Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
What, small, electric scale do you like to use at the range? I know all the stuff about about wind and inconsistent power surges, etc. Looking for something to "make due".

Alan

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use small frankford arsenal elec pocket scale. It is consiztent

Bearbuck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSSP
What, small, electric scale do you like to use at the range? I know all the stuff about about wind and inconsistent power surges, etc. Looking for something to "make due".

Alan

Would you use it inside a vehicle or do you have a building near the range? We have so much wind around here, I have to even shut my garage door when I'm reloading, so the wind doesn't affect the scale...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have tried every conceivable means to build loads at the range. It never worked out. Finaly, I bought glass vials that look like cocaine vials. They will hold up to 100 gr powder charges. I have about 250 of them. I make my powder charges at home in the controlled environment. Write the charge weight & powder on the bottle. Take them to range along with the bullets & a powder funnel. Use my arbor press, but you can use any press you are willing to pack to the range. Seat the bullet & shoot. Has worked very well for me & certainly solved my frustration with trying to weigh charges outside.

I’d be more than happy to send you the information.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I have tried every conceivable means to build loads at the range. It never worked out. Finaly, I bought glass vials that look like cocaine vials. They will hold up to 100 gr powder charges. I have about 250 of them. I make my powder charges at home in the controlled environment. Write the charge weight & powder on the bottle. Take them to range along with the bullets & a powder funnel. Use my arbor press, but you can use any press you are willing to pack to the range. Seat the bullet & shoot. Has worked very well for me & certainly solved my frustration with trying to weigh charges outside.

That sounds like a good deal - that way you're using the equipment that you're going to load the final product with .

Hey GSSP , off topic but do you know a shooter from Utah who went by the screen name GoodGrouper ? I left LRHunting site when he did many years ago , he was a wealth of knowledge .

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/16/19.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
I use small frankford arsenal elec pocket scale. It is consiztent

+1

My first attempt to load at the shooting bench required taking my RCBS 5-0-5. That was a major mess. The big problem was the wind. We're at the highest spot around; we can see 4 counties from the front porch. Wind was a constant problem.

I ended up with the Frankford, but I had to add a plastic box that surrounded the scale and act as a wind baffle. If you go here:

Wringing out the Ruger American Predator

. . . you'll see the box. I cut a hole in the top so I could trickle in the last of the charge.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
off topic but do you know a shooter from Utah who went by the screen name GoodGrouper ? I left LRHunting site when he did many years ago , he was a wealth of knowledge .

I don't believe Goodgrouper hangs out on any gun or hunting forum anymore, his passions have switched to ATV riding and go-pro filming of such. he hangs out on the ATV forums and YouTube as Utah Wanderlust 700.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by ol_mike
off topic but do you know a shooter from Utah who went by the screen name GoodGrouper ? I left LRHunting site when he did many years ago , he was a wealth of knowledge .

I don't believe Goodgrouper hangs out on any gun or hunting forum anymore, his passions have switched to ATV riding and go-pro filming of such. he hangs out on the ATV forums and YouTube as Utah Wanderlust 700.

Thanks I'll look for him under that name and say hello to him if I find him .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A simple way to accomplish the feat of reloading at the range is to use a high quality powder measure with micrometer adjustments, such as a Culver. Set it up at and home making note of the settings, and then leave the scales behind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.