Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
FYI, for those who do not like the altitude, AG composites plan to have two other stock ready to go for tikkas this summer. They plan to introduce the alpine hunter and privateer.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

These thoughts about the butt being high and a vertical grip are OK for prone and position shooting with rifles that don’t have much recoil. I can’t think of anything worse for a 416.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RinB

These thoughts about the butt being high and a vertical grip are OK for prone and position shooting with rifles that don’t have much recoil. I can’t think of anything worse for a 416.

Are Tikkas chambered in 416, and do you shoot 416’s at long range?

This is a stock built for longer range use, but it is designed poorly for that.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

As a matter of fact I am considering using a Tikka for a 416 Taylor because I like the reliability of centerline feed. You have convinced me that the Tikka T3x is extremely underrated. With it, I will be really happy to make 100% of all shots attempted within 200 yards.

I didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. I only intended to point out that broad statements about this or that being good or bad don’t apply to all situations. I certainly accept your opinion that it is poorly designed for LR shooting.

Your knowledge is impressive and I go out of my way to read your posts but I also believe we are all biased by our own experience. In most hunting situations, I am not too interested in attempting first shots much beyond 450 or so. For example, on Cape buffalo or lions, I want to be within 75 yards for the first shot. For me, getting closer is much more challenging and interesting.

I have been involved in training young professionals and try to impress upon them the following:
“Just because you can do something doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.”

Last edited by RinB; 04/01/19.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RinB

As a matter of fact I am considering using a Tikka for a 416 Taylor because I like the reliability of centerline feed. You have convinced me that the Tikka T3x is extremely underrated. With it, I will be really happy to make 100% of all shots attempted within 200 yards.

I didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. I only intended to point out that broad statements about this or that being good or bad don’t apply to all situations. I certainly accept your opinion that it is poorly designed for LR shooting.

Your knowledge is impressive and I go out of my way to read your posts but I also believe we are all biased by our own experience. In most hunting situations, I am not too interested in attempting first shots much beyond 450 or so. For example, on Cape buffalo or lions, I want to be within 75 yards for the first shot. For me, getting closer is much more challenging and interesting.

I have been involved in training young professionals and try to impress upon them the following:
“Just because you can do something doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.”

To be clear- the forum written word is a poor substitute for conversation. I meant nothing other than the honest question. I’m sure there is someone who shoots a 416 at long range.

My comments here aren’t meant to be anything other than taken for this stock and others of its ilk. It’s a stock with long range in its intent, but there are issues with it for that. You are 100% correct of course- the design that makes an optimum LR stock might lead to damage with real hard kickers. Different use, different needs.

But, forget all that... I want to hear about a 416 on a tikka!

Last edited by Formidilosus; 04/01/19.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,066
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.