Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Depends on the barrel quality. My hunting barrels may get cleaned twice in their life span. For me, one of those two is prior to its first load development. I patch clean only. Never use a wire brush.

Many qualified people say that. However, many well qualified people* have said otherwise.

*Dan Lilja, Billy Stevens, Clay Spencer, Dwight Scott for examples

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill_N

I have enough bore cleaner/solvents already to last a lifetime.

I used to have this problem and found leaving excess stuff at the range with a note that says “free” makes it all go away...

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore

I have enough bore cleaner/solvents already to last a lifetime.

I used to have this problem and found leaving excess stuff at the range with a note that says “free” makes it all go away...

Lmao! 👍......Hb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the advice! Most of the stuff I inherited from my father in law who always had 3 of everything

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How often - never anymore since I tested leaving a barrel alone .
I do what I call cleaning maintenance , clean out some carbon - wet patch the copper 2-3 strokes - pass plastic brush 2-3 times- patch dry done . I could get ten more blue copper patches - but don't -- just a little maintenance . Doesn't change poi that my accuracy can tell .
Brushes don't hurt barrels - pulling brushes into the barrel from the crown doesn't hurt the crown . Fast rough work of brushes might hurt something but I don't handle them like that

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the advice! Most of the stuff I inherited from my father in law who always had 3 of everything

Works with random ammo for guns that went up the river too. I know I had Hoppes #9 from high school....30+ years ago.

I had a pile of random shotgun ammo that I decided to “shoot through” on the 5 stand range. Ooof.....a 7/8 target load followed by 1-1/4 pheasant load will wake you up a little.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Once a year in the middle of winter I'll give my rifles a thorough cleaning. The rest of the year all they get is cleaned with Patch Out when groups open up a little.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The only firearms I have really scrubbed have been milsurp and corrosive ammo.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Judman
I never clean barrels, unless they need it. They should tell ya.

That right there.

Last time I took mine down to bare steel was when I applied ultra bore coat.

Hint. laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by armedferret
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Beware that Wipeout leaves a coating if you don't wipe it out. Not a problem except when it foams up into the gas tube on an AR.

That's why you don't use the foaming version in an AR. You use Wipe-Out Tactical Advantage. The foaming stuff is great for bolt guns and AKs.

I keep a can of compressed air "Duster" and just give a shot of air down the gas tube after I run first patch down bore. Probably cleans out gas tube also. Never had a problem, use Wipeout all the time in my ARs.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I clean mine first with Montana Extreme bore solvent with eight or ten soaked patches, two or three dry patches, then Wipe Out foam left for at least 6 hrs. (sometimes eight or ten). Then dry patches until it is dry. At this point, the bore is usually down to bare metal or as close as it needs to be. How often? The rifle tells me!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Depends on the barrel quality. My hunting barrels may get cleaned twice in their life span. For me, one of those two is prior to its first load development. I patch clean only. Never use a wire brush.

Many qualified people say that. However, many well qualified people* have said otherwise.

*Dan Lilja, Billy Stevens, Clay Spencer, Dwight Scott for examples

I’m not discounting yours or theirs opinion. My Lilja barrel is my favorite. I would never run a wire brush thru it. Those custom barrels have mirror polished bores. They don’t get that way from a wire brush.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I see some references to "wire brushes" what is meant by that? A steel brush or a brass brush? Do folks really think a brass brush will hurt barrel steel? I would bet ammonia cleaners will cause more issues than a brass brush.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bronze brushes are harmless.
I've even been known to use 0000 steel wool.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Quak
Stupid question I know as each barrel is different. Im just curious as to how often everyone takes it back down to the wood so to speak.

I know I know when the accuracy falls off. Just curious as to when it happens for everyone. Ive got a near shot out 270 that seems to go a long long time before it's needed. Almost 100 rounds or so!

I once had a 7mm-08 that had to be cleaned every 15 rounds!

Only once per rifle and that when new...in order to lay moly down.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
I use kroil and and jb ore paste when I go down to the bare steel and verify results with a bore scope. Jb is the only thing I’ve found that works every time quickly.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I’m in the let barrel decide camp as well

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JB/Kroil is the move,to establish a PRISTINE bore and all that I use anymore....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kroil/GMTEC 50/50. Brush two passes. 3 wet patches and maybe one of JB, Patch it out. Takes 4-5 minutes
Shoot mainly moly in great barrels so copper is not a concern

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barrel makers love people that are obsessed with keeping the copper scrubbed out of a barrel. Run a few patches to clean the carbon at the end of the season if you want, but there is no reason to scrub the copper out of a barrel very often. The bullet essentially rides on a layer of copper, thus slowing the damage to a barrel. My barrels get a couple patches of Amsoil MP and then a dry patch or two at the end of the season, just for protection, but unless I think that I am having issues with excess copper, I do not mess with it.

A friend of mine is a police sniper. He brought out a new rifle to break in here on my range. I was laughing at him with his stupid break in routine. I told him to just shoot the damn thing! He did not believe me and called a guy he knew that worked at Rock Creek(?) barrels. He told him the same thing. He has never done that again.. LOL

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sid, I was kinda hoping that you were a “clean freak”! I was gonna say, next time your here, I’ll have a pile of rifles and handguns that haven’t been cleaned in years! grin Give me a week or so advanced notice of your visit....I’ll need to look for my cleaning stuff! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.