Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If I had the money,I would be going to South Africa tomorrow.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pete53
after this last big storm and the native problems i see no reason for me now to ever go to Africa now ? i was really hoping to go to Africa since i have now retired,now i have the time and the money but i don`t need these problems either,or be sent back in a pine box either !

A. Avoid flying through Joburg.

B. Hunt in Namibia or Zambia. Both are politically stable and have more wild spaces and a better hunting experience than RSA.

Go. Hunt. Have fun.

The last thing I want on my headstone is "Here lies McCray...he would have done a lot of [bleep], but was afraid!" Lol!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Visiting is fine. Do not know about living there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
If I had the money,I would be going to South Africa tomorrow.

i plan on Alaska this year and Montana some

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
When I get the money,I want to hunt Cape buffalo,eland,bush pig and bushbuck.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe in 2017 just as the Mugabe "outster' was starting. A trip into Vic Falls for supplies found no butter, cooking oil, etc. No US dollars either. In the end, it was a great hunt. Forward to 2019 with a buffalo, roan, etc., hunt in Burkino Faso I booked in 2017. I received an email from my booking agent late 2018 that they were shutting down hunting due to Jihadist moving that way. I requested a refund of my deposit and a couple of months later received another email learning that the camp I was to stay in was burned and destroyed. Certainly there is geopolitical risk hunting hunting there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
I was hunting buffalo in Zimbabwe in 2017 just as the Mugabe "outster' was starting. A trip into Vic Falls for supplies found no butter, cooking oil, etc. No US dollars either. In the end, it was a great hunt. Forward to 2019 with a buffalo, roan, etc., hunt in Burkino Faso I booked in 2017. I received an email from my booking agent late 2018 that they were shutting down hunting due to Jihadist moving that way. I requested a refund of my deposit and a couple of months later received another email learning that the camp I was to stay in was burned and destroyed. Certainly there is geopolitical risk hunting hunting there.

I hear you Ed...I was in Namibia in 1987 when they were " struggling for independence..." and Mandelas ANC blew up my car and my motel....Fast forward to 2000 and I was in Zim when Mugabe sent his boy out with notice that they were seizing the land we were on....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cancelled a buffalo hunt in Zim a few years ago during one of Mugabe's "elections," because the PH was worried about getting in/out, plus supplies. As it turned out, nothing much happened over there, but the PH was not exactly terrified. Instead he was a realist, having been born and raised in what was then Rhodesia, and being a Selous Scout during the war. Not long afterward he also worked 18 months in the Mideast for the U.S. as an "advisor," mostly for the money to buy a brand-new Land Cruiser for his safari work.

About that time he moved to South Africa, where his family originally settled in the early 1800's, but still guided in Zim. Hunted with him in RSA a couple of times, once on a ranch for Cape kudu, where the owner and ranch foreman were murdered a year or so later by local natives. He gave up PH'ing in Zim after his Land Rover was stolen from inside the walled compound where he stayed in Harare, obviously an inside job. No long afterward he retired to England, where his wife (born in Malawi) also held citizenshop, and his son was working as a gunsmith for some top-notch companies.

Yes, I would go back to Africa again, but have seen some interesting stuff, though not quite like as Ingwe's bombing. It's not like going to Alaska, Canada, South America or Europe--though the last time I hunted in Europe (Finland) in 2015, the big terrorist attack occurred in France, where over 100 people were killed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by McCray
Originally Posted by pete53
after this last big storm and the native problems i see no reason for me now to ever go to Africa now ? i was really hoping to go to Africa since i have now retired,now i have the time and the money but i don`t need these problems either,or be sent back in a pine box either !

A. Avoid flying through Joburg.

B. Hunt in Namibia or Zambia. Both are politically stable and have more wild spaces and a better hunting experience than RSA.

Go. Hunt. Have fun.

The last thing I want on my headstone is "Here lies McCray...he would have done a lot of [bleep], but was afraid!" Lol!

I am not sure I will ever make it back, but in my opinion, this is good advice.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Africa is Africa. It ain't the USA. Whites are the minority, even if in South Africa they are the economic drivers. Nothing wrong with flying through Johannesburg. Hire a service like Air 2000 Hunter's Support. Smooths out any potential problems.

OR Tambo is a nicer airport than many in North America, at least in the international departures area.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by EdM

I hear you Ed...I was in Namibia in 1987 when they were " struggling for independence..." and Mandelas ANC blew up my car and my motel....Fast forward to 2000 and I was in Zim when Mugabe sent his boy out with notice that they were seizing the land we were on....

