Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ya, I know. It will probably be for sale on Craigslist by this time next year, but my wife claims she wants a kayak to leisurely paddle around on local lakes with some friends who have them. Nothing technical at all.

What do I need to know about boats, paddles, PFDs, roof carriers, etc?

Thank you.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You should tell her to research these issues and let you know what all she needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's basically two different types. Sit on kayaks and sit in. In other words some have a deck that you sit on above the water line a bit and others like a canoe you sit inside the hull. Sit ons are a newer thing they're a lot easier to get on and off of but probably aren't great if she wants to kayak in real cold water as you can will get splashed a little. Sit in are more stable and sea worthy normally as you're center of gravity is a bit lower. There's some cole's notes to get you started.

Last edited by Salty303; 03/03/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Quite a few people around here use them for fishing on Truman Lake and some even on the upper Lake of the Ozarks. Some even use them to fish for blue cats... I've seen photos of several over-slots caught from 'yaks. Boating a 30-40lb blue would be a lively time in a kayak I would think.

The local Menards has inexpensive ones on sale for around $150 from time to time but the ones they are fishing from are several hundred dollars more.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Investigate rentals first. That way you can see how heavy they are and how much she enjoys getting back on it after falling out in the middle of the lake.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You should consider doing what I did. My wife said the same thing that your wife said, that she wanted a kayak. I told her to figure out what she wanted as far as the boat and paddle. I volunteered that I would buy her a lead lined PFD. All of a sudden she decided that she could do without a kayak. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Investigate rentals first. That way you can see how heavy they are and how much she enjoys getting back on it after falling out in the middle of the lake.

That's a good idea. Plus they often upgrade every couple few years and sell off their rentals I bought a yak off an outfit that way. At any rate very good to try a few how ever you can swing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sit ons are going to be quite a bit heavier than sitins. I rented a few, including a Hurricane Santee 126 Sport, but ended up buying a Hornbeck boat instead, due to lighter weight (16 lbs). I would encourage renting for a while to make sure she likes it. You will be in for over $1K easily.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

That's a good idea. Plus they often upgrade every couple few years and sell off their rentals I bought a yak off an outfit that way. At any rate very good to try a few how ever you can swing it.

Good advice. That should be our first move.

We got a Dunham's Sports sale flyer in today's Sunday newspaper. They have several lower-end kayaks on sale now. I don't know much about them, but they are also selling all manner of firearms in the same flyer, including AR-15s and AR-10s. I'd be inclined to give them my business for that reason alone.

I'm sure they'll have additional discounts throughout the year after she gets some time in a few rentals.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kid0917
You will be in for over $1K easily.

I'm sure you're right if I wanted something worthwhile out of the gate, but I'm seeing boats in the $200 - $300 range. I might start there and see how things go, if the rentals don't deter her.

Honestly, I don't see this becoming a real hobby. If it does, we can hang onto the cheap kayak for friends or guests and upgrade to something better down the road.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dunhams has a nice selection. i like sit in. they seem more stable to me. i've been yakking for about 15 years in PA on lakes and rivers. one thing i can tell you about the cheap ones like the sub $300 pelicans, etc is that the seats suck and you usually can't replace them. i have a few pelicans we got for $200 and they are ok for little jaunts. spend much time in them and your back and ass will hurt. a couple of years ago i went up a step and got an old town vapor 10 angler from dunhams for $399. they sell the the non angler vapor for $299. the difference between the vapor and the pelicans is the seat is a hell of a lot better and it tracks straighter with less need for corrections. it also has a much more open cockpit which keeps your legs from rubbing on the edges. this is a biggie for me cause i'm 6'1" with long legs. i highly recommend the regular vapor 10 if you are starting out. its not much more than a cheapo and much better. and if you decide to sell it in a few years you can probably still get $200 for it. get a PFD and a cheapo paddle while you're at it. probably 400 bucks all told.

my canoes have sat since i bought the yaks. canoes have a lot more room for stuff but the yak is much more manuverable, doesn't draw hardly any water and one guy can carry it. ~40lbs

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sit ins do much better on a windy lake. I have 2 Old Towns. My favorite is the Dirigio. I suggest the 10 foot if she will be handling it by herself and has to load it by herself but a 12 ft handles better in the water and is more stable. There is more room to fish out of a 12 footer. Some materials also float better if she should turn over. Avoid a cheap plastic one. I highly recommend the Old Town Dirigio.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dunham's flyer includes the Old Town Vapor 10 for $330 and the Dirigo 10 Angler for $500. They are very small photos, but both appear to be sit-ins.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Quite a few people around here use them for fishing on Truman Lake and some even on the upper Lake of the Ozarks. Some even use them to fish for blue cats... I've seen photos of several over-slots caught from 'yaks. Boating a 30-40lb blue would be a lively time in a kayak I would think.

The local Menards has inexpensive ones on sale for around $150 from time to time but the ones they are fishing from are several hundred dollars more.

My retired granddaughter uses one on Truman Lake. We eat most of the fish she catches.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BangPop
You should consider doing what I did. My wife said the same thing that your wife said, that she wanted a kayak. I told her to figure out what she wanted as far as the boat and paddle. I volunteered that I would buy her a lead lined PFD. All of a sudden she decided that she could do without a kayak. grin

You got a laugh out of me.
*knucklepunch*

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Easiest route is get her the same type of kayak her friends have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flat water, ?

I'd get a 12ft sit in.

I wouldnt want to fall off a top sitter in a 40degree water. Unless your only going out in the heat of the summer.

Rather have a sit-in, you can get more water time in. Long as you dont spill it.
Btw, you need to both learn to be about to flip yourself back upright with your paddle. May want to practice in someone's indoor pool.

I have two 12ft Perception boats. For creek sport they work fine. I just let them stick out of my truck bed with the tailgate up, strapped in diagonally.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
Sit ins do much better on a windy lake. I have 2 Old Towns. My favorite is the Dirigio. I suggest the 10 foot if she will be handling it by herself and has to load it by herself but a 12 ft handles better in the water and is more stable. There is more room to fish out of a 12 footer. Some materials also float better if she should turn over. Avoid a cheap plastic one. I highly recommend the Old Town Dirigio.

kwg

The girlfriend and I both purchased Old Town Dirigio’s off of Craig’s List for about half the price of new.
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 is another good 12’ kayak to look at.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
12 ft sit in, spend money on the kayak vest especially if not a strong swimmer, tell her to leave her phone and other chit on shore. Wife and 2 daughters kayak all the time. Good times for them

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife and I took a class together at REI. Tried some rental equipment, but after the class we were able to realize the rental equipment was not only beat up, but it was crap to start with. We picked up a couple off craigslist. Been having a blast together. Our middlendaughter has gone on several trips with us. This child likes to be warm, dry, well fed, and comfortable. She has now been on two trips with my wife and I. We even did a moon light trip. Much fun.

We are planning our first kayak camping trip. Middle child wants to go. Suddenly, I'm ignoring my buddies because my wife and kids have found a love for the outdoors they didnt have before kayaks.

My advice, surprise the hell out of your wife by signing BOTH of you up for a kayak class. First outdoor activity my wife has really been active with in 20 years together. Good luck brother.
Peter

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,570
Posts18,491,864
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.