-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back when I worked summers in the packing house, if a big thick headed cow or bull came back to life after the knocker wouldn't put them out long enough to cut their corotid arteries, a guy with a .22 LR pistol did the deed with a close up shot to the forehead. The meat inspector was right there to condemn the head for possible lead contamination, but it did the job on 1,200 pound cattle. A .22 Mag would be more than enough with a brain shot on a big animal.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Depends on how bad you wanted to kill it . I've put a few deer in the freezer with one . Also seen a lot of beef that was butchered that fell to a 22 mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When was in grad school, I worked on a big ranch down in south Texas. I carried an Anschutz bolt-action rifle chambered in .22 mag as my "truck gun." The management paid $5 for coyote tails and $10 for a bobcat scalp. I made enough extra cash just about very time I was down there to cover my gas back and forth to College Station--and I often had enough left over to buy my wife dinner after I got home. (Gas and restaurant meals were pretty cheap back then. grin)

Last edited by mudhen; 03/16/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've never understood the combination of science and politics behind which gun calibers are allowed and which aren't.

it's a pretty arcane science for sure.

is there a better answer?

i doubt it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I simply shoot it all.

Hint................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You mean you steal em all

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Excellent Accuracy
Hornady claims the new 22 WMR loaded with the 30gr V-MAX™ is “significantly more accurate” than any other 22 WMR ammo they’ve tested. According to Hornady’s Dave Emary, “we started with a better bullet, and the added velocity provides a flatter trajectory.” Even out of old, inexpensive rifles, the new ammo is delivering 1.5 MOA or better groups at 100 yards. That’s exceptional for a 22 WMR according to noted gun writer Chuck Hawks: “I have also owned and used enough .22 WMR rifles to know that they will seldom match that level of performance. I used to have a rather accurate Mossberg bolt action varmint rifle that would consistently shoot into about 1.5″ at 100 yards if I did my part. That is as accurate as any .22 WMR rifle I have ever tested.”New 2200 FPS .22 Mag Rimfire from Hornady

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Every rifle is different. I haven't tried these Hornady. But when I bought my 22 mag. I bought a box of every type of ammo available at the time to try. Mine shoots Fed classic 50 gn hp. Into an enlarged hole at 50 yds. None of the 30 gn loads shot worth using. At a 100 yards the 30s keyholed in the paper if i could hit the paper at all. It also shoots cci 40 gn solids and HP well enough to use to shoot small animals in the head. Or big animals if needed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Ooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]

Is that a .22 mag ?

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i know the 22mag are good for elks and sometimes squirrels

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by kragman1
22 mag is deer legal in Maine? I had no idea and I'm pretty surprised...

The .22 Magnum is specifically allowed, while all other .17 and .22 rimfire cartridges are prohibited.

This is the actual wording:

§11454. Hunting deer with .22 caliber rimfire cartridge
1. Prohibition. A person may not hunt deer with any firearms using a .17 or .22 caliber rimfire cartridge, except that the use of the .22 caliber rimfire magnum cartridge is not prohibited.
[ 2005, c. 477, §12 (AMD) .]

On the old Shooters.com there was a Poster named McBendyElbow who had been a Maine State Legislator when the law was passed. He gave the reasons behind the law which I believe had to do with the fact that the round would kill deer and that many in the rural areas of Maine at the time were too poor to afford a centerfire rifle and the much more expensive cartridges....

I've seen two deer killed by ranch hands down in Texas with .22 Magnum... Probably illegal but that's Texas....

..for me...to actually go hunting, coyote or hogs up close...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The LA Wildlife and Fisheries has basically made that decision for me, if I want to hunt hogs on a Wildlife Management Area. The regs do not establish a specific season for hogs but rather mandate the use of whatever firearms/calibers are legal for the game that is in season. Now, I have a WMA about 10 minutes from my home but I refuse to hunt deer there for 2 reasons: I have access to 100 acres of private property I can hunt free of charge and too many city folk using the WMA for deer hunting and shooting at anything that moves. Since the WMA near my home is loaded with hogs, I can hunt them for just over 2 months after deer season ends but only with a rimfire or shotgun (no buckshot allowed), since that is as long as the rabbit/squirrel season lasts. I recently purchased a CZ 512 22 Magnum semi-auto Carbine that is hunting accurate with any ammo I've thus tried out to 50 yards (the farthest shot I would ever get at this WMA) but is most accurate with the CCI A22 Mag ammo. Now that I am newly retired, I may actually get a chance to do this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.