Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Stefan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I remember seeing a thread on how to fix a loose lever on a model 99 by closing the Arc. Is there any special consideration I have to take? Should I be supporting any other metal on the lever as will it bend. Where is the best place to hit with the mallet to close the Arc. Would anyone have a link to the original thread , I was unable to find it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Stefan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Great Thank you

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is headspace affected?

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If I recollect there seems to be some controversy on how this effects head space, or something like that. It seems to me that an effective way to solve the problem would be to add some weld to the end of the lever and then refit it to the stub it bottoms out against when the lever is closed. The 99 action looks like it relies on the friction fit of the lever at that location and at the rear of the bolt when in battery to hold it all in place.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

S
Stefan Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Not sure to be honest I have not shot the rifle yet , my father has it fully dis assembled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How would it effect headspace? That is purely a function of the the length of the bolt from where it butts solidly against the receiver to its face. Jockeying the lever arc only effects how well the bolt fits in its space (and curing droop). If the bolt was too short before, it'll still be too short after the lever is tweaked. If anything it'll effect the angle of the bolt face in relation to the cartridge head, but that would be a very tiny angle.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/24/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I know is the lever controls how high and forward the breech bolt goes, which would affect headspace.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the wear that occurs on the parts i,e, lever, bolt, and receiver will affect the headspacing on the 99 and the lever is the weakest link IMO the boss on the lever is the area that usually is the culprit. tightening the lever fit(arc) doesn't have much effect on headspacing but does make for a better lock-up.

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
All I know is the lever controls how high and forward the breech bolt goes, which would affect headspace.

ditto

plab

Gotta love them 303's
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The whole point in restoring the proper arc in the lever is so it will cam the bolt into its fully closed and locked position. Properly adjusted, it restores proper head space.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
How would it effect headspace? That is purely a function of the the length of the bolt from where it butts solidly against the receiver to its face. Jockeying the lever arc only effects how well the bolt fits in its space (and curing droop). If the bolt was too short before, it'll still be too short after the lever is tweaked. If anything it'll effect the angle of the bolt face in relation to the cartridge head, but that would be a very tiny angle.

That makes sense to me.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

And Roy has probably logged more time in working 99s than the average bear.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
But it seems to me that head space has everything to do with the length of the bolt in the slot of the receiver between the barrel breech and back wall and the lever has everything to do with how the bolt goes in and out of that slot, or battery. Has anyone ever did before and after headspace measurements on a 99 where the the arch of the lever had been tightened up with the mallet method?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Yes, but if the lever pushes the bolt too far forward and it then doesn't bear firmly against the rear at the receiver, you'll get a false headspace reading. Upon discharge the bolt will be pushed back hard against the receiver to where it wants to be, and I'll bet it'll undo all the good work you've done in tweaking the bolt in fairly short order too. Not to mention giving you stretched cases (but you would have been getting them anyway since there would have been a headspace issue from the start).

Presupposing that headspace was good from the git-go, tweaking the lever arc to cure some lever droop won't effect headspace one way or another, IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The opening that the bolt fits into is angled at the back so the further the bolt goes up the further forward the bolt goes. It is possible to go too high and actually pull the bolt off of the bearing surface at the back. I've experienced that when swapping parts around and experimenting with fit. Like Lightfoot says, there's a happy spot that is fully closed and in battery, no more and no less.

I still need to study that relationship some more.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Presupposing that headspace was good from the git-go, tweaking the lever arc to cure some lever droop won't effect headspace one way or another, IMO.

Ditto

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, but if the lever pushes the bolt too far forward and it then doesn't bear firmly against the rear at the receiver, you'll get a false headspace reading. Upon discharge the bolt will be pushed back hard against the receiver to where it wants to be, and I'll bet it'll undo all the good work you've done in tweaking the bolt in fairly short order too. Not to mention giving you stretched cases (but you would have been getting them anyway since there would have been a headspace issue from the start).

I'm shaky on this, so you guys check me, but does lever droop have to do with bearing on one side of the lever, while the breechbolt bears on the other side?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rather than ask, I should be out there trying to see up inside the lever/bolt interface. It's hidden up in there.

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/24/19.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this will be a long post ,
closing the arc on the lever will bring it to bear in the bottom of the receiver where it is machined at an angle( a boss) or "locking surface" that the lever bears on. thus
tightening the lever or lever drop as we all refer to. now think about this .closing the arc just brought that downward to the receiver, therefore it no longer pushes the bolt as high as when the arc was open. OK so what really happens to the 99 over time ? does the arc on the lever open up ? does the tip "bearing surface" of the lever wear ? what about the boss milled into bottom of the receiver? or the one on the lever? the slot in the bolt ? . I say all these surfaces wear over time. thus headspacing can and will be lost over time . now closing that arc really does nothing more than bringing that milled boss on the lever downward therefore the bolt no longer gets pushed as far upward. a loose lever will push the bolt higher. but it makes for a soft springy lockup in the 99. headspacing for the most part is quite forgiving but some rifles wear enough to end up with problems.

Gotta love them 303's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 73 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.