Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am looking at buying a very early model 29 (made in the late 1950s). I am concerned about its strength as far as modern 44 mag loads are concerned. I do not have any firearms that I do not shoot so it will get plenty use.

Any input on this matter??

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot a couple 29s lose. That won't happen to a 27.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've shot a couple loose enough to require factory service, back in the '80s. One a no dash and the other a 29-1.
One had to be replaced. Go easy on the earlier 29s. I own a 629-4, which has the full endurance package - but still wouldn'r feed it what I would a Redhawk or SRH. Beautiful revolvers though and I'll always own at least one.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The early ones did have a tendency to "shoot loose" They added the endurance kit to later models for a reason. That being said unless you want full house loads on a consistent basis they will hold up to more than most will shoot in a life time. Do the normal checks as it is used, End shake being a big one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I consider early 29s to be .44 Specials that can occasionally handle full Magnum for special purposes, such as big game or bear defense.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This is my very nice 29-2. When I got it, it looked very little used (still does). I've only put like 50 rounds of full magnums through it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fotis
I am looking at buying a very early model 29 (made in the late 1950s). I am concerned about its strength as far as modern 44 mag loads are concerned. I do not have any firearms that I do not shoot so it will get plenty use.

If you're asking, you might want to get a -4 or later. IMO though, guns like you describe are fine with 240 grain loads at say 1400 fps, IOW normal old-school, 44 Mags. If you're shooting these fire-breathing 300 grainers, you probably want something different. Of course if your gun has already been shot a lot, then all bets are off.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you guys. In your opinion when did the model 29 loose the smoothness of the original models???? After the pinned and recessed were gone????

μολὼν λαβέ

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thank you guys. In your opinion when did the model 29 loose the smoothness of the original models???? After the pinned and recessed were gone????

That would be dash 3. The dash 3 (1983) changes (getting rid of pinned barrels and recessed chambers) were largely for cheapening production costs, but some of the changes were legitimately for increasing durability with heavy loads.

If you have a pre-83 Model 29, do most of your shooting with lead .44 "Magnum" light loads, or .44 Special lead loads, and it will last several lifetimes. Save the full power jacketed heavy Magnums for big game hunting or bear defense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Stick with 10 grains of Unique and a 240 grain cast SWC type load or the equivalent and you will be G2G for many thousands of rounds.

This old -2 has had many thousands of rounds, and it still is fine. When it was my only .44 I ran heavy loads through it, but they were maybe 3 to 5% of the rounds fired overall. The N Frames are not nearly as "delicate" as internet and gunshop myth has made them out to be. No, they will not take many thousands of full house 300+ grain loads, but the very vast majority of owners are never going to shoot that many hot loads in their lifetime anyways.

[Linked Image]

Stick with standard 240 grain loads for 95% of your shooting and use the heavy loads sparingly and you will most likely never have a problem. Even then, correcting some endshake is not too tough, and it is an extremely rare gun that has been shot to the point of being not repairable.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, Hickok45 says that his old Model 29 has been repaired a couple of times since he bought it in the 1970s. He used to compete with it in, I believe, steel silhouette matches.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Mackay, I'm not seeing a barrel pin on your -2. Is that just due to lack of detail in the picture?

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Mackay, I'm not seeing a barrel pin on your -2. Is that just due to lack of detail in the picture?

noticed that also

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Stick with 10 grains of Unique and a 240 grain cast SWC type load or the equivalent and you will be G2G for many thousands of rounds.

This old -2 has had many thousands of rounds, and it still is fine. When it was my only .44 I ran heavy loads through it, but they were maybe 3 to 5% of the rounds fired overall. The N Frames are not nearly as "delicate" as internet and gunshop myth has made them out to be. No, they will not take many thousands of full house 300+ grain loads, but the very vast majority of owners are never going to shoot that many hot loads in their lifetime anyways.

[Linked Image]

Stick with standard 240 grain loads for 95% of your shooting and use the heavy loads sparingly and you will most likely never have a problem. Even then, correcting some endshake is not too tough, and it is an extremely rare gun that has been shot to the point of being not repairable.

Nice Herrett Troopers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no experience with the newest guns, but IMO most of them are pretty smooth. The Bangor Punta models were widely decried as inferior but...I dunno. Most of the ones I've owned were fine. I've owned a bunch of them too including old ones, Bangor's, etc. I'd say finding a smooth one is a crap shoot because I'm guessing the one you're looking at has been shot and even if they were a little burry, they smooth up.

