Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Quak
I clean them throughly when i first get them, then fire about about 20 rounds or so getting the optic set. I clean them again down to the steel (verified by bore scope) and start load development. Once i get my load I clean them down to the metal again and live happily ever after and let the barrel tell me how often it needs to be cleaned.

This is close to what I do minus the bore scope , don't own one.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I just bought a brand new, high quality rifle. What is the best way to “break in” the barrel? Thank you for any experienced feedback.

Wipe the bore clean first...then go shoot it.

Till you're done.

Then you can clean the bore again if its something you feel strongly about.

Originally Posted by lotech
1. Clean bore
2. Get on paper
3. Shoot groups

Just curious, not referring to a full on cleaning but do you guys pull a bird snake through from time to time?

No...set it aside during a busy shoot, let it cool while you are shooting rifle #2

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
All barrels shoot better after a few rounds have been through them. Some may only need a dozen or so before reaching optimum accuracy potential. Others may need 200+. But as far as a strict routine of firing X number of rounds, cleaning,and then firing 2X number of rounds and cleaning again I ain't buying it. The barrel can't count. Shoot it, clean it when it is dirty. It'll get better over time and get easier to clean.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m not arguing for one way or another. I’d just point out that those being adamant that a softer metal can’t polish/wear a harder metal, have maybe never stropped a knife blade on cloth or paper. Heat does stuff. Just saying.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe

No...set it aside during a busy shoot, let it cool while you are shooting rifle #2

[Linked Image]

or 3, and 4, and 5, and 6

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/10/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watched a video once, some of it depends on if it’s a bull barrel or cow barrel.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Watched a video once, some of it depends on if it’s a bull barrel or cow barrel.....

Now you've done it!

Proper break in proceedure of a bull-barrel. Cow-barrels need not apply!

TFF.

ya!

GWB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bob[/quote]
Sounds about right Bob. By the way, how's the weather out your way?[/quote]

Weather report of the "storm of the century" was premature at best. A few flurries and melted right off. Dry right now but now the report says rain for the next few days.... hope there is a little tracking snow next week for the 11th Lion hunt in Lapine...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnLittleTree
Instead of putting my facts on the sight so other's can write it off as opinion let me ask you this!

What is the hardness of your average steel centerfire rifle barrel?

What is the average hardness of copper alloys used to jacket lead bullets?

Do you have to break in the chamber by expanding 70/30 brass cases into it? Oh and so you know the 70% is copper the 30% is zinc.

What causes most barrels to be shot out? Is it rifling wear to the lands or groves? Is it throat and crown erosion?

What causes throats to erode and crowns to erode?

I will ask one more question: What will a softer metal (copper jacket, lead core) do to steel once it is accelerated to 3000 FPS?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Now you've done it!

Proper break in proceedure of a bull-barrel. Cow-barrels need not apply!

TFF.

ya!

GWB

One of the best videos Stick ever did. Kind of a public service announcement ala Big Stick style...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Sheister

One of the best videos Stick ever did. Kind of a public service announcement ala Big Stick style...

Bob

10/4

Cow Barrels, WAMs and Texans!

Like I mentioned before,

TFF.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/10/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
quote] ..... Lija barrels FAQ

Q. Does Lilja have a recommended cleaning and break-in procedure?

A . Yes we do and it depends on the type of barrel: rimfire, centerfire, .50 BMG

Break-in Procedure (centrefire)

For an effective break-in the barrel should be cleaned after every shot for the first 10-12 rounds or until copper fouling stops. Our procedure is to push
a cotton patch that is wet with solvent through the barrel. This will remove much of the powder fouling and wet the inside of the barrel with solvent.
Next, wet a bronze brush (not a nylon brush) with solvent and stroke the barrel 5-10 times. Follow this by another wet patch and then one dry patch.
Now soak the barrel with a strong copper removing solvent until all of the blue mess is removed from the barrel. The copper fouling will be heavy for
a few rounds and then taper off quickly in just one or two shots. Once it has stopped or diminished significantly it is time to start shooting 5 shot groups
, cleaning after each one. After 25-30 rounds clean at a normal interval of 10-25 rounds. Your barrel is now broken-in.

