Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mainer, I'm in Sitka. You're right about the punch. I used a .375 almost exclusively for well over 10 years before making the switch. I cannot tell a difference except the rifle now holds six instead of four and weighs alot less. There are at least five guys here I know of who have switched over to the round. It's perfect around here. You can make 300 yard shots on deer and goats and then deal with a grumpy bear at five yards on the way out with the same load. A seven pound rifle for hiking, scouting, and fishing with enough power to handle any bear around is a true comfort. I can't wait to get this new stock all marked up!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, Mainer, since you have mentioned your visit here in 2011, it's time we did that again. I'm sure we both have a few more 9.3X62 stories to tell since then.

Pretty sure I have posted this picture since you were here, a 270 gr Speer started off at well over 2500 fps taken from under the skin of a 60+" moose shot at about 25 yards.

[Linked Image]

Have heard they are too soft for big game, but this bullet broke ribs on each side, and still weighs close to 200 gr.

[Linked Image]

Having said that, most of my hunting is with plain vanilla 285 gr or Matrix 270 gr bullets started of a well over 2300 fps. Your 300 gr Swift is obviously a reliable hunting bullet, and the lest expensive part of your hunt, as well. Good stuff!

Let me know when you are coming over. The burbot are moving! Called this one up from seven feet. wink

[Linked Image]

Best,
Ted

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cartridge is a great one with historic pedigree. I always thought the 376 Steyr would challenge in that class of cartridge. It is a dandy, hard hitting chamber as well with a great many more bullet choices. I suspect the challenge and non success of the cartridge was due to the crowded and more powerful 375 centerfires. Hornady perhaps looked at the platform and then introduced the 375 Ruger. The Steyr is in the same realm and use as the 9.3x62 and would make a fine 20” or 21” carry rifle in rough and dangerous country. Recognize it’s pretty much a reloader’s cartridge, it still somewhat backed by Hornady.

Last edited by Rossimp; 02/04/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DarlaG
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Only used my CZ 550 on deer, hoping I will be able to hunt others. I will say on White Tails and Mule deer it has been a hammer, never more than 25 yards and little to no bloodshot meat. That using the Norma 232 Vulcans.

smithrjd,

TRUE. Moreover in Denmark, Finland, Norway & Sweden, where commercial hunting for moose/reindeer/caribou is lawful, the old 9.3x62mm & its "little brother" the 9.3x57mm are popular as neither caliber destroys much salable meat.

Fwiw, I use either my home-brewed 280 grain GCCB at about 2,000FPS or the 286 grain grain factory ammo for every sort of big game, that a big-bore rifle is suitable for. = Either sort of bullet hits "like a sledge-hammer between the eyes".

yours, tex

DarlaG, my Northman cast lead 285 gr FB are just the ticket for fireforming '06 brass to 9.3X62.

[Linked Image]

They shoot into about two inches at 100 yards, but have never tried them on game. I'm sure they would work, and wondering if you have you have used your cast loads on any big stuff?

Ted

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I enjoyed reading your write up. Have long thought the 9.3x62 to be a legendary cartridge. I once owned one of the CZ 550 FS chambered thus, but somehow let it slip away before using it to bag any game. Wish they were as common now as they were 15 years ago.

The cz 550 medium was discontinued a number of years ago. So too, the 9.3x62 chambering also dropped. Though the magnum action is still offered, the latest standard action is some sort of push-feed deal that is cheaper for cz to build, as opposed to sourcing a forged steel mauser action. From here on out, if you want an affordable mauser rifle chambered in this great mauser cartridge, might be better to send a used model 70 or ruger 77 to get rebored by Jesse.

If you have a cz 550 in 9.3x62. Better hold onto it.

IC B2

W
wgg Offline
W

I looked at a Parker Hale Mauser style bolt action 30-06 today with this in mind. Now do I send this or my Interarms Mark X 30-06 full stock to Jesse.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Have you cold weather tested 2000-MR? My buddy says it's been pretty sensitive to temps.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
From 50 degrees to 20 below zero, I've not had any change in POI with my rifle in cold weather, nor in taking animals on the long shot. 2000 medium rifle has been temp stable in my environment.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by wgg

I looked at a Parker Hale Mauser style bolt action 30-06 today with this in mind. Now do I send this or my Interarms Mark X 30-06 full stock to Jesse.

I like those sporterized mauser. I've owned both a Parker hale, and a golden state arms sporterized mauser. They're a good value, especially for anyone contemplating the latest budget plastic-rifles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mainer_in_ak,

Thanks for putting another idea in my head on which caliber of rifle to buy next. I have a new .338 WM I've got to test out first, but if I could find a 9.3x62 at a good price, I might buy one after reading of your experiences.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
mainer in ak,

Great write up on your experiences and the 9.3x62mm. I really enjoyed reading it and all of the following posts by fellow 9.3x62mm fans. Keep the stories coming.

Does anyone have additional input on the Lapua Mega bullet performance? I saw one comment above indicating the lead was a bit hard for smaller game? Also any experiences with the Norma Oryx or Alaskas? Just for my own curiosities.

I am also fortunate enough to have two 9.3x62mm rifles. Both Husqvarna 1640 models. I have taken the one elk hunting but, I did not get to shoot one unfortunately. I reload for them now but at the time I was shooting Norma factory 286 grain Alaska ammo. It was unbelievably accurate from the rifle.

