Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cs2blue
We are so fortunate to have the many awesome examples listed in this thread! Sniping in a battlefield/war/conflict environment can never be discounted,.it effects on personnel are huge, way beyond the single person that was neutralized. One bullet, huge influence!

It's kind of appropriate to this thread so I'll mention that a few days ago my wife and I were eating lunch at a local cafe/restaurant and had finished and were leaving and we walk by a couple of young men finishing their meals at a table. The fellow with his back to us has something about 'Scout Sniper" on the back of his T shirt. He gets up to go pay his bill just as we pass him and I looked back and said. "Scout sniper?". He said, "I was". I gave him a grin and a thumbs up and said "Thanks". He gave me a big smile back. We get to the car and he comes running out and runs up to the car just to shake my hand.

It meant something to both of us.

Retired cat herder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had the pleasure of meeting a good friend of Chris Kyle, a retired LEO from Dallas PD SWAT. The meeting took place at a LEO conference I was attending where he was an instructor. I happened to be reading Chris's book at the time. He saw that I had Chris's book and said he was tight with him. As we talked he mentioned that In addiction to Chris's confirmed kills (170 ) Chris had done a good bit of " wet work" so his real numbers where in the 240 range. This is not known far and wide since the shots were not confirmed in the normal way due to who he working for and where he was operating. Still awesome! Glad he was on our side!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DarlaG
Dirtfarmer,

You are 100% CORRECT. = The USA has MANY unsung & "forgotten" heroes. Many real heroes' service is UNKNOWN even to their nearest kinfolk.

Btw, both Darla's & my father served in combat but nether of know much about their war service.

Mr Costello was a CPL in the Korean War with the 187th ABN Brigade.
(Darla knows little of his service as a paratrooper, as both of her parents were killed in a traffic accident near Portland, OR, when she was just 3 years old. - She was raised by her widowed grandmother.)

My dad served from 08DEC41-30SEP45 in B17/B29 bombers with the USAAC, in both the European & Pacific Theaters.
(He died of a massive heart attack when I was in high school & seldom would talk about his WWII service with the USAAC, even when I tried to ask him about it.)

yours, tex

Yep and not just snipers. My 92 yr old FIL was a sailor on the Belleau Wood, a Cruiser converted aircraft carrier hit by a Kamikaze during the Pacific War. They saved the ship, went on fighting, ultimately ending up in Japan after the surrender. Those guys are dying off, not that many left. FIL used to attend Belleau Wood reunions. Now, not enough left to have a reunion. Their reunion is more and more on the other side. They were tough.

After the war, the French ended up with the ship. In the ‘50’s it was decommissioned, sunk to become a home for the fishes. And life moves on.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dirtfarmer,

VERY TRUE. - Of all of the WWII veterans from my home county, that my dad ever introduced me to, there are exactly TWO left.

I honor ALL of the WWII Vets for their service.

yours, tex

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 270cowboy, 160user, 257_X_50, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,012
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.