One of the ones I REALLY wish I had back was a 4" nickel which a gunstore employee just sat there and dry-fired over and over and over. It was the smoothest one I've ever owned. Dang, now if I win the lottery I'll have to get a couple more 29's and I don't need them at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is my very nice 29-2. When I got it, it looked very little used (still does). I've only put like 50 rounds of full magnums through it.

[Linked Image]

Nice gun; I'm envious. sick

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks. I bought it about twenty years ago. It was pre owned, but obviously not much used.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep, Hickok45 says that his old Model 29 has been repaired a couple of times since he bought it in the 1970s. He used to compete with it in, I believe, steel silhouette matches.

IHMSA shooters I knew had them get loose.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Smith told me back in the day to keep my 240gr loads in the 1250 fps neighborhood and the revolver would be A-OKAY.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a M29-2 6 1/2" I bought in 1978 lasted a year and a half before the barrel needed replacing and the firing pin. 10.0grains of Unique and a 225 gr RCBS semi wadcutter mold with gas check. The barrel face burned out and it was spitting burning powder bad. Smith replaced the barrel and pitted fire pin. Took about 11,000 rds as I recall, summer of 79 I competed at the Second Chance National street Combat match (bowling pins). Most guys used semi autos but that big Smith and I were good friends. Bought a 8 3/8" M629 in January of 81, second year of production,it's never been the gun that old M29 was. Over the years selling that M29 has been 1 of my greatest regrets. 5-6 years back I picked up a blued M29-3 6" it's okay but it ain't the gun the 29-2 was either. Now days I use a 250 gr Keith SWC 429421 and 9 gr of Unique or big dose of 2400. Some will argue the point but I feel if you want to shoot full throttle jacketed bullet loads go buy a Redhawk because they are heavier made for that, those loads will beat a SW to death and you won't be happy about it. I've had to learn more than a few things in life the hard way, but I never had to learn any of them twice. Magnum Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's very little a stoutly loaded, lead, .44 Special load can't do about as well as a full Magnum load. It's mainly a matter of flattened trajectory in the Magnums vs the Specials.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes an older 29 will shoot loose with full house mag loads but who cares?

-2 and older are beauties and shooting full house 44 mags is mostly stupid anyway. Especially in 2019.

The -3's catch a lot of schit but I have a 6" that will go 6 for 6 on milk jugs at a 100yds. It's a shootah.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've had a six inch 29-2 for years. An article in Gun Digest a ways back suggested an 80-20 ratio of using mid range loads most of the time and full loads when really needed. Mas Ayoob wrote an article for American Handgunner called, I think, The 4 by 44, about four inch Smiths and stated he had three, one shooting, one just back from repair and one out for repair. I have lived by that 80-20, probably 90-10 for me, and my 29 is still tight. Arthritis keeps me from shooting it much now. My three screw Super Blackhawk, in the family since my late brother got it new, has never had anything but factory or equivalent loads and is tight even now.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With factory loads and now reloading data being powder puff loads compared to the older factory loads and reloading data I would figure the elderly M29's would last almost indefinitely with them.
Thousands and thousands of these cream puff loads shouldnt even begin to leave the faintness of faint use.
Much less the wearingness and tearingness of the hottness of the pressure-fullness of the young age loads.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 02/13/19.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
With factory loads and now reloading data being powder puff loads compared to the older factory loads and reloading data I would figure the elderly M29's would last almost indefinitely with them.
Thousands and thousands of these cream puff loads shouldnt even begin to leave the faintness of faint use.
Much less the wearingness and tearingness of the hottness of the pressure-fullness of the young age loads.

Post a pic of your 29-2.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is a miracle. An absolute miracle. I asked about the creampuff loads nowadays. As watered down as they are there shouldnt be any problem. They are watered down arent they?
Its a miracle and absolute miracle.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It is a miracle. An absolute miracle. I asked about the creampuff loads nowadays. As watered down as they are there shouldnt be any problem. They are watered down arent they?

Post a pic of your 29-2.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Post a pic of your 29-2.

I traded all my 44 Mags for a 380 Auto. With the downloaded creampuff 44 loads a 380 Auto is better.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good effort.

But we can all see the truth.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good effort.

I know I have. With the downloaded 44 Magnum i am going with the 380 Auto. If I could just get a 380 in a full size 1911 in 380 Auto life would be good.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 02/13/19.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good effort.

