Hop To
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
There are times when a revolver beats a pistol - firing with the muzzle contacting the bear is one of them.

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Yondering
Burleyboy, no offense or insult intended at all, just a suggestion - assuming you've tried different mags, try gripping that Glock a lot harder than whatever you're doing now. Damaged/worn out magazines or a soft loose grip are the only ways I've seen a Glock consistently do what you describe. If you have fairly thick fleshy hands, you might have to bear down harder than other people.
If I have to worry about my grip on a weapon in order to force it to be reliable, I want another weapon. Gripping the gun for accuracy, etc. is enough to think about without having to worry about whether or not the danged thing will fire or jam due to grip.

You said you owned Glocks and they ran reliably so you know what I'm talking about. You have to hold them pretty loose to cause a malfunction, but that sounds to me like the most likely explanation of Burleyboy's issues. If you just hold them like most people do, they run fine as you experienced. Aint no mystery to it, just because one guy can't get his to work right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You have to hold them pretty loose to cause a malfunction, but that sounds to me like the most likely explanation of Burleyboy's issues. If you just hold them like most people do, they run fine as you experienced. Aint no mystery to it, just because one guy can't get his to work right.

I seldom go to the range, when others are there, without seeing someone having functional difficulties with a glock.

Did my CCW requal 6 weeks or so ago and the only guy, of 15, with function issues was using a glock 19

I'm a little tired of hearing about glock's supposed "reliability"

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Burleyboy, no offense or insult intended at all, just a suggestion - assuming you've tried different mags, try gripping that Glock a lot harder than whatever you're doing now. Damaged/worn out magazines or a soft loose grip are the only ways I've seen a Glock consistently do what you describe. If you have fairly thick fleshy hands, you might have to bear down harder than other people.
If I have to worry about my grip on a weapon in order to force it to be reliable, I want another weapon. Gripping the gun for accuracy, etc. is enough to think about without having to worry about whether or not the danged thing will fire or jam due to grip.

You said you owned Glocks and they ran reliably so you know what I'm talking about. You have to hold them pretty loose to cause a malfunction, but that sounds to me like the most likely explanation of Burleyboy's issues. If you just hold them like most people do, they run fine as you experienced. Aint no mystery to it, just because one guy can't get his to work right.
I think Glocks are reliable weapons. I also think "limp wristing" is oft times used as an excuse because the gun is unreliable. I wasn't there so I have no idea in this case.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by johnw

You have to hold them pretty loose to cause a malfunction, but that sounds to me like the most likely explanation of Burleyboy's issues. If you just hold them like most people do, they run fine as you experienced. Aint no mystery to it, just because one guy can't get his to work right.

I seldom go to the range, when others are there, without seeing someone having functional difficulties with a glock.

Did my CCW requal 6 weeks or so ago and the only guy, of 15, with function issues was using a glock 19

I seldom go to the range without seeing some clueless idiots there. It doesn't mean much. You're consistently down on Glocks here, apparently because you just prefer something else and want others to feel the same. That doesn't mean much either.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/27/19.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Gen3 SF Glock 20 has never missed a beat. However I had some POST required training last week that included a four hour block on the range for a qualification. There was a shooter on each side of me with new Glock 9mm's. Both these dudes had multiple malfunctions. This range is covered by a roof and each lane is a tunnel that you step in to so it's hard to see what is going on beside you. I was aware the range officer was at each station while these guys cleared choked guns. I don't know what the issues were or what gun and ammo other than they were "new Glock 9's." Thought that unusual.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Do you find them to be unreliable?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Requal?? WTH?

We don't have that in Florida. Just have to renew license with new photo every 10 years.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Do you know ALL the specifics of that single example? What load? Factory or reloaded/handloaded? Round count of the pistol? Condition of maintenance? Age of the magazines?

I can make any pistol puke simply by using crap ammo.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WTM45

Do you know ALL the specifics of that single example? What load? Factory or reloaded/handloaded? Round count of the pistol? Condition of maintenance? Age of the magazines?

I can make any pistol puke simply by using crap ammo.

There's a good chance that malfing Glock had a few parts 'upgrades'.

