Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have only used, seen used the Barnes Monos, from old style X to TTSX. How does the Nosler .270 ( for example's sake) 130 ETip compare to the Barnes'TTSX;..softer/harder, easier to open, higher pressures working up loads, pressure spikes, etc? They "look" great, but w/no relief grooves, are they "tacky/sticky" like pure copper jacketed bullets?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Check out the reviews on Midwayusa. E-Tip below.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...in-spitzer-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have used both. I have seen a fair number of deer killed with both. I have reloaded a lot of both. For my money the biggest difference is that they need a little different seating depth. You'd never be able to guess any better than 50-50 as to which bullet went through which deer, and you'd have about the same odds at guessing which of two calibers went through Bambi.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have been shooting bioth TTSX's and E-Tips since they both appeared in 2007, and have seen a bunch of big game taken with each. Tested both that year in dry newspaper (my standard media for tough big game bullet testing) and E-Tips opened slightly wider and so penetrated a little less. But the difference wasn't much, and I have never been able to see any difference in the field on animals from coyotes up to through elk-sized

The early E-Tips were touchier about what barrels they would shoot well in, just like early Barnes X's without grooves. But since Nosler added a groove at the rear of the ogive I haven't found any difference. They both tend to shoot better when seated deeper than lead-cored bullets--but not always, especially in custom-chambered rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I haven’t bought any E-tips, how do they compare price wise?

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I haven’t bought any E-tips, how do they compare price wise?

Shop SPS. E-Tips can be cheaper.

At 26 Nosler speeds, I can’t tell any difference in accuracy or terminal performance. At those speeds both can mess up meat.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jim Knight,
I shoot 130 gr. Nosler E-Tips in my .270 WSM. I worked up a load using Nosler data, started low and ended up about at the middle of their powder grain recommendations for RL22. MV is 3300 fps, with sub-MOA accuracy.
The main reason I use the E-Tip over the Barnes TSX-TTSXes is a much higher BC- .459 for the E-Tip, vs. .392 for the 130 gr. TTSX. It's enough of a difference to make choosing the E-Tip worthwhile, especially in light of the great accuracy I get with this bullet. It also performs very well on deer, out to and over 300 yards, in my experience. I can't really tell any difference in performance between the two bullet types- the E-Tips punch through, and expand just fine, with what I would call minimal meat damage compared, to, say, an Accubond or Ballistic Tip.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any difference in fowling? Ridges vs Cupro Nickle? Probably a wash on this too.

Pure D speculation but I suspect the Barnes produce lower pressure due to the ridges but this could be offset some by the stickier copper content of the Barnes, anybody pressure tested both?

Last edited by Tejano; 02/15/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Any difference in fowling? Ridges vs Cupro Nickle? Probably a wash on this too.

Pure D speculation but I suspect the Barnes produce lower pressure due to the ridges but this could be offset some by the stickier copper content of the Barnes, anybody pressure tested both?

I don’t see a difference, but my guns have DBC.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys, it is a sleek looking bullet.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.