I know I have. With the downloaded 44 Magnum i am going with the 380 Auto. If I could just get a 380 in a full size 1911 in 380 Auto life would be good.

Are you done attempting your nonsense?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good effort.

I was just wondering why, with the watering down of the 44 Magnum ammo, plus all the loading data why an elderly M29 wouldnt last for an indefinite time. Wasnt that why the loads were watered down? Since I am not a ballistic expert i would like to know since ive never seen a 44 Magnum

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So you don't own one? Is that what you're saying?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

One what?

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good effort.

I was just wondering why, with the watering down of the 44 Magnum ammo, plus all the loading data why an elderly M29 wouldnt last for an indefinite time. Wasnt that why the loads were watered down? Since I am not a ballistic expert i would like to know since ive never seen a 44 Magnum

Look it up using Google and come to your own conclusions. Then come back to us with your findings siting link, paragraph and graphs depicting what you seek...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One what?

Yes, is the answer to your question. You’re a tool! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10

One what?

Yes, is the answer to your question. You’re a tool! 😎

I have many tools they come in handy when working on home projects.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Poor dufus can't afford one.

LMAO

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Poor dufus can't afford one.

LMAO

I have bought many tool in my life. I just said I have many.

HE MENTORS ME.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
1957 vintage pre 29 4 screw:
[Linked Image]

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by desertoakie
[Linked Image]

Beautiful firearm. You should be able to shoot untold thousands of the now creampuff loads of today through it.

HE MENTORS ME.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
a few (4) 29s in this picture, back when I was enamored with camo Pachmayrs a couple years ago!
[Linked Image]

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Some 629s. The no dash one in the lower left, I had converted to .380 a few years back.
[Linked Image]

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Some 629s. The no dash one in the lower left, I had converted to .380 a few years back.
[Linked Image]

I bet the one in 380 is hard to hang on to.

HE MENTORS ME.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
1957 vintage pre-29 4-screw nickel in .32 auto:

[Linked Image]

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
[Linked Image]

Beautiful! I bought my blue 8-3/8ths barreled 29 in 1981, don't know what 'dash' it was, do know I had a bag of 400 Remington 240gr scalloped hollow points, never hit an animal with them, but at 1250 fps they'd blow holy hell out of water filled milk jugs, stumps, staubs, dirt clods, and rocks laying about.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

[Linked Image]

Man I am beside myself. My desirification for one in 380 is a greatly great.

HE MENTORS ME.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
And lastly for me, a 1958 vintage 29 no dash in a pancake croc/beef holster, with elk grips, in 9mm caliber:

As you may guess, I do not own any Tupperware guns, as they tend to melt out here in the Arizona summers.

[Linked Image]

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And lastly for me, a 1958 vintage 29 no dash in a pancake croc/beef holster, with elk grips, in 9mm caliber:

As you may guess, I do not own any Tupperware guns, as they tend to melt out here in the Arizona summers.

[Linked Image]

I bet you use the "grizzly bear load" in it.

HE MENTORS ME.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

[Linked Image]

Man I am beside myself. My desirification for one in 380 is a greatly great.

If you desire, I could trade it for a well-used flock, I mean, glock, in 9mm...+ a little cash. Let me know if you interested!

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ill let you know.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

[Linked Image]

How dare you conceal that Smith in holsterage?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

[Linked Image]

That holsterage is nice. It sure beats underwearage and other coveragements that he could selectificate to offer concealmentage.

HE MENTORS ME.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There's 3 Smith 29-2's and one 44 Magnum Smith in this pic of 44's (except a 32 Smith standing vertical).

The Smiths, including the 629, get 8.5 grs. CFE Pistol and the H&G 503/265gr. bullet.

The Rugers eat mostly the same, but also get fed 280 LBT's and 24 grs. Lil' Gun and the 300 WLN with 18 grs. Lil'Gun (Marlin1894 load).

The Redhawk gets the 350 LFN and 18 grs. Lil' Gun.

Someone asked when the Smith's lost "smoothness"; I don't think they ever have and if they did, its not a difficult fix, from any era.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/g3YpVSR.jpg?1[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna restate a few previous posts, with my own narrative.

Full power loads aren't fun to shoot a lot.
Slightly lighter loads will not harm the thing.
You only need the hot stuff for hunting, if you need it at all,
And your not going to shoot that much hunting.

