take meticulous care of everything I own from my guns to My truck and motorcycle all the way down to my lawn mowers and the hand tools in my shed...It works for me .....good shooting....Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
During load work up I might clean every 20-40 rounds especially if switching components especially powders. Then once that is done I might go two years between thorough cleanings. Probably will get flack for this but I will run a patch with Kroil in a fouled barrel for storage then a dry one before next use. I have not had any corrosion doing this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Tejano
During load work up I might clean every 20-40 rounds especially if switching components especially powders. Then once that is done I might go two years between thorough cleanings. Probably will get flack for this but I will run a patch with Kroil in a fouled barrel for storage then a dry one before next use. I have not had any corrosion doing this.

Hey, if it works for you more power to ya! 👍......Good shooting....Hb

G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
As stated above it depends upon the barrel. Each practice session starts with at least one group and I don’t clean a barrel until groups open up. Some rifles that was 15 rounds others it was 500.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I pull a bore snake through a barrel after shooting if its over 25-30 rounds, maybe 2-3 pulls. Maybe once a year in the winter i'll do a full clean.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Have read that ‘excessive’ (read too frequent) cleaning of a barrel often causes more harm than good.

can anyone define the demarcation line between excessive and non-excessive cleaning?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.