Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
Ron, know of any source for Beretta/Breda M1 receivers?

i have a friend that has one, but i don't think he would sell it.
other than that, no.
if my memory serves me correct beretta got the equipment for garands from winchester, after the war.
i got a few of the danish garands with i think called the val barrels. what i wanted and didn't get was one with the navy markings.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Orlando8
As already stated this IS NOT A CMP RIFLE !
It is stamped EXCEL/GARDNER MA which is the Importers stamp. CMP does not import rifles, none of CMP rifles will have Import stamps. Many Imported rifles were pretty well worn so were refinished by the importer. I would not purchase it without gaging the bore at a minimum as many barrels were also worn. You are better off purchasing a service grade from CMP which will be delivered to your door for $750

thats actually pretty good advice, particularly if you don't know the ends and outs of them and how to evaluate what you are looking at.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brazos
At some point the Danish rifles were sold through the CMP as complete rifles minus the wood. They were referred to as "naked Danes".

I had several back before that boating disaster.

the ones i got had the wood on them. they were complete rifles.
you could also get cases of 30.06ball in bandoliers. really good stuff.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/14/19.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I don’t believe any CMP guns had import stamps. CMP rifles were returned to the Army from other countries (Greece, Italy, etc) and then transferred to the CMP. Looks like a good shooter.

Would not the CMP then have final sale of it? For it to have all different S/N's it would have had to go thru CMP at one time or another,even if it was back when it was DCM

It was free game to import Garands from other countries in the 1980s. Then there was a halt on imports. The CMP (private organization) weaseled the politicians into granting exclusive import rights. So the price went up by 100s of %, and the CMP guys got new boats.
In the 1980s I shot qualification for a one in a lifetime M1 Garand from the DCM. It cost 125.00, and it was rebuilt to new by Letterkenny Army Depot (Pennsylvania).

cmp only gets guns that were lend lease, they don't buy at least i think they don't buy those SOLD to various countries.
some of it is kind of murky tho. few years ago cmp sold some m1carbine barrels recievers, nothing else attached. barrels were shot out. One of the ones they sold was eith a universal or a plainsfield, not U.S. military. came from south america. i think that commercial reciever was from some black arts program

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don’t believe any CMP guns had import stamps. CMP rifles were returned to the Army from other countries (Greece, Italy, etc) and then transferred to the CMP. Looks like a good shooter.

Would not the CMP then have final sale of it? For it to have all different S/N's it would have had to go thru CMP at one time or another,even if it was back when it was DCM

It was free game to import Garands from other countries in the 1980s. Then there was a halt on imports. The CMP (private organization) weaseled the politicians into granting exclusive import rights. So the price went up by 100s of %, and the CMP guys got new boats.
In the 1980s I shot qualification for a one in a lifetime M1 Garand from the DCM. It cost 125.00, and it was rebuilt to new by Letterkenny Army Depot (Pennsylvania).

DCM as i remember was under the department of the army. That changed with the handover to CMP.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hanco
They are fun to shoot. Mine is an all correct H&R. It shoots real well for my son, my eyes suck!

[Linked Image]

i think i can see that grey repark on the metal, typical of some arsonal rebuilds.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one of the issues with garands, carbines, 1911's, victory revolvers is that most people have not had the chance or have the knowlege to see one that hasn't been dragged to death behind a tank.
They aren't all like that however.
I have seen any number of all the above that for most purposes are brand new, including 1903 and 1903A3's with a muzzle gage of 1 for those that know what that means.
but you don't generally find them at cabella's and they cost money if the seller knows what they are. but they are out there.
I know of one bought by a guy that was friends with the director of the cmp circa mid 1950's. It's about 100miles from me and i got to handle it. Not chance of buying it, basically a new gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
at the end of WWII i think in new jersey the ships were coming in and they were off loading small arms. moving them around in stacks with fork lifts. you could buy one as a memento for ten bucks. As told to me buy a guy that worked there that ran out of ten dollar bills.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ron;, the Danish came with VAR barrels. very good shooters. I have a Springfield Dane with such a barrel that my son bedded and accurized. tackdrivers for Garands. can't use it in an as issued match, but that's not what its for.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there use to be a guy with a gunshop a few miles from my house. Some of his guns are/were used in illustrations in books on garands. frequently going into that shop cost me money. He had at one time winchester ser 1000 in a garand.
I use to frequent there some times when i got stumped on parts identification etc.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This ^^

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My woodless Dane had the navel crest of the sight spring/cover. And a brand spanking new Marlin barrel. lol That was a surprise and somewhat of a disappointment after hearing so much about the great VAR barrels.

I passed on a Breda some years back and regretted it for a long time. Now I don't, interests come and go. smile

Last edited by cas6969; 02/14/19.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the replies and wealth of knowledge. I ended up talking them down from $1300 to $750. It does need the op spring replaced. Otherwise it seems ready to go. It’s all Springfield except for the NM RA op rod. Here’s some pics including numbers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/alb...-B681-E5C44F21F7D1_zpspsuxjkoj.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/alb...-A990-FB16598F05CF_zpsowntpxzj.jpg[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! You really beat them up on price! I think $750 is around where it should be.

By the looks of it, it hasn't been fired much if at all since the last rebuild. Probably a new barrel. I don't think they would have parkered that barrel if it didn't meet spec.

Looks like it came from S Korea.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
surgeon, you did well. have fun with it.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How did the muzzle turn out to be?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, went to a gun show tonight and had Don Kemps from the Garand collectors society look it over. He was extremely impressed by it. Said it was worth about double what I paid for it. Barrel has a zero for ME, and around a 1 for TE. Every part is correct except the ihc front sight.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
in today's market, i think you ripped them on price.
as to that marlin barrel comment, i wouldn't be too upset about it. A guy i know that had access to many many garands chose one with a marlin barrel, they were replacements, but suppose to be pretty good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic!

I bet that barrel will be a good shooter. All those M1 barrels were broach cut. The things that made the bad ones were mostly rust and use. You have a new one, so scratch those possibilities.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
hornsurgeon,

GOOD DEAL imVho.

LMR barrels were the NORMAL replacement in USA arsenals & NUMEROUS foreign arsenals, too. = Marlin made MANY great barrels & small parts for the USA & for foreign governments for over 2 decades.
(I once had a post WWII Garand that was re-arsenaled in Japan, by HOWA, in 1958. = It wasn't pretty but shot like new.)

I'd bet that the "mixmaster" shoots FINE.

yours, tex

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (222ND, 257wthbylover, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 270cowboy, 40 invisible), 17,661 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,992
Posts18,540,210
Members74,053
Most Online21,066

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.