Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Depends if we are talking about the Craft or the Shooting.

Right! There is no standard of measurement, but if field craft counts heavily in defining the greatest sniper, and it does for me, then Simo Hayho has to be the man. IMO Hathcock would be next, though there are some I don't know much about.

Simo killed over 500 Russians in 98 days, likely way over 500, in extremely difficult rural winter conditions, and he did it with iron sights. He chose iron sights over a scope, which was available, because the scope stuck up higher and might give away his position. He had a lot of targets and soon tied up thousands of Russians who were trying to get him, but that is incredible skill any way we look at it.

IMO Kyle is well down the list from greatest, though he had an engaging personality.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reading about one of Hathcock's forays to take out a high ranking North Vietnamese officer, it became apparent that getting the bullet placed is only a small part of what a sniper had to do. When he killed the officer, the whole camp erupted into a search for him. Getting home in one piece was no small trick. IIRC, it took him three weeks, and when he got home he was 15 pounds thinner. That's impressive.

Think of how many stories of that sort that we will never hear about.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I haven't read Chris Kyle's book in a while, but I believe he wrote that in his opinion Carlos Hathcock was the best. I'm 99% sure he wrote or said it, but maybe not in his book.
It is impossible to name the best without criteria.
Most kills
Longest confirmed shot
Shot/hit ratio
Most significant kill (Had someone managed to snipe Adolf Hitler, you'd have to give him some serious credit of some sort.)
Best "sneak" (If you have ever read Hathcock's book, he did some amazingly arduous things, damn near suicidal, to get some of his shots.)

Were it possible, which it is not, I'd get all the snipers together then tell them to decide which of them was the greatest. Their collective decision would be hard to argue with.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Simo also did a lot of work with a submachine gun.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hathcock was into results. There was an evil Viet Cong bitch they called the Apache. If I recall correctly, when he finally caught up with her, he didn't shoot her. He called in an artillery barrage. That works too.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This seems like the kind of discussion best held over a couple sticks of beef jerky while perusing samurai swords at the gun show.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Right! There is no standard of measurement, but if field craft counts heavily in defining the greatest sniper, and it does for me, then Simo Hayho has to be the man. IMO Hathcock would be next, though there are some I don't know much about.

Simo killed over 500 Russians in 98 days, likely way over 500, in extremely difficult rural winter conditions, and he did it with iron sights. He chose iron sights over a scope, which was available, because the scope stuck up higher and might give away his position. He had a lot of targets and soon tied up thousands of Russians who were trying to get him, but that is incredible skill any way we look at it.

IMO Kyle is well down the list from greatest, though he had an engaging personality.

Again he was in a target rich environment. Also much more open than the confines of Asian jungles. Hathcock had to hunt down his targets. They were not walking into him.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/16/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Hathcock was into results. There was an evil Viet Cong bitch they called the Apache. If I recall correctly, when he finally caught up with her, he didn't shoot her. He called in an artillery barrage. That works too.

His CO called in artillery and Carlos killed her on the run.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Again he was in a target rich environment. Also much more open than the confines of Asian jungles. Hathcock had to hunt down his targets. They were not walking into him.

Different aspect of the trade. IIRC Chris spent the majority of time on overwatch vs hunting specific targets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simo Häyhä might get the title if the number of corpses one stacked up is how we pick a "GOAT" sniper. He was one tough and deadly Finn lander who gave the invading Russians a reason to keep their head down.

Last edited by 1Akshooter; 02/16/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

His CO called in artillery and Carlos killed her on the run.

right after she stopped to take a piss if i remember right.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Correct.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Simo also did a lot of work with a submachine gun.

IIRC he crawled the front lines at night with a submachine gun, and a loader who followed him with extra mags and a bag of loose ammo to refill the mags. He said that Siberian troops were the hardest to kill as it took 6-9 hits with the 9mm to kill them.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Lon Horiuchi

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Timothy Murphy, Revolutionary War. The more you know about the man, the more impressive.
To bad no one pays attention to our history. This guy impacted American History, in our favor.

Not if he saved the Union.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pete53
... Hathcock ..... never got the credit he deserved. .

Wha?!

He is one of about 3 snipers the average jane or joe could name.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Different aspect of the trade. IIRC Chris spent the majority of time on overwatch vs hunting specific targets.

I wasn't referring to Chris.

Edit in my opinion Chris isn't on the board. Not to say he wasn't a great sniper.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/16/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
James Earl Ray

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
i feel Carlos Hathcock was and never got the credit he deserved. my friend who was a Ranger Sniper for 8 years believes so too .

Never got credit? I mean anyone that knows ANYTHING, likely the first name they learned or read was Carlos. Some posts are hard to believe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hathcock, Land, England and a few others whose names I don't remember are largely responsible for keeping US sniping alive after Vietnam. The US military had always let the capabilty erode if not completely disappear after the wars ended.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (219 Wasp, 257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,408
Posts18,506,990
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.