-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got a goodly stash of large pistol primers and only one pistol to use them in so was thinking of trying them in some very reduced rifle loads. Lyman's cast bullet manual shows several loads for the calibers in mind that stay in the 13,000 - 18,000 CUP range, well under what these could be used for even in magnum handguns. Rifles would be a Ruger 77 .308 and .30-06, Ruger No. 1 30-06 and a Winchester 1885 38-55.

I know rifle primers have a heavier cup to withstand a harder firing pin blow but is there more than a remote possibility that using the LP primers in such low pressure loads would result in a real danger of pierced primers just from the harder blow? I also fully understand it's not an optimum use but have never tried this and am looking for real world empirical information here.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They have different dims. Check the SAAMI web page for specifics.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Didn't even think about that part, but that's a definitive answer. Thanks!

Hmm, now I gotta find a way to pop off 8,000 pistol primers without getting some kind of repetitive stress injury - and that's just from casting the bullets needed. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You need to buy more pistols...

One large pistol primer popping pistol isn't enough... blush

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've used large pistol primers in loads without ever having an issue...

this was in loads using powder like Unique for kids, in the 06 and 270, 243 and 260 Rem...
Cast bullet loads out of Lyman # 3 manual for cast bullets. using jacketed bullets as substitutes.

This was back during Obama's term in office, when primers in general were hard to find anywhere.

Never saw an issue... been using the small pistol primers and small mag primers in the 223
with light duty gopher loads... again, during the Obama years...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Small pistol and rifle primers have the same dims. My recollection about the large primers is that cup length is somewhat shorter for the pistol version. Whether or not it's a problem is not something I will speculate about.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've used large pistol primers in loads without ever having an issue...

this was in loads using powder like Unique for kids, in the 06 and 270, 243 and 260 Rem...
Cast bullet loads out of Lyman # 3 manual for cast bullets. using jacketed bullets as substitutes.

This was back during Obama's term in office, when primers in general were hard to find anywhere.

Never saw an issue... been using the small pistol primers and small mag primers in the 223
with light duty gopher loads... again, during the Obama years...

I have done the same with LP primers in low pressure rifle loads. The LP primer cups are slightly shorter than LR primer cups, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in low pressure loads as long as the firing pin isn't super short.

Just don't mix them the other way, using LR primers in pistol loads. The primers will stand proud of the case head.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've done it too, a long time ago with mouse fart cast bullet loads. Frankly, I saw no advantage and knocked it off.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Back in the shortages I used a bunch of Winchester magnum large pistol primers to light off many 45-70 loads. The small amount shorter made no difference to my Marlin. Mostly pushed 350 gr. cast at 1550 fps.

Last edited by rickt300; 02/20/19.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used large pistol primers in the 35 Remington rifle cartridge without problems. The pressure limit for the 35 Rem (35K psi) is less than a 44 magnum (36 psi) cartridge. It can be done under the right circumstances.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It sounds like it will be fairly safe to try out.

I've had to go the other way - I've got a Bergara BA13 single shot rifle in 9mm. The Winchester 147gn BSB factory ammo shoots the best but the firing pin will just tear the primer on about half the rounds - evidenced by a black primer indentation. I can't see the tear so it must be small, and doesn't seem to affect the round otherwise.

As a result I use small rifle primers in my handloads for this rifle.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Small rifle and small pistol primers are identical in size.

Large rifle and large pistol primers are not, large rifle primers are taller. Don't use large rifle primers in pistol cases.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There has been some documentation to large pistol primers cratering breechblocks in black powder guns ,can't give you a link just remembered that I read about it.MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.