Ah, for the good old days.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Nothing presented beats a K22 that has had it trigger / sear worked...

Mine is a family lineage made ~ 1962, accurate as anything

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was actually looking for a mid 50's K22 to match my K38 and ran across a '41 OMT on consignment. Needless to say I bought it. A bit different with the front and rear adjustable sights, but the fit and finish is way beyond what one can get nowadays. The hand tuned action is again unlike anything like one gets now. A bygone era.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO it's a tie between the K22 and a Single Six.

They're two different animals but both excel at their jobs.

I have a 1946 K22 and a 80's era fixed sight SS.....I'd never part with either.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The gentleman who dug my pond and built my dam years ago was a gun nut so of course we would talk guns when we'd meet. We were talking about favorite guns and went to his truck and returned with a K22 Masterpiece that had hardly any bluing left (and not a spot of rust). He'd owned it since he was a kid. He let me shoot it and I don't think I've felt another revolver that was as smooth....or really even close.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan Wesson 15V......

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The gentleman who dug my pond and built my dam years ago was a gun nut so of course we would talk guns when we'd meet. We were talking about favorite guns and went to his truck and returned with a K22 Masterpiece that had hardly any bluing left (and not a spot of rust). He'd owned it since he was a kid. He let me shoot it and I don't think I've felt another revolver that was as smooth....or really even close.

Cool story JCM, my dozer guy is a gun freak too, sucks when we start talking guns when he's on the clock at 80 bucks an hour. shocked laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
Any votes for the Colt Diamondback?

The grips do not fit my hand as well. I am a Colt fan through and through, but that has always been a sticking point when shooting their double actions. I even shoot my S&W 686 more than the Python just for that reason. The Camp Perry, no problem.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
This one is wickedly accurate. I have had 10-22s that could not shoot as well.

[Linked Image]

What model precisely is this gun. Gorgeous!!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Later Model 17 that had the full underlug barrel....not many made compared to the non-lug version, more of the stainless version are out there...617s...

17-6 I believe is correct model.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801689601

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800565159

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Naturally RJM is correct.

I actually had to go look, as I did not know what dash # it was myself and was curious. I had not doubt that Bob was right though, and as usual, he was spot on!

That particular Model 17 came to me through my friend who is the co-owner of a well known holster shop. I told him many years ago I was looking for a K Frame .22 and he came up with this one. It belonged to a Deputy Sheriff in rural Eastern Oregon and is truly a phenomenal tack driver. It will truly be one of the very last guns I ever get rid of.

While a bit heavy, it balances very nicely and is a true joy to shoot. In fact I made one of of my longest ever rimfire kills that I can ever recall with that gun on a jackrabbit. My memory is a bit hazy but somewhere in the 125 ish yard range (back when iron sights were not fuzzy). Jacks are notoriously hard to kill with .22LR unless you get a CNS hit and this one was a bang-flop. It was actually just a lucky shot, but memorable nonetheless.

This is NOT the same Jack, but another unfortunate one that crossed paths with the beautiful old full lugged M17:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Naturally RJM is correct.

I actually had to go look, as I did not know what dash # it was myself and was curious. I had not doubt that Bob was right though, and as usual, he was spot on!

That particular Model 17 came to me through my friend who is the co-owner of a well known holster shop. I told him many years ago I was looking for a K Frame .22 and he came up with this one. It belonged to a Deputy Sheriff in rural Eastern Oregon and is truly a phenomenal tack driver. It will truly be one of the very last guns I ever get rid of.

While a bit heavy, it balances very nicely and is a true joy to shoot. In fact I made one of of my longest ever rimfire kills that I can ever recall with that gun on a jackrabbit. My memory is a bit hazy but somewhere in the 125 ish yard range (back when iron sights were not fuzzy). Jacks are notoriously hard to kill with .22LR unless you get a CNS hit and this one was a bang-flop. It was actually just a lucky shot, but memorable nonetheless.

This is NOT the same Jack, but another unfortunate one that crossed paths with the beautiful old full lugged M17:

[Linked Image]

Hanging here on the Fire, one could come to the conclusion that a .460 is THE jackwabbit round. Elk in NM has posted a bunch of dead wabbit pictures with that big gun. Guess them old wabbits pretty tough, especially in NM. Amazed that a mere rimfire would stop one...!

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
HA!

I see NOTHING wrong with shooting them with a .460. smile

In fact years back I mentioned to my dad that we ought to take out some big guns and do a hunt with with them. However I was thinking somewhat reduced loads using cast bullets in 45-70 lever guns, 375 bolt actions, 338s, or whatever.

I have shot literally thousands with .44 mags, so I have zero probs with using a large bore rifle. smile

BTW, this is what happens when you hit one with a full power, 185 grain (if I recall right) JHP out of a 44 mag:

[Linked Image]

versus a cast bullet:

[Linked Image]

Back to Rimfires:

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gunner500

Cool story JCM, my dozer guy is a gun freak too, sucks when we start talking guns when he's on the clock at 80 bucks an hour. shocked laugh

Yes sir, that's a costly conversation. I was fortunate in that he quoted me a set price on the pond!