I'm guilty of keeping mine pretty much bone stock, except for tritium sights and a Hogue grip sleeve.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This trend probably has something to do with modern ammo choices, and modern auto-pistol reliability greatly improved.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This trend probably has something to do with modern ammo choices, and modern auto-pistol reliability greatly improved.

So do you think the 460 Rowland would become popular if there was a $700 pistol for it?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All hard cast bullets produce wounds that are so similar as to be near indistinguishable from each other. 9mm, 10mm, .44, .45, etc.

All of them poke holes and the bullet must go through an organ to damage that organ.

For a physiological stop in a charge, those holes must go through the CNS.

All hard casts penetrate deep enough to reach the CNS on the biggest bear from any realiastic angle.

NO ONE can shoot a .44 revolver as fast and accurate as they can a 9mm semi. No one.

As recoil goes up 9mm> 40S&W>45Auto>10mm>.44mag>, performance goes down. That is actual hits are less, and time is more.

You have a known target. A 6-8” brain that is moving. Small time period. I want the the easiest to shoot gun that will consistently penetrate the skull, and/or a quartering away shot through meat into the spine. Aka- 9mm semi, red dot, Surefire xc2, muzzle comp,with hardcasts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Virtually all of the Glock stoppages I see are attributable to:

a. Limp-wristed hold

b. Weak (read: range) ammo

c. Combination of a and b

d. Lack of lubrication

e. a, b and d.

A properly secured Glock, properly lubricated and fired from a proper isosceles or modified Weaver stance, will run for thousands and thousands of rounds without cleaning.

80% of the aftermarket stuff I have for a Glock is night sights. I have one Glock 17 with a "competition" trigger, and that's because I bought it that way.

Last edited by David_Walter; 02/28/19. Reason: typos

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by MOGC
You can't press it hard enough against an object to push it out of battery.

True if you're only pushing on the barrel. But if you push a Glock against something squishy, it will go out of battery easily. I love Glocks, but that big square slide has a disadvantage. It is certainly easy to tie up a revolver, but not by shoving it into a bear's gut.

I've never heard of a real incident where that was a problem in an actual bear attack.

John Stark.
D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
All hard cast bullets produce wounds that are so similar as to be near indistinguishable from each other. 9mm, 10mm, .44, .45, etc.

All of them poke holes and the bullet must go through an organ to damage that organ.

For a physiological stop in a charge, those holes must go through the CNS.

All hard casts penetrate deep enough to reach the CNS on the biggest bear from any realiastic angle.

NO ONE can shoot a .44 revolver as fast and accurate as they can a 9mm semi. No one.

As recoil goes up 9mm> 40S&W>45Auto>10mm>.44mag>, performance goes down. That is actual hits are less, and time is more.

You have a known target. A 6-8” brain that is moving. Small time period. I want the the easiest to shoot gun that will consistently penetrate the skull, and/or a quartering away shot through meat into the spine. Aka- 9mm semi, red dot, Surefire xc2, muzzle comp,with hardcasts.

Uh-hem - male bovine excrement.

D
dla Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by MOGC
You can't press it hard enough against an object to push it out of battery.

True if you're only pushing on the barrel. But if you push a Glock against something squishy, it will go out of battery easily. I love Glocks, but that big square slide has a disadvantage. It is certainly easy to tie up a revolver, but not by shoving it into a bear's gut.

I've never heard of a real incident where that was a problem in an actual bear attack.

That's because folks carry revolvers chambered for appropriate cartridges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DLA,

Where do you live and what face to face experience do you have with big bears?

And, how many times have you been contact close?

Phil Shoemaker, 458_Lott on this forum, hunts big bears for a living, and he carries a Glock 43 with Buffalo Bore hard cast bullets as a back up.

Your turn.

John Stark.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dla

Uh-hem - male bovine excrement.

Educate me. Please tell me the magical properties that .045 of an inch makes (9mm to 10mm) with hardcasts? Or make it real big for you and the difference in .074 of an inch (9mm to 44mag) with hardcasts?

Or tell me the bear skull that the whopping .074” smaller bullet won’t penetrate.

Or the magical person that can shoot a 44 mag as well as a 9mm?

The difference here is I’m not guessing what all of those bullets do in tissue or bone. None of them make the required impact velocity for secondary wounding effects. Therefore they all poke holes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve seen a bear...

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 38 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,139
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.