Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For you guys running bino harness’s how are you carrying your rifle ?
I don’t seem very efficient at managing pack straps , bino straps , and rifle slings !

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the FHF gear bino pack. Its is smaller than most and has a couple of small accessory do dads.

I've used various harnesses through the years and find the harnesses without some form of weather protection pretty useless. I've used various bino/harness combinations with a flap for objective end. Various people make a bino cover, Horn Hunter comes to mind, but the only one I found that worked well is the Cabelas version. Of course it is discontinued and mine was 'donated' a few years back.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Outdoor Vision Rigetop looks promising . Anyone have any experience with it

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kuiu for me. It won't interfere.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've been using the FHF gear bino pack. Its is smaller than most and has a couple of small accessory do dads.

I've used various harnesses through the years and find the harnesses without some form of weather protection pretty useless. I've used various bino/harness combinations with a flap for objective end. Various people make a bino cover, Horn Hunter comes to mind, but the only one I found that worked well is the Cabelas version. Of course it is discontinued and mine was 'donated' a few years back.

I’ve been looking at these also.
Couple of questions. The tether buckles look to be up on the shoulders. Looks like they could interfere with backpack straps ?
What is the inside lining ?. Soft enough to not run lens caps ?

Last edited by Stilllearning; 03/09/19.
IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick Young

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is probably about as much agreement over ways to carry a bino as there is glass & cartridges...

fwiw

Crooked Horn & caps or some retailer's re-badge version and the rifle in hand unless climbing or glassing--then it's a shoulder strap or strapped to the pack. Sometimes a horse will do it.

Never had an issue with fumbling over straps or them interfering with one another.

Defend the Constitution
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If I have a pack, the rifle is mounted the pack, or in hand. My slings pretty much collect dust these days. Never had any issues with my packs and my AGC or FHF bino harnesses playing well with each other.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CWT
Rick Young

Just received mine. I will field test it next month in South Africa. It looks very promising.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Originally Posted by bwinters

I’ve been looking at these also.
Couple of questions. The tether buckles look to be up on the shoulders. Looks like they could interfere with backpack straps ?
What is the inside lining ?. Soft enough to not run lens caps ?

I used to think bino harnesses were gayer than a rainbow flag sticking out of Obama's ass, but I got tired of my alpha binos bouncing up and down on rocks like granny boobs when crawling around, so I waved the white flag and tried one. I didn't realize how much strain the weight of full sized binos puts on your neck when using a standard neck strap. Once I used a harness to distribute the weight on my shoulders and chest, the "niceness" became apparent quickly.

I am now a firm believer in the FHF harness, and it in no way gets tangled up or interferes with my backpack shoulder straps. If you find that it does, it is possible (depending on your pack) to integrate the bino harness into your backpack straps. I think Huntsman has done that. You may want to ask him.

The lining is soft and won't scratch lenses. I would be shocked if any company didn't take that into consideration when designing their harness and deciding which lining to use.
The AGC is very well made, but too bulky for me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the rick young for lighter weight binoculars, currently using a sitka harness with my RF binoculars.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a Badlands bino case/straps and the Rick Young straps.

The Rick Young is super light, surprisingly comfortable, and easy to adjust. No weather protection at all, but I just zip up my jacket to cover in rain or snow. Great for light to medium weight binos.

The Badlands case covers and protects the binos completely, and with a magnetic closure, it is quiet to deploy. It's very comfortable for the heaviest of binoculars, but bulky. It has room for your hunting license and a lens pen.

Unless I'm going to be in very bad weather, I take the Rick Young. To stay warm in a cold wind, I have to wear my jacket, and for me, the straps have to go over my shirt and under the jacket - I don't like having to remove the straps just to take my jacket off. That means zipping up the jacket over the Badlands bino case, which is just too bulky for me, especially when getting in and out of the truck to move to a new area.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When climbing using all fours or just bending over, the harness will keep a bino from swinging forward and smacking you in the face, like they tend to do carried birdie style.. Too, if you take a fall using a harness you won't have a rope around your neck to catch on something on the way down. Sure, that may slow yer descent, but it isn't recommended...

Sh*t happens--even to the best of us...:)

Defend the Constitution
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm very happy with the marsupial gear rig.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have kuiu and have been very happy with it. Would like to try FHF but can’t see a reason to switch or spend the money when the ones I have work great

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the ACG’s and like everything about them. Had the Badlands previously and they currently hold the wife’s binos

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use AGC chest packs with both my Ultravids and Geovids (two different sizes).

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AGC or S4 for the binos and a Kifaru Gun Bearer for the rifle.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For hunting purposes I use the S4 and like the simplicity of the design. When I am on the Atv, SxS or in the pickup I have them in a Badlands case. Both work very well.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
AGC and Rick Young.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.