If you buy it to use in competition, with hot loads,
you are a fool. There are better guns for that. (But not better guns in general)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
a few (4) 29s in this picture, back when I was enamored with camo Pachmayrs a couple years ago!
[Linked Image]

Damn! Thats a beautiful collection of S&W revolers.....Congrats!....👍....Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Since we are talking durability I have a model 627 Pro that i always shoot 357 Mag 125gr loads in, will it outlast me? And i have heard that the cylinder stop on these will wear out......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider early 29s to be .44 Specials that can occasionally handle full Magnum for special purposes, such as big game or bear defense.

Much like the model 19 is a 38 Special that can handle some occasional 357 mags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whenever S&W threads pop up the topic always becomes "what will wear out first". That's why I'm getting a Super Redhawk this weekend. The answer will be "nothing".

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have been having great wonderment since the later 44 Mag ammo and load data has been lesserfied as to pressureness shouldnt the elderly S&W M29's have not a problem shooting thousands and thousands and thousands of the lesserized ammo?
Wasnt that why the ammo and load data has had a milk toastyness trend in powerfulness?

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
[Linked Image]

Damn! Thats a beautiful collection of S&W revolers.....Congrats!....👍....Hb

desertoakie got some nice ones.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have been having great wonderment since the later 44 Mag ammo and load data has been lesserfied as to pressureness shouldnt the elderly S&W M29's have not a problem shooting thousands and thousands and thousands of the lesserized ammo?
Wasnt that why the ammo and load data has had a milk toastyness trend in powerfulness?

You couldn't afford to shoot one regardless.

Don't worry about it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[quote=glockdoofus]I have been having great wonderment since the later 44 Mag ammo and load data has been lesserfied as to pressureness shouldnt the elderly S&W M29's have not a problem shooting thousands and thousands and thousands of the lesserized ammo?

You couldn't afford to shoot one regardless.

Don't worry about it. [/quote

The questioness of my amountness of my financness isn't the question. The pertinenceness of the question is the lesserfulness of pressurefullness of the now loaded ammo along with the declineness in the loading data that has been provided for the lastly years.

HE MENTORS ME.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The questioness of my amountness of my financness isn't the question. The pertinenceness of the question is the lesserfulness of pressurefullness of the now loaded ammo along with the declineness in the loading data that has been provided for the lastly years.

Dimness

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kingston

Dimness

You are in rightness. No one can understandeth a question. Ask about the longevitiness since the downloadedness of the currentness ammo and the load data and all one gets is greiviousness and tribulationess.

HE MENTORS ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by moosemike

Much like the model 19 is a 38 Special that can handle some occasional 357 mags.

Yeah, that's the way I see early K-Frame .357 Mags. That, in fact, appears to have been the idea with them to begin with. Bill Jordan asked S&W for essentially a Combat Masterpiece, but in .357 Magnum (along with a heavy shrouded barrel, Model 27 style), and they gave him the Model 19, with the caveat that it wasn't meant for a regular diet of Magnums, but only to be shot with them for special limited purposes, such as shooting through barriers and such (like might be needed during a police roadblock). Otherwise, it was to be considered a .38 Special, as they didn't believe the K-Frame could then be built strong enough for a regular Magnum diet and survive a high round count. It that were required, they recommended the Model 27/28.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Your looking at the wrong side. How many full power loads can the regular handgun shooter shoot, Im pretty sure who is going to "shake loose" first

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good effort.

Not the gun its the magazines, the spacers use too much space

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by kingston

Dimness

You are in rightness. No one can understandeth a question. Ask about the longevitiness since the downloadedness of the currentness ammo and the load data and all one gets is greiviousness and tribulations.

interesting use of set theory.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Etoh
Good effort.

How much space will they take up? That is the question.
The weight of the gun should cut down on recoil greatly.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 02/14/19.

HE MENTORS ME.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
rightness--- defines Venn diagram

uses negative qualifier (conditional if) to define intersection

uses ness to define membership in set.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good effort.

as much more space as the spacers used in the space of a 9mm round but less space the any spacer not used in a 38 super

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

See you have been on wikipedia.
Good move.

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good effort.

as much more space as the spacers used in the space of a 9mm round but less space the any spacer not used in a 38 super

I understand now. Thanks for the clarificationess.

HE MENTORS ME.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

See you have been on wikipedia.
Good move.

Post doc work in applied math.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you would like I can send you the algorithms , that removes the hard definition , and defines the membership in fuzzy logic terms. but the hard wired circuit neural nets will cost real money

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you would like I can send you the algorithms , that removes the hard definition , and defines the membership in fuzzy logic terms. but the hard wired circuit neural nets will cost real money

Please send them. I would be interested in looking over them.