Q. What is hand lapping?

A. The hand lapping process, that all of our barrels undergo, ensures that you will receive a rifle barrel that has the very best and most desirable type
of internal finish that we can provide. The lapping operation brings the final internal dimensions up to size and also improves the finish. No production
barrels are hand lapped, only the finest custom barrels receive this very important operation. And it is partly for this reason that hand lapped barrels
cost more than lower grade production barrels.

In practice, a lap is cast around a rod placed inside the barrel. The profile of the rifling is cast into the lap ensuring a very precise fit with that individual barrel.
The lap is then “charged” with lapping compound, oiled, and pushed and pulled repeatedly through the length of the barrel. The lap is “recharged” and oiled
many times and several new laps will be cast before the lapping procedure is completed. The man doing the lapping judges when the barrel is finished by a
very experienced feel for the job, inspecting the internal finish as it develops with a full length borescope, and by measuring the diameters of the lands and grooves.

We have, over the years, developed a process that we feel gives us the very best finish and uniformity of diameters the full length of the barrel, that we can obtain.
And the proof is, in our opinion, in the very minimal amount of bullet jacket fouling that our barrels produce, and in their outstanding accuracy.

Our process completely eliminates tooling marks from the inside of the barrel. And very importantly the resulting finish runs parallel with the rifling.

Over the years we have developed a proprietary lapping system that allows us to create a superior internal finish. We have found through our testing what
is the optimum lapping material and grit. With the finish our barrels are shipped with (especially the stainless steel barrels), bullet jacket fouling is almost
nonexistent, and accuracy is at its peak.

One of the reasons we believe that fouling is minimal has to do with the direction of the surface finish in relation to the rifling. When a barrel is lapped,
the resulting surface lies parallel to the rifling. The bullet does not have to rotate “against the grain” as it would have to with an unlapped barrel or with
a barrel treated in another manner.

Another factor in surface finish has to do with its smoothness. While it is very desirable to have a finish running parallel to the rifling, the finish can be too smooth.
In our extensive testing we found that a lapped barrel could be made too smooth and that these super smooth barrels would foul more than our conventionally
lapped barrels. We have drawn an analogy between these “too smooth” barrels to racing slicks on race cars. These tires have no tread so they can get better
traction (or more friction) on the asphalt or concrete surface. It seems as though a similar situation results between a bullet and barrel if the finish is too smooth.
But in this case, the result is increased fouling, not increased performance.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Barrel break in - does 2 things accuracywise - and the 3rd impacts cleaning

1) it smoothes the machining marks if the barrel wasn’t lapped.

Break-in would also somewhat smooth out the surface following lapping.

abrasives still leave micro peaks and troughs.

and different folks use different grit sizes of aluminium oxide or silicon carbide abrasive.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag
YouTube video barrel life at 20 minutes

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I lap with boolits.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
If you are using a custom barrel that has already been lapped by the maker, the only tooling marks left are in the throat from the chambering reamer/throating reamer. Those will be smoothed out by any of the already mentioned procedures. If you want to smooth out the throat before shooting, a little JB (the light brown, not the red) on your choice of mop or patch applied in and out a number of times through the throat only, followed by a cleaning of the full barrel will do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the bullets and hold the Fluff.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Classic film....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Legendary +P+.

Hint..............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've probably read about 100 threads about barrel break in and there is one thing that I have NEVER heard defined. That is what constitutes a barrel that is broken in. In this thread we have had posters share their methodology but no one ever says that if X happens then the barrel is officially broken in. Shoot one, clean, shoot another one, clean, shoot three, clean doesn't tell me chit about what's going on inside the barrel. I've broken in a bunch over the last 45 years and my definition is that when a barrel quits copper fouling heavily on every shot it is "broken in". My exposure is mostly with BR quality barrels from most of the top shops in barrel making and I've had barrels that broke in with one shot and never fouled much again and I seen some that continued to foul for nearly 100 shots. I gave up on the 100 shot wonder barrel and vowed to burn that SOB to the ground in a P-dog town. It broke in and stopped fouling some where north of 100 shots. I've had only one premium quality barrel that never broke in and continued to foul and never quit. It was a Hart that in my view was too smooth. Many other barrels broke in in a more typical 5 to 10 shots. If I apply my definition across the board I contend that the majority of factory barrels NEVER break in because they continue to foul their entire lives. It is therefore a total waste of time, effort and money to even attempt to break them in. Load em up and shoot em is about as good as it gets.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.