Well, damn.

Maybe as a service you could let folks know ahead of time when you're going to be someplace---at least in Africa. That way they can plan not to be there.

Just yankin your chain!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The whole of South Africa cannot be judged differently than the whole of America.

There are locations in the USA nobody is safe to walk around and there are beautiful locations with no chance of danger.

There are areas that enforce the laws and protect the citizens, and there are areas where illegal criminals are protected by the government.

There are places with absurd gun laws and places with almost limitless firearm freedom.

In RSA, there are places that are comfortable and safe ( for now) and there are places you should never go ( just like the USA). I have no doubt this sign could be a real existing billboard. Probably in a 90% black area trying to push out those last remaining White people in that region.

I have seen plenty of signs and graffiti across the whole of southern Africa that are very suggestive of this. It's not a new situation.

The real crime is that anyone without skills can walk into the USA from the southern boarder safe and go onto several different social programs and welfare. But a quality educated skilled South African Family cannot get into the USA quick or easy. The wealth they enjoyed for decades as productive farmers is gone. The land values are nothing and nobody is investing in equipment, homes, etc. The white people by and large have lost all the equity and value in their homes and property now. The best engineers, doctors, and dentists, and other medical professionals have moved to other countries that welcome them for the skills they bring.

This leaves RSA with a very gloomy medical future, especially for those older white folks that cannot financially leave and have been stripped of generations of family farming wealth to survive old age.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
The whole of South Africa cannot be judged differently than the whole of America.

There are locations in the USA nobody is safe to walk around and there are beautiful locations with no chance of danger.

There are areas that enforce the laws and protect the citizens, and there are areas where illegal criminals are protected by the government.

There are places with absurd gun laws and places with almost limitless firearm freedom.

In RSA, there are places that are comfortable and safe ( for now) and there are places you should never go ( just like the USA). I have no doubt this sign could be a real existing billboard. Probably in a 90% black area trying to push out those last remaining White people in that region.

I have seen plenty of signs and graffiti across the whole of southern Africa that are very suggestive of this. It's not a new situation.

The real crime is that anyone without skills can walk into the USA from the southern boarder safe and go onto several different social programs and welfare. But a quality educated skilled South African Family cannot get into the USA quick or easy. The wealth they enjoyed for decades as productive farmers is gone. The land values are nothing and nobody is investing in equipment, homes, etc. The white people by and large have lost all the equity and value in their homes and property now. The best engineers, doctors, and dentists, and other medical professionals have moved to other countries that welcome them for the skills they bring.

This leaves RSA with a very gloomy medical future, especially for those older white folks that cannot financially leave and have been stripped of generations of family farming wealth to survive old age.

So, I am guessing the no go areas common to both are infested with angry blacks...bit like parts of Melbourne.

Funny that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Looks like Detroit

But I bet the hunting is better

Last edited by Quak; 03/25/19.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by JJHACK

So, I am guessing the no go areas common to both are infested with angry blacks...bit like parts of Melbourne.

Funny that.

Blacks are the “secret ingredient” so to speak. Country doesn’t matter

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am not sure what the situation is in SA today but My wife and I went thru J-burg in 2011, going to hunt and coming home. We saw armed military both times in the airport & not just 1 or 2 but dozens, 3-5 at a time. Some of you say the US is just as bad but I don't remember seeing armed military in any of the airports I have ever been thru in the US.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
The US is obviously not as bad as Africa

Except where the Africans be

GOD Bless America
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Africa is a vast continent with many countries, differing environmental stresses, and political conditions varying from place-to-place. I've made two trips, one to S.A. and another to Namibia. Northern South Africa (Jburg and Durbin) can be really hairy... you can get knifed for your shoes. Cape Town is heaven by comparison with restaurant districts, seaside walks, wineries in the hills. I'd return to Namibia in a second. German-built infrastructure (good roads, safe tap water), a stable government, and fabulous hunting in the Kalahari on farms still owned by whites. It is the country white Africans move to if they leave other parts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grouse chaser; for now

That statement was identical 25 years ago regarding zimbabwe and RSA. There is already unrest brewing in Namibia its the rumble before the roar exactly as it happened in RSA

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read about the rolling blackouts going on now?

Seems the bad guys quickly figured out that alarms don't work when the electricity is off, so when the blackouts come the looting starts. No cameras, no alarms, no electric fences, no problems.... ;(

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.