Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
its not rocket science, i've launched and loaded a 35ft donzi zf by myself several times.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is the boat[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you got a 1 ton dually diesel. Gonna need some Salt Life stickers on it too.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Only need to use the parking brake if trans is auto, otherwise just throw in neutral and hop out.

Uh, manual trans roll in neutral.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by fubarguy
I'm talking about a 14 ft. aluminum rowboat with a small outboard on it. Around 350 pounds total weight. On a sloping concrete ramp. I should have made that clear. I'm a first timer so the good advice is wecome. Thank you

Unhook boat from trailer hook and strap. Remove trailer tiedowns from transom. Hang anchor with 50 ft of rope in front of boat on the trailer. Back into the drink to the point the boat floats free and continues into the lake from momentum. Shift to 1st or drive and move forward slowly, pulling detrailered boat to the ramp. Stop, put on Emergency brake, put in park and get out, unhook anchor and rope from trailer and set on ramp. Reenter auto and go park.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/15/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Anybody got a tip on how to load a boat onto a trailer by yourself? Like does the vehicle's parking brake have to be set? Or will placing the trans in park be o.k.?

Parking an auto transmission on a steep slope can cause transmission lock. You can't get it out of park because of pressure on the shift mechanism. Set the parking brake and let up on the brake pedal to put most of the weight on the parking brake. THEN put it in park. To move, put it in gear before releasing the brake.

This^^^^.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very similar to mine. (Other than the gay paint job. wink )
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13658630/boat#Post13658630

Looks like about a 15" draw, so a short shaft outboard, and works well in shallow water. Should be a good fishing boat.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Raeford
Only need to use the parking brake if trans is auto, otherwise just throw in neutral and hop out.

Uh, manual trans roll in neutral.

Yep jag, man don't drive a stick.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unhook boat from trailer hook and strap.

Just so the ramp isn't steep and you don't drop the stern on the concrete. Or the prop if you don't lift the motor.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Develop a checklist, and follow it - whether you write it down or not. It's important to get into a routine to avoid forgetting something important - like the drain plug, license, life jackets, keys, etc. If something distracts you - a truck gets sunk, or a bikini top is lost, go back to the list so you don't forget. smile

If you have not run the motor in a while, before you go to the ramp, get one of those garden hose adapters so you can run the motor out of water. Start it and make sure it runs okay. Modern engines with fuel injection are much more reliable about starting, BTW.

When I back the boat into the water, I leave the bow line connected to the trailer. I back in enough to get the stern floating, then climb into the pickup bed, then jump/step to the bow and board the boat. I start the motor and let it run, before I disconnect the bow line. Then back the boat off the trailer, then dock, and then go fetch the truck & park it. If you feel secure doing it, I'll leave the boat motor idling while parking the truck.

I think the way most people kill boat motors is running them hard before they are warmed up.

That's what I've learned through experience. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the people waiting for the ramp don't at least give you dirty looks?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those are nice boats for small lakes. They don't cost a lot, and will fit into tight places that big fancy boats can't go smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
its not rocket science, i've launched and loaded a 35ft donzi zf by myself several times.

I load and unload my 18' Caravalle several times a year alone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody got a tip on how to load a boat onto a trailer by yourself? Like does the vehicle's parking brake have to be set? Or will placing the trans in park be o.k.?

Ocean or lake?

Transmission in gear, engine off, wheel chocks on front tire In case a swell lifts the boat, trailer and rear end up a little.
If you only have two wheel drive and a surge lifts the boat and trailer, being in gear won’t help, parking brake won’t help, chock the front end!!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A side wind is my biggest problem.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I launch and retrieve a 28' 10000-lb boat several times a year, alone, using a manual transmission truck with effectively no parking brake. I don't hesitate to give away all my "secrets" because they're not really secrets...they're common sense. Stack the deck in your favor to keep from a.) spilling your boat on the ramp, b.) rolling your rig into the water, and c.) holding everyone up who's ready before you are. Set chocks under your front or rear tires, but have them tied to your rear bumper or hitch or side mirrors so they drag up the ramp. Put your rig in 4wd low range. Shut the engine off with the manual tranny in the lowest gear you have - that gives your engine's compression maximum leverage against rolling back. Leave your freaking driver door open in case you need to attend to something inside, quickly...Tie a long-ish mooring line or bow line from your side cleat to the dock so when you back in and jerk, the boat slides off the trailer backward and gets arrested and brought to the dock. Don't untie your winch strap until the arse-end of the boat is over or in water (someone did that to a friend without him knowing...picture a 24' Osprey landing stern first on concrete. That one broke his Volvo duoprop outdrive...). Don't put out lines and fenders when you're hovering over the launch lane - do that in the parking lot.

Or leave your brain at home and distinguish yourself at the ramp.

If I have my wife or my two young sons to help, we are in or out of the water in no time.

You may or may not have noticed, that ever since rear disc brakes on pickups became common, the parking brakes SUCK. That's a tradeoff that folks don't appreciate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You want to see a real CF go to the Sandy Beach take-out in Maupin on the Deschutes in July and August.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A side wind is my biggest problem.

ROFL, yes I learned in Kodiak that if you have a cabin boat, you are going to learn about sailing whether you want to or not!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
To fight the side wind, I put what I call risers on the trailer. Pipes clamped on the trailer close to the boat sides. I miss the old boathouse.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If you don't need the brake on the incline without the boat you won't need it with it. As far as actually loading the boat on a trailer, I would recommend backing the trailer as close to a dock as possible or at least have a plan for climbing off the bow on to your trailer or vehicle...or getting wet. I don't make fun of people's biating abilities because it's like riding a motorcycle...just a matter of time before something gets you. Just don't forget the plug, turn over or hit something too fast and you be alright.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.