Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Got a Remington 870 super mag barrel 12 ga barrel need it cut and threaded for rem chokes. Bead or sights installed. Going to be a turkey setup not decided what I want to do for sights yet. Got a little over .910 O.D. where I want the barrel cut,so I should be fine for Remchoke been told anywhere from .840 to .900 O.D. is needed to to go Remchoke. Length is short as possible and be legal. So in front of whatever rib support gives me 18 plus. Not looking to spend a ton of money but want a decent job that I can have back before mid april. Finally don't suggest carlsons choke tubes. Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Briley Mfg., but for an 870 it may e cheaper to just buy a factory or aftermarket barrel.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Google Mike Orlen, way better quality and turn around than Briley and cheaper to boot

The very same can be said about Steve Rose @ Rose Action Sports

I have had work done by both and the work, turnaround and communication were phenomenal

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had many barrels done by Orlen... used to recommend him. After the last batch I will never have anything to do with him. Lousy work and took many months. This after well over a dozen previous barrels.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have had many barrels done by Orlen... used to recommend him. After the last batch I will never have anything to do with him. Lousy work and took many months. This after well over a dozen previous barrels.

I have heard this a few times now. I was going to send him the barrel. When googling his info is when I came across the bad reviews and inconsistent reviews. Not going to roll the dice.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wow, I will admit it's been a while since I had any work done by Mike. Sorry to hear this.

I still recommend Steve Rose

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just saw a post from someone in Texas who does shotgun barrel work.
Didn't mention screw in chokes, and I can't remember the name.
Was yesterday and I think it was in the classifieds.

Dam near worthless info, best I can do though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found it!

Willicd,
classified,
8:09 lastnight.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rent the reamer/tap/bushings for a week from 4D Reamer Rentals to accomplish the simple task yourself in an hour.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Rob Roberts custom gun works. He does the custom work for Benelli.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used this guy:

http://shotgunchokes.com/index.html

Work and turnaround were excellent. I don't know if he's set up for Remchokes or not. My barrel didn't have enough O.D. either way.

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Mike Orlen just threaded a Remington barrel for me . He did a great job and very quick turnaround. I have also used Rob Roberts , Colonial Arms and Rhino Chokes . All do good work .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dpd
Mike Orlen just threaded a Remington barrel for me . He did a great job and very quick turnaround. I have also used Rob Roberts , Colonial Arms and Rhino Chokes . All do good work .

As I posted earlier, Mike has done a bunch of mine and the last group was exactly that, the last group I would ever consider sending him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just getting back to this. Going to send the barrel off to Steve Rose. Price is very good $110 to cut down, thread,install bead and ship back. He sells his services on Gunbroker and has nothing but A+ reviews. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
@Stika deer

Just out of curiosity what happened with the work Mike O did? Not doubting you but the reason I ask is that he's done a ton for me over the past 15 years at least and its all been perfect.

Perhaps he was ill or had some bad help? Did he offer to resolve the issues?

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like I said I have had many barrels done without issue previously...

I sent in barrels in four gauges, they may have made him wait to do each gauge to save set-up time. However there was zero communication from him except on the rare occasion when he answered the phone.

A S&W 1000 in 12 gauge he had done had shot a tube out. No idea why, but Mike said to include it and he would check it out and set it deeper by a thread or two just to be cautious and there would be no charge. In the end he said there was nothing wrong that he could see, but he did set it back. The bill included a full charge as though he was starting at zero.

A 16 gauge 1100 barrel was fine, but he did not send the requested tubes.

The worst problem was an Ithaca Mag10. The tube was extremely difficult to remove with a ridiculous amount of grit in the threads. The tube threads show damage from the removal. I asked for a total of three tubes and he only sent one other. The tube threads do not match each other. Not even close.

The other barrel(s?) were okay, but the whole bunch was filthy, like he had intentionally packed them in coarse valve grinding compound. The last time I spoke to him was before I got them back and it had been over six months. I told him to return them in whatever state they were in and I would find someone else to do the work. They showed up shortly thereafter. He never gave a reason for his delays. He did not respond to my final email. I feel lucky the barrels that were not done well were mine so I did not have to explain terrible work to someone else.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
Wow, I will admit it's been a while since I had any work done by Mike. Sorry to hear this.

I still recommend Steve Rose

I looked on gun broker and couldn't find Steve Rose...does anyone have his contact info?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Here is his website. He has a link to his gunbroker. He offers his choke services with or without tubes in his "auctions". I just contacted him direct via email as I needed work other than what he listed on gunbroker. He go back to me right away.

Rose Action Sports

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Here is his website. He has a link to his gunbroker. He offers his choke services with or without tubes in his "auctions". I just contacted him direct via email as I needed work other than what he listed on gunbroker. He go back to me right away.

Rose Action Sports

I can personally vouch for this guy, I've known him for a good many years and he has also done work for me, and was going to PM the OP with his info. Steve does a good job, and usually has a quick turnaround.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Rose Action Sports

I can personally vouch for this guy, I've known him for a good many years and he has also done work for me, and was going to PM the OP with his info. Steve does a good job, and usually has a quick turnaround.

Sent my barrel to Steve last week, I'll post pics when I get it back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 219DW, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.