Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read Swaro fans preferring their glass over Leica. Curious about Swaro vs Zeiss glass......whether scope or bino. I realize they have various 'Grades' among their offerings....and country of origin varies even in a single brand.

You can throw in Leica and Schmidt and Bender if you want to compare what your eyes told you.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As far as producing vivid, brilliant images that are pleasing to the eye, the Schmidt & Bender Stratos 2.5-13x56 is the best I have tried with the Leica ERi 3-12x56 a close second. I love the flatness of the Swarovski images and the fact they remain fairly consistent in production over many years, but I base what I use more on low-light capability than anything else. The very best scopes in low-light often aren't the most impressive in terms of daylight image rendition.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've owned and/or used numerous binocs over the years from all the high end makers. IMHO, for the average guy with average eyesight, unless you have them side by side continuously, you will never know what your missing when comparing the "alpha" makers. They are all superb in their own way. You can throw in the Nikon EDG as well, as it is as good as anything on the planet, and I'm not a Nikon fan.

I pay much less attention to it with riflescopes, as any $300 scope nowadays, optically, will allow you to see what you're aiming at. They will get you through legal shooting hours as well given you can see the reticlle. I have never thought, when looking through a scope, that I wished the colors were more vivid, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've owned and/or used numerous binocs over the years from all the high end makers. IMHO, for the average guy with average eyesight, unless you have them side by side continuously, you will never know what your missing when comparing the "alpha" makers. They are all superb in their own way. You can throw in the Nikon EDG as well, as it is as good as anything on the planet, and I'm not a Nikon fan.

I pay much less attention to it with riflescopes, as any $300 scope nowadays, optically, will allow you to see what you're aiming at. They will get you through legal shooting hours as well given you can see the reticlle. I have never thought, when looking through a scope, that I wished the colors were more vivid, etc.

+1 million

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 65BR
Read Swaro fans preferring their glass over Leica. Curious about Swaro vs Zeiss glass......whether scope or bino. I realize they have various 'Grades' among their offerings....and country of origin varies even in a single brand.

You can throw in Leica and Schmidt and Bender if you want to compare what your eyes told you.

There are plenty of bird watching forums that compare Different Binos Google Swaro EL vs Zeiss SF

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I agree its splitting hairs at a certain point. With binos do you really need that high level ones for hunting or shooting?

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
During a typical hunting day I may glass for hours, literally. I use binocs 99% of the time compared to a scope's 1% if/when I get ready to shoot. So to answer your quesiton "high level" glass makes sense for binocs, not so much for rifle scopes. YMMV.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’m badly color blind and Zeiss glass seems to make colors pop a little more. For what it’s worth, I own more Swarovski glass because the overall benefits pointed to Swarovski. Everyone’s sees things differently so there’s not a wrong answer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by elkaddict
Everyone sees things differently so there’s not a wrong answer.

elkaddict's answer sums it up perfectly.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How does Nikon HG glass stack up to these?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JackVliet

My eyes put it in the Conquest HD, Meostar HD, Toric UHD range. The HG's have a very wide FOV.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Traditionally, Zeiss binoculars leaned toward a little more resolution, Leica toward contrast and Swaro toward a larger sweetspot. With binoculars that is still true to a certain degree, although all three are very good and the choice really comes down to personal preference.

With riflescopes, I can't quite figure out what Zeiss is doing since all of the V4, V6, V8 scopes I have seen to date were very substandard given the price. I think Leica Magnus and Swarovski Z8 are at the top of the heap right now and the choice between them is kinda tricky. In general, in terms of optics, I slightly prefer Magnus owing to how it handles color and microcontrast. It makes a little bit of a difference in low light. I am not sure how the latest S&B scopes fit into that theme. They have had a few different designers, so there are some differences in how compromises in S&Bs are made depending on which team worked on it. Generally, it is a nice neutral image with good contrast. S&B Polar/Ultrabright scopes are very good.

Now, new Blaser binoculars riflescopes are sorta challenging the established top names, but until I spend some more time with them, it is hard to say for sure how they do.

ILya

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the feedback folks! No doubt - much is subjective to each individual's vision.

Great feedback by all, and I agree on needs on Binos vs an aiming device. My thoughts are more for Bino's, but I did have a Swaro scope in the past and the difference in color contrast was apparent, though whether necessary is another matter.

I don't typically glass thru a scope, but appreciate all optical qualities in both bino and scopes.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JackVliet

The Nikon Monarch HG stacks up very well in the mid-range, I find it and the Zeiss Conquest to be great choices here.

I have both, and also some other alpha models to compare to.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.