Print Thread
Hop To
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Recknagel scope rings are not very popular in the U.S. because they are not widely available there. I believe Euro Optics sells them and possibly a couple other U.S. merchants can order them. I live in Romania and buy mine from Optics Trade in Slovenia. They are an excellent company to do business with. Don't be afraid to order from them.
Now, the rings.
Recknagel scope rings are the finest scope rings I have used in my 50 years of hunting and shooting. Their Tactical rings fit Picitinny and Weaver type bases. The only Weaver bases that they will not fit are the old Weaver bases with round bottom cross slots. I mostly use Warne steel bases which have .150" wide cross slots. The cross bolt of these rings measures about .148", a very good fit. These rings are made from 7075 series aluminum, hard anodized and have hardened steel cross bolts and base clamp. The cross bolt and clamping force runs through the base cross slot, which I prefer for more clamping force with less torque as apposed to a ring with the clamping screws above the base like Seekins and others. That method is fine, I just prefer the cross bolt, especially on heavy recoiling rifles and rifles with heavy scopes. I believe zero repeatability is better with the cross bolt design. The ring alignment on these rings with the alignment bars has been consistently better than on any other rings I have used. They absolutely reak of quality. They are not cheap. Price is 149 Euro per set, which is $173.35
I will post some pictures and more details about the rings in my next post. RJ

GB1

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The pics
[Linked Image]
The Recknagel Tactical rings are available in 6mm (.234"), 9.5mm (.373), 14mm (.550"), and 22mm (.864") heights and scope sizes 1", 30mm, 34mm, and 36mm. You can get QD levers or triangular cross bolt nuts. The triangular nut at least looks less industrial than a hex nut and they include a vert nice machined aluminum wrench with every set of scope rings. The rings with levers cost 10 Euro more. I buy only the triangular nut version.
[Linked Image]photo url
[Linked Image]
Front and back surfaces of the cross bolts are flat.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I like the spring loaded clamping piece. It makes for easier installation and removal.
[Linked Image]
With a wrench encluded with every set of rings, I decided to cut one down to keep in my pack when hunting. I always carry an XS ap sight if needed.
[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/pe3238bhh/IMG_2346.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/ai4ivpko5/IMG_2353.jpg[/img]
I recently mounted a Meopta Meopro 3.5x10RD on my 30-06 X-Bolt. I used the 9.5mm 1" Recknagels. Cheek weld/cross reticle alignment is perfect.
[img]https://s8.postimg.cc/ddhm27lzp/IMG_2350.jpg[/img]
My X-Bolt came sightless. I installed a reprofiled Ruger front sight base. I like the quick front sight change option. RJ

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I recently mounted a Meopta Meopro 3.5x10RD on my 30-06 X-Bolt. I used the 9.5mm 1" Recknagels. Cheek weld/cross reticle alignment is perfect.
[Linked Image]
My X-Bolt came sightless. I installed a reprofiled Ruger front sight base. I like the quick front sight change option. RJ

B
B
I was planning to order this rings..how can i torque the main bolt on rings

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the triangular nut is a bad idea......

IC B2

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
bjay, do you mean what wrench to use? If you insist on using a torque wrench to torque the cross bolts, then these probably are not the scope rings for you. RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or any time you need to loosen/tighten them and can't find their special tool.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
the triangular nut is a bad idea......

I am with you on that. I have some Recknagel mounts and like them, but requiring a special tool is silly.

ILya

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I somewhat agree with you guys on this point, however regardless of the triangle nut, the rings checked a lot of boxes for me. I utilize nine sets of them on my rifles. You get a wrench with every set of rings. So I have wrenches coming out the wazoo. I keep one in my pocket when hunting, one in my pack, one in the glove box of my truck and so on and so forth. RJ

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bjay
I was planning to order this rings..how can i torque the main bolt on rings

Bjay, you got me thinking, It is a good idea to torque the cross bolts to help insure RTZ, so I took 15 minutes and cobbled together this little tool. Works fine.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you have hex nuts on your Pic rings and lose or cannot find the correct size wrench, you're screwed to the same extent as having a tri-nut and no wrench. Also, a common pliers will grip a tri-nut easier than it will a hex nut. So, triangular nut? Hey, I'm all in!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rj, the main thing I took away from your post is how nifty that front sight looks on your rifle. Irons are rapidly becoming a thing of the past on bolt guns here, despite their virtues. The alternative seems to be a reflex sight carried as a spare. If you did the actual work on that Ruger sight, congratulations on your skill. If someone else did it, congrats on thinking of it.

I have to agree with those who find the triangle head on the rings to be an unnecessary complication. It does look nice, but so would some other styles as well. I think I can do better price wise too. The Burris signature rings are only $100, and have the handy inserts that let you tweak POI if needed, and protect the scope tube to boot. The Recknagels are trim and handsome, not too tactical in appearance for a trim sporter.

Nice job on the wrench too.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They don't seem to accomplish anything that any of a myriad of other quality rings do, with the added weird hardware nonsense.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pappy, I hear you on the price. I sure do miss the competitive pricing on gun stuff in the U.S.A. I did the Ruger front sight work myself, It really was not that difficult. Usually the hardest part is finding the right size Ruger front sight base I need. I installed them on my Winchester Featherweights too, but toned down the Ruger styling a bit. I have irons on all of my driven game rifles. We rarely ever get a shot over 60 yards and I hunt in nasty weather more times than not. Irons are great for that. If you get one drop of rain or a spec of ice or snow on that reflex sight diode path and it's no good to you. I do use red dots, but only the tube type. RJ
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find the tubes easier to get behind. Might be why the running boar guys on tv use them.....

or it could just be that the sponsor, Aimpoint, makes only tubes as far as I know.

Didn't think about the water drop business.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
RJ, Is the triangular nut the same size as the one used on electrical cabinets, hotel windows etc. if so keys are common in industry even here in the U.S.
pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pavementends, I have no knowledge of those triangular nuts that you refer to, but I suppose there is a possibility they could be the same. The Recknagel nuts measure approximately 3/8" across the flats. RJ

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
RJ, That sounds about right. Since I retired I have misplaced my key. When the company I worked for went global I carried a key to fit for the last 10 years. I see you do not need any extras but any European electrical supply shop should have multiple options including some that would fit a nut driver/torque wrench.
Pavementends

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.