Damn Hank.

How long ya in town for?

No clue. Should find out more tomorrow.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That sucks. Got a good story to go with it?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
That sucks. Got a good story to go with it?

Nope. Took a step off a porch that was less than a foot high and botched it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had ketamine one time during a spinal steroid injection. I didn't like it at all. I had a psychedelic out of body type of experience and felt completely out of control. It scared me worse than almost anything ever has, I thought I had died. I had a few crazy scary dreams in the weeks and months after as well. They wanted to give it too me last year while removing a heel spur and reattaching my Achilles. I said no thanks and I think they used propofol and fentanyl instead.

That was ok, I just slept during the 2 hour surgery. Then they sent me home with 20 pain pills and said don't ask for any more. The first month plus was extremely miserable and it hurt bad for 6 months. I have to have the other leg done soon and I'm thinking about using a different surgeon. The guy who did my first one is fine but didn't take my pain serious at all. Did the surgery in his own surgical center which was just a room at his office. Then sent me home 30 min after I woke up. 2 days later I told him how bad it hurt and he said most people don't complain of pain and that I need to toughen up. 6 months later he told me the procedures he did on me were the most painful ones he does and they always hurt for at least 6 months.

The other surgeon said he would have done a nerve block and kept me 3 days in the hospital to make sure my pain was under control. He could believe I went through the last one with 20 pills. They cut my calf in 3 places and lengthened it. Spasms made you want to die. I would have taken ketamine over those. Having your Achilles cut off and screwed back on during a major psoriatic arthritis flare hurts.

Bb

The nerve block is something else. My entire lower leg is still 99% completely numb. I bet its saving me a lot of pain though. When that starts wearing off they are going to switch to oxycodone.

Sorry to hear this ordeal. Take the oxys to stay ahead of the pain.

Your pain level is "always" 4 or higher when they ask. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm surprised the sx could not be done in Juneau.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Harborview

What room number are ya held up in? Have any needs?

I’m in town on the ambulance tonight and can try to swing by supplies if you have any needs.

Will message you a contact number.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Harborview

Man they should of shipped you to anchorage we all could of visited you and brought you some booze and hookers..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Harborview

Man they should of shipped you to anchorage we all could of visited you and brought you some booze and hookers..

One of your dead hookers?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S
Harborview

One of your dead hookers?

She was alive when I dropped her off at your place.. wth you do? Cincinnati chili killed her I see.

Last edited by 79S; 02/21/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dang! Nasty break and not even a fun story to go with it! I hope the surgery goes well and the recovery is fast. Summer is coming and I know you don't want to miss it!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sorry to hear about the injury.

Same here, prayers for your recovery!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sorry to hear about the injury.

Same here. I hope you heal-up okay..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope it heals well and quickly.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sorry to hear of your escapades. Heal up, do the PT and get yourself back into the game as quick as you can. Take the time you need to heal and don't drag it on for years. The time actually needed is like pay it now or pay more later.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Harborview

They tried sending me to ANC but I guess their ortho ward was full or something, so they sent me here instead.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Ketamine is an old drug, but a good drug. Patients often complain it makes them feel nasty but it greatly relieves pain without having negative effects on blood pressure and heart rate, and does NOT cause respiratory depression. This can be critical when you're dealing with trauma. When you have a bad fracture-dislocation (such as an ankle F-D) you need to get it reduced asap to restore circulation and to prevent nerve damage. Ketamine gives docs the ability to do that. Most of the drugs we have historically used to reduce fractures/ dislocations in the ER produce one or all of these negative effects, but ketamine gives us a fast "out" when we need it. .

Yep, it has some real advantages used even solo in certain situations, and some more when a couple additional drugs are added; however, what you describe is why it fell out of general use for quite a while in anesthesia practices with the exception of very young children who didn’t seem to get the dysphoric reactions. It’s come back a bit into favor again because research showed very small doses would affect the brain reducing the perception of some kinds of post-surgical pain.

And what D Roc mentioned above about good analgesia with cardiovascular support, something the narcotics don’t do is a huge advantage in many cases. It’s not a narco- but classified as dissociative drug.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dogs seemed to enjoy it, take a trip and never leave the farm as the vet was fond of saying. Older rural folk generally didn't get the reference. IIRC special k was considered a boon in Vietnam but for the dissociative effects.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had ketamine one time during a spinal steroid injection. I didn't like it at all. I had a psychedelic
out of body type of experience and felt completely out of control. It scared me worse than almost anything ever has,
I thought I had died.

If you don't mind elaborating..What was so scary about being 'dead'...? .. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Harborview

You don't like him enough to bring blow?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So I broke and dislocated my ankle on tuesday, finally got me to town on wed. When they went to reset it they gave me Ketamine. Anybody ever have that before?

Good lord, I didn't like it at all. Totally warped reality, no thanks. Took the learjet from Juneau and got into surgery this morning. Put a plate and some pins in there. Gave me a block they hasn't worn off yet so it doesn't hurt, but I am sure that it will soon.

Good times!

That sucks! Take care of yourself!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,207
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.