HE MENTORS ME.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
not sure on your overlook ------- are you saying pastrami is the bacon of beef?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Back to OP
Had many 44s IHMSA, bowling pins, hunting, 29,Dan Wesson, Colt,Ruger

none were as pretty as the pictures shown here,

is pretty important---YES

get the gun,

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

I'm still enamored.

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would love to own one of those sloppy old sloven, rattle trap -2's. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Your looking at the wrong side. How many full power loads can the regular handgun shooter shoot, Im pretty sure who is going to "shake loose" first

Speak for yourself. I know I could shoot a model 29 loose in short order.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm embarrassed to say I shot a 29 in 44 mag loose, then done the same to two Anacondas, one a 44, the other a 45 Colt, left all three with my 'smith at different times, went and bought a FA 454C and a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag, those two will ride the river with anybody.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My SBH is not exactly tight anymore, some of those shims might be in order.
The hand and a whatchamacallit have needed replaced.
Stuff does wear.
Bought it fairly used in '87. And have run a lot of rounds through it.
Nothing overly hot, or over 250 gr.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

[Linked Image]

Blasphemy, I say!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Have over 8500 rds on a current 29-4. about 3000 mag loads. in 6" carry it in a Safariland "Dirty Harry" shoulder just for fun.
forcing cones don't count. end shake maybe if you shoot PPC.
pawls wear fast

44s shot out - forcing cone erosion, accuracy below acceptable levels.

29 silhouette model back when
Dan Wesson
Ruger SRH
629 4"

stopped shooting much 44 mag when the Casull came along.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Whenever S&W threads pop up the topic always becomes "what will wear out first". That's why I'm getting a Super Redhawk this weekend. The answer will be "nothing".

Yeah it will be strong but damn its ugly and all you will have is a Ruger...I always heard the old saying that "If you get tired of shooting a Ruger revolver you can always use it as a boat anchor" 😁......Hb

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Whereas that clapped.out.model 29 makes a stunning paperweight...

Last edited by Fischer; 02/14/19.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
My SBH is not exactly tight anymore, some of those shims might be in order.
The hand and a whatchamacallit have needed replaced.
Stuff does wear.
Bought it fairly used in '87. And have run a lot of rounds through it.
Nothing overly hot, or over 250 gr.

I shot all those D/A guns loose with 300gr Speer uni-cor/plated? bullets in both 44 and 45 cal, a young re-loader with modern guns using modern load data crazy I remember using AA#9, WW-296 and H-110 powders, I only worked once or twice a year back then, had a couple horses stabled down by the river and went to the shooting range near daily, had a chit-ton of time on my hands.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Yeah it will be strong but damn its ugly and all you will have is a Ruger...I always heard the old saying that "If you get tired of shooting a Ruger revolver you can always use it as a boat anchor" 😁......Hb

I only wish I had a few model 29's around. I trade them for Super Redhawks and Super Blackhawks so fast...
And obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Last edited by moosemike; 02/15/19.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
RedHawks are good looking in their own distinct way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RedHawks are good looking in their own distinct way.

Yup, and so are Super Redhawks especially when one considers the functionality of the platform. It doesn't need to be pretty. I would rather the revolver be durable. Granted I have Model 29s and love them, but they don't do my heavy lifting.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fischer
Whereas that clapped.out.model 29 makes a stunning paperweight...

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is fulfilling to see that everyone has fully clabberated in clabberation on this. When everyone comes into togetherness and a humongus mass.

HE MENTORS ME.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Yes.

Here is an older pic from one of many elk excursions.

[Linked Image]

That particular -2 has many thousands of rounds and is fine.

If people did a fraction of the shooting as they did regurgitating bad information on the interwebs they would be almost as good of shots as they claim to be.... smirk

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
2000 more pieces of .44 magnum Starline just arrived today..

[Linked Image]

Sure hope those fragile and delicate old Smiths can handle it.

[Linked Image]

Ruger or Smith, I will take 'em.

[Linked Image]

Three old classics here:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember Elmer loved the Redhawk when it came out. I remember his Gun Notes column with a pic of him with the new Redhawk and a Jackrabbit he'd kilt with it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A while back 29’s were known to double tap. Don’t know when S&W addressed the issue.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
A while back 29’s were known to double tap. Don’t know when S&W addressed the issue.

