Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’m thinking that a key aspect of good brass would be consistent water capacity weights. Have any of you done a study like that for your recommended brasses?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Frankk, what lube are you using?

Imperial Sizing Wax or Hornady Unique is much better for that application. (Ask me how I know)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’d only been using the Imperial Sizing Wax. I’d been leery of trying anything else like the hornady spray lube or homemade lanolin lube - but those things have been on my shelf for a very long time. Sorry to see the implication of stuck cases

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’m also glad that I had a heavy Rockchucker press for that particular task. Processing 350 cases was quite a workout. Whatever these military cases were originally fired in clearly had a very loose chamber - but they now all fit my bolt gun very nicely.

Last edited by Frankk; 02/27/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Frankk
I won a contest and received a lot of previously fired LC and other military headstamp brasses (mostly SBS & PMJ) with primer crimp removed but otherwise unprocessed. It was indeed a heavy resizing job with Redding body die and and Lee Neck Collet die - and that was after I annealed everything. I used the Redding “Competition” shell holders to get headspace clearance where I wanted it. I have some bullets on order so wish me luck to see how it goes.

And best of luck for OP and everyone else with all the good brass choices discussed above.

LC 308 is good stuff, I use a bunch of it, both for 308 and formed into 6.5 Creedmoor.

Just make sure to check with a flashlight inside each case for impending case head separation; you'll see a shadow from the stretched ring in the bad cases.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Yondering

Just make sure to check with a flashlight inside each case for impending case head separation; you'll see a shadow from the stretched ring in the bad cases.

Thank you!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Frankk
I’d only been using the Imperial Sizing Wax. I’d been leery of trying anything else like the hornady spray lube or homemade lanolin lube - but those things have been on my shelf for a very long time. Sorry to see the implication of stuck cases

Glad you are already on board with the best.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I really like the Hornady Unique sizing wax for heavy initial sizing. For subsequent sizing though, my preference is to put the cases in a ziploc bag and use a spray lube; after spraying a little in the bag I close it up and shake the bag around a bit. It seems to be an efficient method of lubing without getting too much on the cases and getting lube everywhere.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I do the ziplock trick on brass that has been fired in my .223's, not sure if I learned it from you or someone else. Perhaps I'll get courageous and try it on the larger cases sometime.

My old M1A was another matter, perhaps I was sizing the brass too much, but I stuck enough cases that I went hunting a better lube, someone at an LGS pointed me to Hornady Unique and I still use it.

Of course that was in the Dark Age Before The Internet, had to rely on manuals, gun rags and a couple of old cranks at the LGS.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 46 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,876
Posts18,478,877
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.