Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And this from the NRA position:

The process should require the judge to make a determination of whether the person meets the state standard for involuntary commitment. Where the standard for involuntary commitment is met, this should be the course of action taken.

The NRA has it partly correct yet doesn't take the protections far enough...

Unless a person is mentally deficient enough to be placed on at least a 72-hour involuntary hold by authorities and then after having at least two mental professionals diagnosed and then in court adjudicated as such, they should not lose the right to keep and bear arms..NOTHING LESS IS ACCEPTABLE!!!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Lets be clear about the NRA's position on Red Flag Laws:

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts/emergency-risk-protection-orders-erpos/

What is the NRA's position on emergency risk protection orders (ERPOs)?
The NRA’s position on emergency risk protection orders (ERPOs) has recently been mischaracterized by some who haven't taken the time to understand our position, including the anti-gun mainstream media and organizations that purport to support the Second Amendment. Many of the individuals mischaracterizing our position are using misinformation to simply attack the NRA.

The NRA fights for the constitutional freedoms, including the due process rights, of all law-abiding Americans, every day in Congress, the statehouses and the courts. Our record on this is clear. Due process of law is a bedrock of our constitutional freedoms. Without it, we would cease to exist as a free country.

All fifty states currently have civil commitment procedures and many lack basic due process protections. This is unacceptable. The NRA believes that no one should be deprived of a fundamental right without due process of law.

Some have raised the issue of current ERPO laws in California, Oregon, Vermont and other states, suggesting that the NRA supports those laws. This is false. The NRA strongly opposed these laws because they do not protect due process rights. We will continue to oppose confiscation schemes such as these.

In addition, the NRA opposes any effort to create a federal ERPO law, in which federal agents would be tasked with seizing firearms after a hearing in federal court. As states consider ERPO laws, the NRA will continue to push for the inclusion of strong due process protections.

The NRA believes that any effort should be structured to fully protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens while preventing truly dangerous individuals from accessing firearms.

The requirements of an ERPO process that the NRA can support should include the following:

The process should include criminal penalties for those who bring false or frivolous charges.

An order should only be granted when a judge makes the determination, by clear and convincing evidence, that the person poses a significant risk of danger to themselves or others.

The process should require the judge to make a determination of whether the person meets the state standard for involuntary commitment. Where the standard for involuntary commitment is met, this should be the course of action taken.

If an ERPO is granted, the person should receive community-based mental health treatment as a condition of the ERPO.

Any ex parte proceeding should include admitting the individual for treatment.

A person’s Second Amendment rights should only be temporarily deprived after a hearing before a judge, in which the person has notice of the hearing and is given an opportunity to offer evidence on his or her behalf.

There should be a mechanism in place for the return of firearms upon termination of an ERPO, when a person is ordered to relinquish their firearms as a condition of the order.

The ERPO process should allow an individual to challenge or terminate the order, with full due process protections in place.

The process should allow firearms to be retained by law-abiding third parties, local law enforcement, or a federally licensed firearms dealer when an individual is ordered to relinquish such firearms as a condition of the ERPO. The individual must also have the ability to sell his or her firearms in a reasonable time without violating the order.

Again, the NRA will continue to oppose any proposal that does not fully protect due process rights. We will only support an ERPO process that strongly protects both Second Amendment rights and due process rights at the same time

This should clear up the NRA position. But some will not read it because it doesn't fit in their little world.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No gun control or confiscation is what should be supported.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 700LH
And this from the NRA position:

The NRA has it partly correct yet doesn't take the protections far enough...

Unless a person is mentally deficient enough to be placed on at least a 72-hour involuntary hold by authorities and then after having at least two mental professionals diagnosed and then in court adjudicated as such, they should not lose the right to keep and bear arms..NOTHING LESS IS ACCEPTABLE!!!

You act as if the only two alternatives are laws to your liking, or nothing. That's not how real life actually works. If you see that you are going to be in a car crash, and it can't be avoided, should you not still (when applicable) step on the brake to lessen the impact?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I assume Colorado's mag limits are acceptable to you because that is just how it is, carry on.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Cue watch4bear.

Don't call me. I'm going to let you stupid phuggs drown grin And I'll be here to laugh at you when it happens.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Two things.........first, at some point in time, probably sooner rather than later, there will be some serious gun control legislation that will become the law of the land. In other words, it will pretty much do away with the Second Amendment.......and it will be supported by a majority of the politicians in BOTH parties, the SCOTUS, and the NRA. The NRA will say that it is necessary in order to hold onto the rest of our rights.