Regards,
sixfive

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hey wgg, I sent my mark X and had it done to 9.3 somewhat recently and just had a 338 federal done by Jesse as well.
May be sending another his way soon to become a 338-06. Jury is still out on that but I have wanted one for several years.
Good luck with yours. Both of my rebores seem to be shooting quite well.
Take care,
Les

Last edited by tankerjockey; 02/10/19.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Impressive guys. Affordable bank-vault reliable commercial mausers or sporterised k98 mausers sent to Jesse. The husqys, jc higgins with fn receivers, sears n roebuck, parker hale, golden State arms, interarms, whitworth, zastavas etc. Heck, even a ruger 77 can be had used for $300-$400.

He'll even cut the barrel down to 20.5" if you ask him to. A little weaver 1-3 power straight tube scope, and you've a serious tool for the biggest of game. The 9.3 mauser was meant to be an affordable alternatove against the fancy British magnums. That purpose still rings true today, it's the 30-30 model 94 of bolt actions. Except present day, $1000 for one of these things new from Winchester. Wow, is our world ever changing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mainer, thanks for sharing your AK hunting stories and information about the old 9.3. Interesting that two of your favorites are mine as well. I have a CZ 550 with kevlar stock that I bought several years ago for hunting elk in dark timber in CO, and hogs in OK. I also have a 358 Win (Ruger M77) that I too use more than any other rifle I own. This past Nov. it took a small mulie in South Dakota. I hand load and have had my best results accuracy-wise using NP's in both rifles (286 gr. for 9.3 and 225 gr. in the 358).

I doubt I will ever have an opportunity to hunt in AK as age is quickly catching up with me but, I sure like reading the chronicles of those who have. Thanks again for sharing.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of ™affordable bank-vault reliable commercial Mausers," I am surprised that no-one has mentioned the Serbian Zastava Mauser rifles.

Back in 2012, K-VAR Corp., an outfit in Las Vegas, NV was able to order a shipment of left-handed (!) Zastava controlled feed Mausers in a variety of calibers that sold out quickly. It turns out that the Serbs don't like the US very much for reasons based on then recent history, and were reluctant to fill orders, but that one got through, for some reason, and folks on the Campfire and on Accurate Reloading quickly placed signed up.

Frankly, the wood stocks were not anything to write home about since in some ungodly European design and undefined species of tree, but the Mauser actions were forged steel built on original Mauser machinery! laugh

I got one in 9.3x62 and the price was only $600. I think that I was one of fairly few who ordered that caliber. Mine is called a Model M-70 Hunting Carbine [Lovacki Karabin] Z98 LH bolt mauser. Its serial number is only 11,xxx, which suggests a relatively low production amount.

I haven't had reason to shoot it yet, since I have several other rifles in various calibers that equal its performance, but I'm going to load it up soon to see what it can do. After all, while I am getting a bit long in the tooth to see Alaska or Western Canada again, or climbing up steep hills, living in New Mexico today places me in a great area to put it to use. wink

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ted sorry had to post this pic of young Ted again. Ted,s a bad influence hang around him and you will be buying a 9.3 X 62 and maybe a freighter canoe. Ted tell us about your old 9.3 X 62 that had no safety as I recall. Kurt

[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Ted sorry had to post this pic of young Ted again. Ted,s a bad influence hang around him and you will be buying a 9.3 X 62 and maybe a freighter canoe. Ted tell us about your old 9.3 X 62 that had no safety as I recall. Kurt

[Linked Image]

Kurt and Ted, that's one of the neatest pictures, should be on a calendar or at least hanging on my wall.BTW I now have 2 9.3x62s one a rebored 1917 done by Classic gun works holds 6 down so a seven shooter. The other is a newer Mark X not Interarms CZ maybe not sure of the barrel maybe a A&B. UNFORTUNATELY I haven't hunted with either as old age and be knees have pretty much limited me to a little rabbit hunting. But the shoot good and after a little work on the feed rails (thanks Art) they're both pretty smooth. --- Mel

Last edited by olblue; 02/12/19.

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great write up and an outstanding recommendation for the good ol' 9.3 cartridge!

Thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thank you!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
FYI,

Lipsey's just received an allocated shipment of Hawkeye's in 9.3x62. They're out there somewhere.

FAMILY:77 Centerfire Series MODEL:M77 Hawkeye TYPE:Rifle ACTION:Bolt Action FINISH:Polished Blue STOCK/FRAME:Wood Stock STOCK/GRIPS:Walnut w/ Ebony Forend Tip WEIGHT:7 lbs. 6 oz.
CALIBER/GAUGE:9.3 x 62 CAPACITY:4+1 BARREL:24" RATE-OF-TWIST:1-in-10
SIGHTS:Gold Bead Front/Folding Rear SAFETY:3 Position Safety ADDL INFO:Blued Bolt Handle ADDL INFO:Barrel Band/Open Sights ADDL INFO:Red Recoil Pad EXCLUSIVE:LIPSEY'S EXCLUSIVE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska

[Linked Image]

Well, yes, there have been a few guys ended up with 9.3s and freighter canoes over the years,

IIRC, all my 9.3s had safeties, but there was a 35 Whelen that did without.

Heading your way tomorrow. Will give you a call when we get there.

Ted

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.