Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have the DDs on my .300 winny. My pap and I were a little concerned at first because of how they are installed as far as the rings. But they seem to work just fine.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Do you guys know the torque of the action screws?

E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have never seen it quoted in inch pounds and frankly think it would be a waste to do so in an unbedded, unpillared wood stock. That being said, you want the recoil lug screw very tight, the tang screw pretty tight, and the middle screw not tight at all. I only tighten the middle screw until I feel pressure, too much and it is easy to bow the action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck with your M70.
I bought my featherweight.308 in the early 70s and it is still my "go to" rifle when game has to be taken.

Early on, I hand loaded and tried to see how small I could get the groups. My best was 5 shots in 5/8 inch, so I quit playing with it and went hunting with factory 150 grain ammo which gave the same accuracy. That was after I followed the NRA tuning recommendations to get the best accuracy.
They were simple as follows:
1. Take an Arkansas stone to the trigger (no need to replace it). Mine is slick as glass and set at 4 pounds and all my later rifles are also.
2. Float the barrel.
3. Scope it - mine still sports the original M8 4 power scope. Makes a nice, sturdy carry handle too.

There is one other thing I did that was very important - Magnaport it to minimize muzzle jump. This made a big difference on the bench and in the field. For example, early last year, I ambushed a sounder of hogs and made two quick head shots without ever losing sight of the game-off hand with both eyes open, bang bang!. Also an offhand running shot on one passing by.
Tune it and shoot it and you will love it!

[Linked Image]

PS After many years of hard hunting, I did have it re blued and the stock refinished.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I just traded my shotgun finally on a Pre 64 fwt .270. The only thing I’m seeing that I didn’t care for was the bolt handle had been notched out for scope relief I can only guess. I’ll post pics in a few. The guy gave me an old Bausch&Lomb scope and 4 boxes of old ammo. I’m hoping I get to shoot it within the next week or so. I may have some questions in the near future for you guys and thank you to BSA for looking at it for me.

Kyle

Whoever ground that bolt handle should be publicly horsewhipped but it can be fixed. The dumbest thing I have seen is holes in the action for a side mount when the top receiver ring and rear bridge are factory drilled and tapped. Some people can't leave anything alone. You did good Sir.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
We just removed the barreled action from the.(why I was curious about torque requirements). Seen where the barrel is touching the stock. Eventually I’ll get around to sanding it, my pap says he has some kind of oil to put on it afterwards. Might have Dugan Custom Gun Works Fix the bolt handle. My pap has convinced me to stick with the original stock. That is until I can’t wait anymore lol. Anybody know where I can get a better pre fit recoil pad. Maybe half thickness of the decelerator. Red is a plus

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Might as well have Dugan's fit you a recoil pad as well as there is no pre-fit option.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Anybody know where I can get a better pre fit recoil pad. Maybe half thickness of the decelerator. Red is a plus

Try this....

https://pre64win.com/collections/the-custom-shop/products/reproduction-winchester-recoil-pad

Kansan

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hubba hubba

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Congrats Kyle on a good looking shooter and one of the best hunting rifles produced.
Many 270 FWT's were hunted hard, so use this as it was intended.

If were mine, I'd simply clean up the scallop in bolt handle rather than tig it, as either way its a post-factory mod, so may as well be functional.

Contrary to another's view, personally, I would never port a pre64 barrel, but that's me.

Good hunting !

Last edited by Cattledog; 02/25/19.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Have any of you tried this peep sight? I like how compact and simple it looks. https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-wgrs-70/

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like the nostalgia and simple design of a peep, and have used them on bolt and lever guns with success. When headed for timber, I remove the insert, and only use the ghost ring.

Last edited by Cattledog; 02/27/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

The Lyman 48WJS is the gold standard for M70 receiver sights.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The use of that Williams sight will prevent scope use. Use a different style Williams or a Lyman 48WJS, 57WJS, or Redfield 70 sight that use the peep sight holes on the left rear of the receiver. You will be able to use a QD one piece base; some grinding on the base may be necessary for clearance but most likely not.

Last edited by sbrmike; 02/27/19.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The peep would come off when I get the scope mounted

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
As I’m learning, what is the benefit of Williams bottom metal? And I was wrong, my .300 has the STD mounts.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Also. Does anybody have a McMillan Hunters EDGE they’d be willing to sell in a few months?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Could somebody inform me of what my bedding options are. The stock is rubbing the barrel in a few places but I heard it could be trouble if I sand it to free float the barrel but not bed the action, is this true?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
I'd shoot it first:
One - Some pre '64's are pretty accurate just the way they are.
Two - Unless you shoot it first, you won't know if or how much any changes improved it.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GunDoc is right. Just shoot it and see what it does. If for no other reason, you have a baseline to start from. I've seen some bone stock pre 64's shoot pretty dang good though. Good suggestion on just shooting it and seeing how it does...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.