Secondly....I don't know of anyone, other than a fool, and there are quite a few of those around, who would not support a law that would keep guns, along with other deadly weapons, out of the hands of people who desire to use them to take the lives of innocent people. But, therein lies the rub......how do you determine who those people are? We do not live in a perfect world, one whereby we would know who is, and who isn't, a dangerous threat to society. I might get mad at my neighbor and decide to pay him back by falsely reporting that he is a dangerous man, and then he would be red flagged and could not buy a gun....when in fact, it would be that was the bad guy, and he the good one.

I can see all sorts of differing scenarios, but, I do agree with those who say something needs to be done to keep guns out of the hands of someone who intends on using a gun to commit a crime with. I just don't know how you go about doing it without stepping on the rights of the innocent people.

There's only so much, in a free society, you can do toward that end. If you go beyond that, you enter into classical tyranny. In America, we've traditionally chosen to err on the side of non-tyranny, with the understanding that this affords evil people the opportunity to accomplish great evil. However, if liberty is increased to where the Founders intended, then there will also be plenty of armed Americans around to limit the extent of the evil they're able to accomplish by putting them down in the process.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Red Flag laws are characterized by the absence of due process. "Due process" after the tyrannical act is already complete (which is what the NRA was advocating in the video above) isn't due process.

If you respect due process, you understand that we've already had laws in place for a century or more for dealing with dangerously mentally ill, and it involves bringing them before a court and, before they are denied their rights, finding them incompetent to be free in a fair trial involving representation and facing accusers.

I would go along with this except for all the times it has failed. What is wrong with debating better ways to solve a problem?

To do more takes you outside the realm of liberty and law and places you in the realm of tyranny, and all that this implies. In a free society, we accept that evil is at liberty to do evil, but good folks, under liberty, are armed so as to limit the extent of the evil these folks are able to accomplish.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Unless a person is mentally deficient enough to be placed on at least a 72-hour involuntary hold by authorities and then after having at least two mental professionals diagnosed and then in court adjudicated as such, they should not lose the right to keep and bear arms..

Or even have said rights interfered with, except in that while in a locked down facility for 72-hour observation (and whatever time it takes to adjudicate his mental state), his firearms remain in his home in the condition he left them. If found mentally ill to the point of being a danger, the person so adjudicated should be kept confined, not his firearms, which do not belong to the state, but to him and (should he be adjudicated - with all due process - to be an actual danger due to insanity) his family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
This is another law that won’t get enforced accurately. It’ll be up to the local jurisdictions and judges. Welcome to the end .

Of course: the NRA means the law to be interpreted and implemented one way, the Democrats and their black-robed tyrants will ENFORCE to law another way. Guess which version of the law we will end up with???

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So I assume Colorado's mag limits are acceptable to you because that is just how it is, carry on.

I never said that.

The lesser of two evils is still evil, but still lesser.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank this city boy. MAGA, KAG, winning, chess. Great minds and all that grin

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Yep. Pretty disgusting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Yep. Pretty disgusting.

It's looking more and more like Donald Trump Jr. has less influence on his father on 2nd Amendment issues than most of us had presumed he had. Too bad....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The most anti gun attorney general ever on the planet earth grin Trumps right hand...

ESAD

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ignorant MF'rs grin grin grin grin grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
free bumbp for the dikhead from california

MOLON LABE

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

It's looking more and more like Donald Trump Jr. has less influence on his father on 2nd Amendment issues than most of us had presumed he had. Too bad....

Junior is a hunter. I've never heard that he was much of a 2nd Amendment campaigner. I guess that would make him the First Fudd...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
dickhead bump

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Red Flag laws are characterized by the absence of due process. "Due process" after the tyrannical act is already complete (which is what the NRA was advocating in the video above) isn't due process.

If you respect due process, you understand that we've already had laws in place for a century or more for dealing with dangerously mentally ill, and it involves bringing them before a court and, before they are denied their rights, finding them incompetent to be free in a fair trial involving representation and facing accusers.

I would go along with this except for all the times it has failed. What is wrong with debating better ways to solve a problem?

To do more takes you outside the realm of liberty and law and places you in the realm of tyranny, and all that this implies. In a free society, we accept that evil is at liberty to do evil, but good folks, under liberty, are armed so as to limit the extent of the evil these folks are able to accomplish.

OK, by all means, lets not debate debate the issue...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,029
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.