Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

Might be interesting to see which way the winds blow regarding legal and civil defense issues of constitutional carry after a non CCDW holder shoots someone claiming self defense.

That is the concern I have about it. Now, I'll start this out by saying that people have been carrying concealed forever, back before there were such things as concealed carry permits, or licensed carry. I know, because I did. But, I grew up handling guns, and think I know a little about gun safety. I do worry about those people who go out and buy a gun, people who never been around firearms, and know nothing about the safety aspect of handling a gun.....and you can bet your azz there are such people.

We don't hire a cop one day, and then issue him a gun and a badge the next day, and put him on the street. We don't sign a guy up in the military one day, and then give him a gun and send him off the war the next day. We give those people training on how to use that weapon, and maybe even more importantly, especially in the case of the police, WHEN to use it. Yet, constitutional carry allows people to go around packing, who have never had one minutes worth of training as to when it's legal to use their gun.

I do support constitutional carry, but I also support making it mandatory for someone to undergo some training, that would give them some idea about what the law says about their right to legally shoot someone. I don't think that's asking too much.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I do support constitutional carry, but I also support making it mandatory for someone to undergo some training, that would give them some idea about what the law says about their right to legally shoot someone. I don't think that's asking too much.
Then you actually DON'T support Constitutional Carry or the Constitution as the Founders wrote and intended it. You support some sort of illegal system mandating training, which costs SOMEBODY money. If the legislators write the law to make training free, somebody still has to pay for it-even if whoever is doing the training donates their time. That means the trainers are essentially paying for it. If you don't like CC you should just move north or east a ways to a state where you'll be in your safe space and not have to deal with all these white trash rednecks that are going to shoot up all the good Democrats. Seriously, check your head.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

That is the concern I have about it. Now, I'll start this out by saying that people have been carrying concealed forever, back before there were such things as concealed carry permits, or licensed carry. I know, because I did. But, I grew up handling guns, and think I know a little about gun safety. I do worry about those people who go out and buy a gun, people who never been around firearms, and know nothing about the safety aspect of handling a gun.....and you can bet your azz there are such people.

We don't hire a cop one day, and then issue him a gun and a badge the next day, and put him on the street. We don't sign a guy up in the military one day, and then give him a gun and send him off the war the next day. We give those people training on how to use that weapon, and maybe even more importantly, especially in the case of the police, WHEN to use it. Yet, constitutional carry allows people to go around packing, who have never had one minutes worth of training as to when it's legal to use their gun.

Kentucky still has Constables, who are elected peace officers with arrest powers and the full weight and authority of law, in all 120 counties. Absolutely zero LEO training required for that position - all they have to do is win a local election.

If we in KY can give some nobody arrest powers and peace officer authority with no LEO training, then the rest of us nobodies ought to be able to handle concealed carry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124

Kentucky still has Constables, who are elected peace officers with arrest powers and the full weight and authority of law, in all 120 counties. Absolutely zero LEO training required for that position - all they have to do is win a local election.

If we in KY can give some nobody arrest powers and peace officer authority with no LEO training, then the rest of us nobodies ought to be able to handle concealed carry.

You're right about the constables, which is a position that should have been done away with years ago. Most that I've known were some idiot that liked to play "I wanna be a cop when I grow up."

Like I said, I have mixed feelings on it, as I still believe someone needs to undergo some sort of training as to what's legal and what's not......and that would include constables as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You're right about the constables, which is a position that should have been done away with years ago. Most that I've known were some idiot that liked to play "I wanna be a cop when I grow up."

Like I said, I have mixed feelings on it, as I still believe someone needs to undergo some sort of training as to what's legal and what's not......and that would include constables as well.
Again, you may as well say you don't support the Constitution.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With Rights come Responsibilities.

Whoever carries has a responsibility to themselves.

As far as the POS chief, he needs to have a class for his LEO's on how to interact with legally armed citizens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tdd4570
With Rights come Responsibilities.

Whoever carries has a responsibility to themselves.

The failure of previous generations to accept these facts and demand that the laws or lack thereof, reflect them, is what has gotten us to where we are today with all the illegal laws being enforced against us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You can see it any way you want to, but that's not how I'm looking at it. I've been hunting for over 60 years, yet the state of Kentucky tells me that if I want to hunt on certain state and federal lands here, that I must take and pass a hunter safety course. Yet, they say that some 21 year old person that has never handled a gun before, can walk around in public carrying one......even if they don't know how to us it, or when it's legally to do so.....but that same 21 year old cannot go hunting unless they have taken a safety course. I just find that somewhat contradictory, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution......except to narrow minded people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You can see it any way you want to, but that's not how I'm looking at it. I've been hunting for over 60 years, yet the state of Kentucky tells me that if I want to hunt on certain state and federal lands here, that I must take and pass a hunter safety course. Yet, they say that some 21 year old person that has never handled a gun before, can walk around in public carrying one......even if they don't know how to us it, or when it's legally to do so.....but that same 21 year old cannot go hunting unless they have taken a safety course. I just find that somewhat contradictory, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution......except to narrow minded people.
If wanting to follow the Constitution strictly is narrow minded then I'm narrow minded. Following it liberally as you are advocating, is what has lead us down the road to tyranny already. You probably think Red Flag laws are okie-dokey too. The Constitution says nothing about your "right" to hunt. It says everything about your right to protect yourself and ultimately have the means to overthrow a tyrannical government. What amount of infringement is okay? What amount of training is okay? Guns are dangerous, so is seven hours really enough? Maybe with your way of thinking, seven hours incrementally. Seven hourse to carry a flintlock horse pistol then another seven to carry a Contender. On and on. What do you need to have an AR for anyway?