I didnt know S&W had anything to do with Double Tap ammo.
Wonderness will never cease. I learned something new.

HE MENTORS ME.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28

LOL, may have been due to what I saw a guy do while shooting my old S&W 500 magnum, on firing, they lose grip on the revolver, while re-gripping and trying to not drop the revolver they hit the trigger again causing a double tap.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My comment was due to reading an article where Doug Koenig was doing some testing for S&W with the 29. After several rounds fired the gun began to double tap a little too often. I don’t remember the fix. But, it did take some cipherin’ to figure it out. It had something to do with the timing if I’m not mistaken.

I will ask him and get back to you.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4. smile

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mackay, on your last post, the two pointed cast bullets, can you tell me a bit about them??.. When I was a young shooter, one of my older friends loaded a bullet that looked like that in his .44 Ruger... Never saw them since... I am not a caster, but that bullet caught my eye... I always wondered why it was made that way... I thought Elmer said the best killers in cast were those of his flat nose design.. Thanks!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OK a revolver will double tap??????? Any one have a POS S&W 44 Mag they don't need send a PM . LOL

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smithrjd
OK a revolver will double tap???????

Better believe it.

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
OK a revolver will double tap??????? Any one have a POS S&W 44 Mag they don't need send a PM . LOL

Looks that way

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well is that the revolver or the shooter? Trigger finger and follow through? I have a S&W Model 52 with a 2.5# trigger that I have to be careful of, it will double tap if I am sloppy.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mackay, on your last post, the two pointed cast bullets, can you tell me a bit about them??.. When I was a young shooter, one of my older friends loaded a bullet that looked like that in his .44 Ruger... Never saw them since... I am not a caster, but that bullet caught my eye... I always wondered why it was made that way... I thought Elmer said the best killers in cast were those of his flat nose design.. Thanks!

WCH,

Those were a gift from RJM, who I believe (If I remember correctly) got them from a buddy of his many years ago. They are lightweights, and when pushed by 10 grains of Unique make great small game loads.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Double action revolvers with very heavy recoil can "double tap" because the shooter pulls the trigger a second time while the gun is recoiling. There are slow-motion videos online of this happening with 500 S&W's where you can see the shooter pulling the trigger involuntarily as they struggle to maintain control of the gun. That likely is what happened in the video posted above, as you can see the second round firing while the gun is in recoil from the first round. This possibility--and the severe safety risk it poses--is one reason I don't encourage novice shooters to shoot heavy loads in double action revolvers. A single action Ruger is the perfect platform for learning to control a heavy recoiling gun.

I have seen very worn Model 29's unlock under recoil causing the cylinder to rotate backward, typically from a very worn or battered bolt.

Last edited by Oregon45; 02/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A "double tap" in a double action revolver isn't a gun issue, it is a shooter error issue.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
A "double tap" in a double action revolver isn't a gun issue, it is a shooter error issue.

Exactly.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mackay, thanks..

Molon Labe
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got it today 29-2. Looks like new

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fotis; 02/17/19.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Dude...

That's a beaut'.

Congrats.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
GFY

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I have seen very worn Model 29's unlock under recoil causing the cylinder to rotate backward, typically from a very worn or battered bolt.

This is the situation most are describing, glad it finally showed up!

I've seen them unlatch without being worn or battered in the bolt; its one of the reasons Smith incorporated a hand/pawl re-enforcement with the Endurance package, so when recoil and inertia sets the latch spring rearward (the direction it goes as bullet weight goes up), the cylinder cannot rotate.

The fact of the matter is the pre-Endurance package Smith N-frames are the same gun as a 27,28 and were pretty much unchanged from the N frames of the 1900's, so it stands to reason they might be prone to some wear and weird things when pressed. Smith evidently thought so, which is why they made several changes to the 29/629 series.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn! How much you pay for that? Those grips alone are worth a few hundred dollars.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fotis, I used to like you.......

Damn nice pistol!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn! How much you pay for that? Those grips alone are worth a few hundred dollars.

Congrats on going "full joo."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Excellent. I once had one just like it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That's antisemitic. Your account is hereby suspended.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! Congrats.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Berry nice, Fotis! Congrats.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You would know.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You would know.

Yours, too.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You do not want to know. Let's say I got a deal!

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice 29-2 Fotis I've got a smooth set of light matched Rosewoods on my 629 and a set of Dark smooth Rosewoods matched on my M18 love those SW grips. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Smoothest revolver I ever handled! Thanks guys

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.