Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure how new of a regulation this is, or if it is airline specific.

I'm heading to Africa in August, and have been informed that I need to travel with ammunition carried in a SEPARATE container, that must travel APART from (not inside) my checked baggage. I don't know anything about this new reg, or my choices of containers that I will need.

Can you guys give me some info about this new regulation...and some choices of ammunition carrier/containers that I should buy? I'll be carrying 40-60 rounds of ammunition. Thanks for the help.

Wife says it might be SAA flight requirement.

Last edited by yukonal; 03/13/19.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Al, that's the regs may have changed a bit. I had mine in a separate box, but inside my luggage. You will need a separate ammo box that is locked by using TSA locks only, no masterlocks, etc. I used a Pelican 1200 twice, and an Americase ammo box twice. The reason I recommend a good, sturdy one is that in SA (not sure where you're going from there), you may be required to take the ammo box out and have it shipped separately as a separate piece of luggage. Seems to me it depends on who is checking it over there and how much of a PITA they want to be. Be prepared though. If you live anywhere near a Harbor Freight store, they have their own line of knock off Pelicans called Apache cases. They appear quite sturdy and come in may sizes.

Hope that helps some.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used an "AMMO CRATE", from Academy in October. It was an internal flight in RSA that required it be separate as well as lockable. Listen to JGRaider (always.)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any cheap plastic container that is lockable will work. I put foam padding around the ammo so it doesn't shake.Some hold two boxes of ammo and some hold four. Check the dimensions for you application? Here is one. https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-dry-box-61451.html

Last edited by Slider1; 03/13/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
yukonal,

I have been thru the Joburg airport, on the way to other destinations, several times now, the last in this past August. I was on the way to Capetown via Joburg the last two trips.

I packed my ammo in an MTM Survivor Dry box, with a TSA lock, and my name, address, etc. inked on the outside of the box.
This box went inside my checked luggage, and I declared it with the check-in folks in Denver.

On the return, I boarded a flight (SAA) in Capetown, headed for Joburg, and then on to the USA. In Capetown, both times, I was asked to remove the ammo box from my checked luggage, and check it as a separate item.
Upon landing in Joburg, I picked it up, along with my rifle, and put it back in my checked luggage for the trip to the USA. I was not asked to remove the ammo, or have it checked, again. Went thru customs in Dulles airport, then on to Denver.

In all likelihood, your ammo will travel inside your checked luggage, and only if you are asked to do so will you need to remove it and have it checked as a separate item. I know for a fact that this will occur if you are travelling from Capetown, SA, to Johannesburg.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bighorn is right.

SAA is full of stupid [bleep] ideas.

I use a Pelican 1200 case that matches my guncase but avoid SAA whenever possible.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good info, guys...thanks Bighorn.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Al, that's the regs may have changed a bit. I had mine in a separate box, but inside my luggage. If you live anywhere near a Harbor Freight store, they have their own line of knock off Pelicans called Apache cases. Hope that helps some.

That DOES help, Johnny. I have a Harbor Freight close, and after looking at the Apaches on their site...I see I'll have to run over there and have a look. I think the 2800 will work for ammo. 3800 should hold RFB's, and ammo. I'll see.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We put ours in lockable plastic pistol cases. Checked baggage from the US to Joberg..overnighted in Joberg down to PE. Ammo went seperate..I would suggest you have a couple of US dollars in your pocket to tip the counter people, for a good job, and your ammo will arrive with guns at final destination. We learned quick, went to Africa three times. CHEAP insurance. Same on the way back. Because we were checked through to Dullas on the return, ammo went seperate. I lost mine in Dullas. Was supposedly check to GB, but never arrived. So if you can get the ammo into your checked stuff in the US, do it. A counted person at Dullas would not let me. Airline paid for my ammo cost, I filed a claim, tho my sons ammo did get to GB OK.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
(I would suggest you have a couple of US dollars in your pocket to tip the counter people) It is considered a Bride and if caught YOU GO TO JAIL!!!

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Really? Well I quess we were breaking the law.

But it sure worked...YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is what I made for my upcoming trip to the RSA in April. It is a Pelican 1150 (A 1200 is the next size up and would work better if you were taking two calibers) with the guts of a MTM Deluxe R - 100 - MAG cut to fit.

It will hold 80 300WSM cartridges, although I am only taking 60 for the 12 day hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I would just like to point out why a person should choose a Pelican. I journeyed from Calgary to Amsterdam to Johannesburg to East London and back to Johannesburg with the Pelican in my checked luggage AS ALL THE MAJOR AIRLINES IN 2014 WANTED.

However, in Johannesburg on the way back, when checking in the bags at the KLM/AirFrance Desk, I was told to remove the Pelican from the suitcase which was to be a checked bag. I had to check the Pelican as a separate bag. I wasn't charged for a third checked bag, but I had no confidence I would ever see the small Pelican again. However it made it back to Calgary. As you can see, there is virtually no marks on this case from travelling half way around the world. Would a MTM case have survived the journey? Not sure, but for me, the peace of mind the sturdy Pelican gave me was worth the extra cost and weight over the MTM. (Two small brass colored Master locks were used to secure the case from being opened.)

Last edited by AB2506; 03/14/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The police at Johannesburg actively and routinely ask you to "buy me a cool drink" or "do you have something for me?". Which is yet another reason I avoid SA like the plague.

Folks who haven't or don't fly with guns often don't realize how abusive the baggage handlers are. And not just in Africa.

Edit: And I have never given the SA cops a "tip". My wife is good at kidding them about it and getting them laughing. I just get damned hard of hearing and ignore them!

Last edited by McCray; 03/14/19.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad you mentioned that McCray...was going to, but thought no one would believe me. Three times there, last time was 4 years ago. We had "do you have something for me?" asked going in and out of Africa on each trip. I`d give them the 2 bucks and thank them for a good job.

When your guns and ammo are sitting on the floor just behind the counter waiting to get loaded?, $2 is worth it IMHO. TIA is not quoted for nothing.

BTB, I got three boxes of 8x57 stuff in my used plastic pistol case.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used a Pelican 1150. It's pretty compact but there is plenty of room for ammo and a few other items. As mentioned above, you will need TSA locks

Last edited by TxHunter80; 03/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a collection of gear lists that may prove to be helpful

https://www.atcheson.com/resources/equipment-lists/

Here is the Africa specific list

https://www.atcheson.com/?wpfb_dl=106

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/17/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I started laughing out loud......well played...…...bob

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Lol this should get good now..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

the guy " al " needs to come clean...….if not he is someone that cant be trusted....safari man al.....chickenshcit……...where is his supporters?

he's just a good old boy.....pathetic…….bob

A
A
I flew from US to Jberg via Atlanta in both 2017 and 2018 and took both firearms and ammunition with me both times.

In 2017 ticket agent required I remove ammo box from checked luggage.

In 2018 ticket agent allowed me to keep ammo box in checked luggage-as is standard of fed regulations.
Fed Regs (C.F.R. 175.10 (8) allows ammo to be in checked luggage on US outbound flights, just luck of the draw on how ticket agent handles the situation.

I brought a copy of the CRF with me in 2018, but did not need to give it to the US ticket agent.

In Jberg I had to remove ammo box in 2018 and ship separately.

Both years I had to check ammo box separately for return flight to US, per requirements of Namibia.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.