Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I sent a sample bullet to Lee Precision to get a custom-fitted seating plug for my 308win Lee Seater Die. The custom seating plug no longer pushes against the meplat tips of my bullets - But I’m concerned that bullet still seems to flop around in seating cup.

So I sent the custom seating plug back to Lee for them to look at, and they say it is correct and that bullet should not fit like a glove in the seater. I understand that the back of the seater plug is meant to float around in this die, but I’m still trying to understand why bullet should not have a tight fit in the seater plug cup.

Could anyone explain why a loose fit might be better?

Thanks!

P.S. - I use a very common 308 caliber bullet (Hornady 165grain Interlock SP flat-base) but original Lee seating plug pushed against the meplat tips of those bullets. Pushing on tips resulted in inconsistent lengths as measured from ogive - which is a big problem for me because I’m trying to be at 0.425mm (0.0167inch) to the rifling lands.

GB1

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Based on above concern, I decided to give something else a try for seating. I just bought an old Bonanza (Forster) Benchrest seater die.

I’ll make some rounds with both seaters and I’ll decide what I like from that.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
For what it’s worth, I am very pleased with all my other Lee dies.. I’m experimenting on my LC brass with Redding Body die bumped back 2 thousandths with Lee collet neck sizer. And I’m also experimenting with bumping back a Lee FL die by 2 thousandths.

Last edited by Frankk; 03/12/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Frankk
I sent a sample bullet to Lee Precision to get a custom-fitted seating plug for my 308win Lee Seater Die. The custom seating plug no longer pushes against the meplat tips of my bullets - But I’m concerned that bullet still seems to flop around in seating cup.

So I sent the custom seating plug back to Lee for them to look at, and they say it is correct and that bullet should not fit like a glove in the seater. I understand that the back of the seater plug is meant to float around in this die, but I’m still trying to understand why bullet should not have a tight fit in the seater plug cup.

Could anyone explain why a loose fit might be better?

Thanks!

P.S. - I use a very common 308 caliber bullet (Hornady 165grain Interlock SP flat-base) but original Lee seating plug pushed against the meplat tips of those bullets. Pushing on tips resulted in inconsistent lengths as measured from ogive - which is a big problem for me because I’m trying to be at 0.425mm (0.0167inch) to the rifling lands.

Even from the same box not all bullets are the same, but you want the stem to work with all the bullets.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Understand that bullets are not always exactly the same even in same box, but I found the Hornady Interlocks to be uniform on ogive based on measurements I can do. That and price are why I decided to standardize my ammo with them.

I still think my bullets fit too loose in the customized stem, but manufacturer Lee advises otherwise. I’m only interested in a stem that will have a good fit for this particular bullet.

I thought about spinning a Lee stem in a lathe myself with valve grinding compound, but I hope I’ll be more satisfied with the Bonanza seater.

Last edited by Frankk; 03/13/19.
IC B2

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I just received my Bonanza (Forster) Benchrest Seater Die. It is used but in great shape. After taking it apart to clean and lube and adjust, I am very impressed with the design and fit to my bullet and brass. I like how it holds everything securely and I wish I got this a long time ago.

So.. I now have no reason even to think about using my loose rattling Lee Seater Die anymore. It’s going to my deep storage closet collection with my old Lee Loader Whackamole and my powder measure spoons.

I hope my posts here help other people doing research to get started in the hobby.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Frankk, I'm not sure why Lee would fit your "custom" stem poorly to your bullet, unless it's not really "custom" or they just did a rush job on it. I haven't had Lee do that for me, but I've done some myself (one of the many advantages of having a lathe); I match the angle on the bullet nose and end up with a stem that fits pretty snug. That does help with concentricity; even the Lee seater is capable of good straight seating when the stem fits the bullet well.

With that said, you'll like those Forster dies a lot more of course. They are nice equipment for sure.

If you're willing to do it, it would be interesting to see runout results between your Lee die with either seating stem, and the Forster die. I'm sure the Forster will do better, but you could quantify how much, and whether the "custom" Lee stem made any difference.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I wish I could quantfy runout but I don’t have anything to measure that at this time. I just can’t justify spending another $120 for something like a nice Sinclair Runout Gauge at this time for my hunting rifle if I’m meeting my goal to be reliably under 1 MOA with military brass.

But if anyone has a gauge anywhere near Elizabethtown KY, I’d be glad to bring some rounds for testing.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I am indeed loving that Bonanza/Forster die. It’s working really smooth for me. Bought it off Ebay two days ago for $40 and just received it this afternoon. Looking forward to a nice day to try it out at the range.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I actually inherited a huge metal lathe but I sadly don’t know how to use it very well. But I can definitely chuck my original Lee stem and spin it against a bullet with valve grinding compound. I’d bet that would give me a pretty good fit.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Frankk ,

Howdy ..
I saved this thread - the folks here schooled me on a few things I wasn't aware of .
As hands on type guys we have learned that lining things up and torqueing things down etc. is the way mechanical things go I didn't know that dies being able to wiggle around could make things work out better - like the rubber O-rings under dies etc. . Like jiggling the handle so that the bullet wiggles into place better than just bringing the handle down Some good tips that might help you - can't hurt .
OK best of luck .

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...13271587/run-out-discussion#Post13271587

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Frankk
I actually inherited a huge metal lathe but I sadly don’t know how to use it very well. But I can definitely chuck my original Lee stem and spin it against a bullet with valve grinding compound. I’d bet that would give me a pretty good fit.

yeah, that can work. You could hold the bullet in the tailstock chuck for alignment. I suggest "pecking" at it, instead of just pressing and holding the bullet in place; the grinding compound works better that way as it exposes fresh abrasive particles to the surface.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I just got finished putting a batch of ammo together. The Forster Benchrest Seater is absolutely lovely. I wish I had it a long time ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee dies are simply absolute fhuqking Dog Schit garbage.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Oh Mr. Greypupon has spoken . . . .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I actually don’t think Lee dies are that bad. The seater is really the only die in my Lee 308win die set that I don’t like. The Universal Decapper always works great. The Full Length Sizer always worked well although I did polish the expander rod to make it smoother. My Lee Neck Collet Sizer is awesome although I did smash some brass until I realized that I needed to lubricate the collet. And the Factory Crimp Die always works.

And to be perfectly honest, I did get some good groups with that Lee Seater Die that I don’t like.. It was just a total PIA trying to keep uniform cartridge lengths with it. So I highly recommend that anybody should use a Forster Benchrest Seater instead of the Lee for that purpose - but my other Lee stuff is good to go.

And yet another brand die that I am very pleased with is the Redding Body Die. It’s a very simple chamber die but it makes my headspace clearance control very convenient with those varied thickness Competition Shell Holders.

Last edited by Frankk; 03/14/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your perceptions,do not skew facts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Laughing!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Awesome! So what are your facts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Lee Seater outsmarted you. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!................

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Looks like this “stick” guy does a lot of idiotic posts.

But I appreciate when anyone sends good information and criticism. I’m trying to learn how to get my 308win hunting rifle as accurate as possible without breaking the bank, and maybe leave a trail for others trying to do same.

Thank you, “Youper”, “ol_mike” and “Yondering” for your great responses.

Last edited by Frankk; 03/15/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (163bc, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.