Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My list of companies I'll not purchase. What others?

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutes can be limiting. Warranty terms are just another "feature" of a product, and I consider them along with price on a purchase. Wouldn't let it stop me from buying something that otherwise met my need. Also, while I have sold a few scopes, the turnover rate for them is far lower than for guns, so again the impact of a non-transferable warranty is less.

The only time it might give me pause is if I was contempating an expensive item, but wasn't sure if It was really what I wanted. In general though, I buy stuff I plan to keep, not resell.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Add Leica to the lst.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

You can add Leica to that list. Pitiful practice for a company that commands a premium price.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What else besides optics comes with a lifetime warranty in your life? Vortex started this trend and in time I'm sure these companies will regret it. Sure its awesome for the consumer but I don't think its fair for the companies. There will be people who abuse the warranty.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bhoges
What else besides optics comes with a lifetime warranty in your life? Vortex started this trend and in time I'm sure these companies will regret it. Sure its awesome for the consumer but I don't think its fair for the companies. There will be people who abuse the warranty.

You give Vortex too much credit. They followed Leupold's lead, as did Swaro. Vortex hasn't had an original idea since their inception.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You give Vortex too much credit. They followed Leupold's lead, as did Swaro. Vortex hasn't had an original idea since their inception.

laugh laugh
That's what I love about ya JG - we're never left wondering how you feel. grin

I'll add that unlike Leupold and Swarovski (with the possible exception of a few of the higher end models), Vortex doesn't repair anything - that's why they issue replacement.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, I'll be all damned day trying to find receipts when I get home!

GOOD LIST
Leupold
SWFA
Swarovski
Vortex

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bhoges

I have a lifetime warranty , fully transferrable warranty on My Zeiss Binos and Victory scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stuff breaks, I've used the warranty from almost every optics company I've owned scopes from. I don't feel comfortable owning a scope that the company doesn't fully stand behind. That said, I also don't buy a scope based off reports of their great customer service and warranty. If that were a big selling point I'd own more Vortex and Leupolds.

Last edited by wareagle700; 02/10/19.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by JGRaider

laugh laugh
That's what I love about ya JG - we're never left wondering how you feel. grin

I'll add that unlike Leupold and Swarovski (with the possible exception of a few of the higher end models), Vortex doesn't repair anything - that's why they issue replacement.

Vortex has made a couple of repairs for me over the years, but you’re right that they typically replace things rather than repair.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Really you'll need to read the fine print on what some companies consider lifetime. Lots of companies mean the life of the product, not your lifetime. Meaning when that company discontinues that specific model, it no longer warranties it. Consumer goods are so competitive in terms of quality these days that customer service is really what makes decisions for me. Ive used the warranty from Leupold, Vortex and Nikon in the last 2 years. Non transferrable warranites are a way to keep people paying higher prices vs getting equipment from the secondary market.

Leupold replaced 10 year old binos with the newest model they had at the time. Replacement time was about 2 weeks.
Nikon repalced a 20+ year old Monarch with new Monarch, because mine was an AO and they didn't have one, they also sent me a new Prostaff spotting scope. Replacement time was about 5 weeks
Voretx, I inherited an old Sparc on an AR, just stopped powering on one day, Vortex had a new model at my door in under 2 weeks.

Other great companies, optics aside:

Redding
Harris
RCBS
XS sights
Scalarworks
Trijicon
Cameraland
Benelli

Im sure there are some im forgetting, these are jsut those in the last few years that I can recall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only optics I've returned for warranty work have been red dots; a Bushnell Trophy, and a Vortex Sparc II. Dealing with Bushnell was like trying to capture an oiled snake. They finally sent me a scope in exchange to shut me up. Vortex managed to find a NIB replacesment for my discontinued model, and the turnaround was pretty quick.

Wouldn't be surprised if, as I start to spend more time with fewer rifles, some of my scopes start to crap, although since most are light kickers and I'm not much of a dialer, that may not happen.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Burris has a transferable

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Forgot to add Burris to the list....replaced a Fastfire 3 for me, no problem.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A lifetime transferable warranty is rather a new thing with optics.It used to be you bought what you liked and kept it forever or until it failed.Even out of warranty items were fixed for a small fee or nothing.I don`t care if my warranty is transferable or not as I buy the scope I like and keep it when I sell the firearm for my next rifle.So products I have had replaced or repaired before the forever warranty were from Leupold,Swarovski,Burris and Redfield.The forever transferable warranty is a bonus,not a buying point for me.I seldom buy used optics so that does not affect me either.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

I wouldn’t buy either Hawke or Nikon. But their warranty isn’t on the list as to why I wouldn’t buy those brands

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

I wouldn’t buy either Hawke or Nikon. But their warranty isn’t on the list as to why I wouldn’t buy those brands

Awesome contribution to the thread. Thanks for sharing your story. grin

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/10/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

GOOD LIST
Leupold
SWFA
Swarovski
Vortex
Burris
Trijico
Athlon (Hawke are you listening?)

Buck Knives and Warne to the extraneous.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/10/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

I agree.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dale06

No thanks HAWKE.
No thanks NIKON.

I agree.

Yes, your two cents are appreciated. smile

Nightforce?
Bushnell?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.