Sadly that gentleman was killed in a tractor accident a few years ago. Didn't come home one evening and his wife found him. Looked like the tractor he was pulling a sprayer with hit a hole on a hillside and either the liquid sloshing in the sprayer or just the hole caused the tractor to turn over. He was a careful and knowledgeable man who'd operated heavy equipment all his life...thinking it happened to him makes me take extra care.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

Yes sir, that's a costly conversation. I was fortunate in that he quoted me a set price on the pond!

Sadly that gentleman was killed in a tractor accident a few years ago. Didn't come home one evening and his wife found him. Looked like the tractor he was pulling a sprayer with hit a hole on a hillside and either the liquid sloshing in the sprayer or just the hole caused the tractor to turn over. He was a careful and knowledgeable man who'd operated heavy equipment all his life...thinking it happened to him makes me take extra care.

Yeah, equipment can be dangerous.

I'm always mindful of what can happen when I'm operating a dozer or tractor.

It's not too unlike gun handling. As long as you are very aware of what you're dealing with, the safer you'll be.

DF

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I learned to shoot with a S&W K22 Masterpiece - fond memories. But some slime-rodent stole it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My first hand gun was a 6" K-38. It was about the time I started reloading as a high school student, probably 15 or so. Picked up pecans, saved to buy that gun at a pawn shop, new for $83.00. I considered others, such as a Ruger .22, but went with the center fire to reload.

I used it a bunch until it was showing wear. Sent it back to Smith for refinish and refurb. Haven't used it that much since then.

I have a .357 Combat Masterpiece (K frame 4" with ramp front sight). I reshaped the grips, refinished and recheckered. I like a smaller sized grip, find the factory grip too large. I wish I could find after market grips with that same contour. The ones with smaller girp, tend to be too long, position the hand too low to suit me. The Hogue Miculek grips are made that way, although a lot better than S&W OEM. www.hogueinc.com/specialty/jerry-miculek

I slicked up that gun until it's pretty amazing to shoot. When I did my CCW shooting test, I used it with come cowboy action low powered loads. Piece of cake to shoot a one hole target. Wish I could still shoot that well with aging eyes. That was almost cheating... wink

I picked up a pair of 8 3/8" K frames at a gun show some years back, a K-22 and a K-38. Still have them. They both have the target hammer and trigger; I prefer a slicked up std width trigger like my original K-38 and the Combat Masterpiece, but these are nice guns. I slimmed the grips, painted both with Krinkle paint for a good grip.

My over achiever, tax lawyer son-in-law from New Orleans spotted a coon in my yard after dark; we were coming in after a wedding. I asked where it went and he pointed out the tree. I went in the house, got the 8 3/8" K-22 and a good flash light. Found the coon, shot him out of the tree. My SIL was standing 30 yds away on my front porch with my daughter, watching the whole thing. This boy has never shot a gun, doesn't have a gun, doesn't like guns. His comment, "Wow, this is my first hunting trip"...

Oh well... grin

DF

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After hunting Jacks with Mackay, I don't plan on shooting them again with a .22 LR handgun. I had no problem hitting them but keeping them down was another thing. I think Mackay finished off half the rabbits I hit with his .22 rifle... Next time out the 6.5" FAs and/or the Model 53 both in .327 are going with me... All the Jacks I shot in Texas with a handgun were with the Model 53 when it was a .22 Jet....and it was a hammer.

As to the original question of what is the "Finest" .22 Revolver....that is a real hard question because everyone's definition of finest is going to be different. To me it is fit, finish, balance, accuracy and shootability.

..so I probably ruined the finest .22 revolver when I converted my 1961 vintage Model 53 .22 Jet that had the extra .22 LR cylinder to .327 Federal.

Fit and Finish...the mid-1950s to late 1960s Smiths had to be the finest they ever made. Lockup was tight, actions were smooth and finishing is unlike anything before or after.

Balance...unlike a 17 that is just a little muzzle light and the full underlug that is muzzle heavy, the full length Magnum cylinder and 1/2 underlug barrel gave the 53 that little extra magic.

Accuracy...hit a 4' cottonmouth sunning itself at 60 yards..in the head with the Jet. Killed a starling in a tree at 90 with the LR cylinder.

Shootability....The SA pull is better than the average Smith...of which most are excellent anyway. All the students that trained with the gun made little tiny groups even shooting DA....

So that would be my vote...a 60s vintage Model 53 with the extra fitted .22 LR cylinder...

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
S&W Performance Center’s Lew Horton Hertiage Edition Model 17-8 smile

[Linked Image]

I keep watching out for the big bores to come on sale...

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Have you ever examined a pre-war Smith? The one I posted above, made in 1926, is head and shoulders above any 50's - 60's Smith I have examined.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (21, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,811
Posts18,536,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.