Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you had one and sold it, I'd like to know why?

If you still have one, I'd like to know what you don't like about it.

No pros, just cons.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have just one...I don't like that I don't really NEED another rifle...ever! That's all I got. : )

Last edited by LEADMINER; 03/15/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t love the ergos of the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to disappoint you, but I like mine just fine. Assuming the stock fits your face and build, I don't see how you can do better for the price on a off-the-rack rifle. A Montana is cheaper, but comes up short in twist and mag box, and according to some, is a crapshoot on quality, at least at times. Closest competitor is maybe the Bergara Premier, but it's spendier and heavier, IIRC. A Melvin is twice the price.

Spent more on this than anything else I have, and don't regret a penny of it. Might be able to come close by upgrading something else, but don't want to spend the time, effort, and aggravation. I handled one in a store about a year before I got mine, so it wasn't a pig in a poke.

If you want negatives, you'll have to keep looking.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The only negative is you’ll sell other rifles after getting a Fieldcraft

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
LOP is too long for me.

But it has a nice walnut stock now.

Last edited by prm; 03/15/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sold mine because of stock ergonomics that don't work well for me, and the inability to get the scope low enough for good cheek weld with currently available mounts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not a huge fan of the bolt handle being pinned. It moves/wiggles with use. I’ve got three of them and all three have some play at that connection.

Yup.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I love my Fieldcraft in 270 and will be keeping it for a long time, for me it fits me perfect and is super accurate.

I had a Fieldcraft in 243 and traded it away but it wasn't gun but more the caliber, I have had at least a dozen 243's over the years and never kept one longer than 1 year. For some reason I get tired of .243's quickly.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine in 6CM is simply easy to like......out of the box accuracy with several loads.

I don't care for the open slot beside the bolt that allows snow and crud to get into the magazine but then this isn't my brown bear rifle either.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sold my fieldcraft because of the ergonomics, The length of pull is way more than i like. I will buy another at some point and cut the stock down. They are a great rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I sold two, to buy another Fieldcraft that I preferred. Not really a downside, but I sold 2 of the short actions to pick up another of the short action models with the 22" #2 barrel...I hold it steadier off hand. Again, not really a con on the standard short action's light barrel, just my preference....the 22" cerakoted #2 6.5 is the "perfect" rifle for my use.

My only con on the long action is the limited mag box length. It's plenty functional and accuracy has been good, but the mag box OAL is shorter than I prefer....but it hasn't caused me to sell it. I do understand the basis of trying to minimize the action for weight, but I'd prefer another couple of oz's for more flexibility on length.

Side note con......DNZ needs to make their mounts in low and xlow for the Fieldcraft. Medium's are way higher than I need....but still lower than a ring/rail setup. Having trouble going back to TLW's after a couple of problems.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
AKduck, I know a fairly easy fix for that bolt handle wiggle.

After removing the bolt from the rifle, drive the pin out and clean the bolt, the bolt handle and pin with brake cleaner. Mix up a dab of JB Weld and cram it into the recess of the bolt that the bolt handle fits. reattach the bolt handle and drive the pin back in. Clean off any excess JB Weld and leave the bolt out of the rifle for a day. That should do it. RJ

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Love everything about mine but the stock. LOP is too long and ergos are just a little “off” for me. A Fieldcraft in a Bansner stock would be the perfect rifle for my tastes

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Hookset
Love everything about mine but the stock. LOP is too long and ergos are just a little “off” for me. A Fieldcraft in a Bansner stock would be the perfect rifle for my tastes

The Bansner stock that was on the Howa Alpine, put on a Fieldcraft, would be a perfect rifle to me!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKduck
I’m not a huge fan of the bolt handle being pinned. It moves/wiggles with use. I’ve got three of them and all three have some play at that connection.

I just tried to replicate (wiggly) loose bolt handle connection. I could not make it “wiggle “ at the bolt /bolt handle connection.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/16/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Do you still need two different torx heads to remove the stock?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep.. sure do.. as an aside.. what is the suggested torque? My front seemed awfully tight. 60ish when I removed stock to adjust trigger.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Do you still need two different torx heads to remove the stock?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Bayou - something that should have been corrected a long time ago.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Hookset

The Bansner stock that was on the Howa Alpine, put on a Fieldcraft, would be a perfect rifle to me!

Won't those preferences be more personal tastes than anything? I hated the ergo's on that Howa. I handled one several times and it was just short and unbalanced feeling to me. I don't have the fieldcraft but I have the Forbes which should be the same stock design in a long action. I prefer it over the Howa and my Montana.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, BABore, AdamT204, 9 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 675 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.