It has everything to do with the Constitution and you don't support that document.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What is more dangerous ultimately, a gun or an idea? Ultimately ideas are more dangerous so it is logical to assume that if you need training to carry a gun you should be required to have training to express ideas and that training should include only expressing ideas that are accepatable...call them...what? Let's say, "Politically Correct" or "PC". Only PC ideas are acceptable and all shall be indoctrinated, I mean "trained" to express only those ideas. After all, if you have to have training in order to defend yourself then you should have to have training before you go spewing ideas. You might advocate for the KKK or something...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So let's say some woman is suddenly being stalked by a co-worker who she doesn't want to have anything to do with but who does want to have something to do with her. Should she be required to take a seven hour course in order to pick up a gun in her own house to defend herself? If not, then what should she do if she wants to go outside, say to work? Leave the gun at home because she lacks the training?

The bottom line is that training requires documentation, let's say a CCW. That costs money and requires bureaucracy. The Constitution says "the right to keep and BEAR arms" and says nothing about "with training" or "with permission of the government" or "with the appropriate license after all taxes, fees, etc. are paid".

The founders were a lot smarter than you. Take note.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The point that I'm trying to make has absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution. If Kentucky says it's alright to carry without a permit, then that's their right to do so. So, that means that it's okay for anyone without any training about safety or the law, to walk around armed. However, at the same time, they're telling those same residents that they can't use a firearm for hunting, unless they have passed a safety course. To me, that doesn't make sense........and yeah, our hunting license does tell us that hunting is a privilege and not a right.

Now, I'm not going to knock the hunter safety courses, as they're a good thing for beginning hunters to take, especially those who may not have had a parent to teach them gun safety. AND......I am a firm believer in personal responsibility, which means that it ultimately falls upon the shoulders of the person themselves, to make sure they are aware and familiar with all the aspects of safety and the law. AND....I am also a firm believer in punishing them if they don't.

Which brings us back to the subject at hand, constitutional carry, something I see as a little of a Catch-22 situation. On one hand you tell someone that they don't have to have any training to carry that gun, that's it's their right under the Constitution to do so, even if they have to shoot another person. Okay....I agree. Then, on the other hand, you tell them that if they want to go hunting with that gun and shoot a deer, then they must have training. To me, that sounds like a deer is more important than a person.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And you too.......something I figured out a long time ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

And you too.......something I figured out a long time ago.
Yes they were, but I'm still a lot smarter than you. You should've tucked your tail because this is an argument you'll never win. There is simply no Constitutional basis for what you want and that's the end of the story right there. You said it has nothing to with the Constitution, and you're right. That's it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The point that I'm trying to make has absolutely nothing to do with the Constitution. If Kentucky says it's alright to carry without a permit, then that's their right to do so. So, that means that it's okay for anyone without any training about safety or the law, to walk around armed. However, at the same time, they're telling those same residents that they can't use a firearm for hunting, unless they have passed a safety course. To me, that doesn't make sense........and yeah, our hunting license does tell us that hunting is a privilege and not a right.

You still are too slow to understand. Kentucky can say anything they want. They infringed the 2nd Amendment when they made laws against it. All this is is un-infringement. The Constitution doesn't give anybody anything. The Founders themselves tell you it simply recognizes rights existent in nature. If the Federal government can't bestow it, how can the state of Kentucky? If the state can't "grant" you the right, then they have no right telling you what to do. The government's only power on this relies on tyranny. Your state government backed off on an already tyrannical stance. Then its essentially saying that it had the power to infringe but decided not to anymore. lmao.

Of course it's okay to walk around armed. Is training good? Certainly. More training is even better. It's just not "required". Self defense is a right and the gun is a means to that end. A good means.

If you think hunting should be a right then by all means try to get the state and country to amend their constitutions to recognize it.

Now, I'm not going to knock the hunter safety courses, as they're a good thing for beginning hunters to take, especially those who may not have had a parent to teach them gun safety. AND......I am a firm believer in personal responsibility, which means that it ultimately falls upon the shoulders of the person themselves, to make sure they are aware and familiar with all the aspects of safety and the law. AND....I am also a firm believer in punishing them if they don't.

Which brings us back to the subject at hand, constitutional carry, something I see as a little of a Catch-22 situation. On one hand you tell someone that they don't have to have any training to carry that gun, that's it's their right under the Constitution to do so, even if they have to shoot another person. Okay....I agree. Then, on the other hand, you tell them that if they want to go hunting with that gun and shoot a deer, then they must have training. To me, that sounds like a deer is more important than a person.

In any sane state of the union, if a deer attacks you and you shoot it in self-defense then I'm sure you'll be acquitted in the criminal trial. The deer's relatives may have friends on the jury in the civil trial and you may have to take out a second mortgage though. Look what happened to poor OJ.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.