Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson

55 gallon drum.

Street fighter, LEFT JAB!

Ace do pack him a mean left jab.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any knife with a blade over 4" is obnoxious.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Any knife with a blade over 4" is obnoxious.

Some Texan you turned out to be.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Ewwww? You are the one buying a knife for its' cool factor. If you are going to go full Texan you need a Nighthawk 1911 w/ pearl grips. I'll bet it would look splendid if your holster and sheath were matched in Iguana hide that you killed and tanned yourself. Kellory will help you out w/ that if you ask like a gentleman.

You must remember that it was you that set the tone of this thread, I am just trying to keep things on track, style is important.

mike r

HEY! HEY HEY!!!

You stop that schit!

I set the parameters for what is and isn't gaudy while remaining functional in the eyes of a working class dude.

Got it?

ME!

Clark

LoverOfMike,

I kinda blacked out here.

Apologies.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Have you considered a Winchester knife? I think Walmart has some.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So no chit their I was in Afghanistan at COP (combat outpost) Zormat. The Troop was getting ready to do an air assault into some chit hole Afghani village. One of the medics who was going was getting his chit ready. When he pulled out this ph ucking machete. I looked at my bud and looked at this medic and I asked what is this vietnam type chit. To take the weirdo factor even higher he starts ph ucking sharpening it. I asked wth you going to do with that machete. he goes man when the chit hits the fan I'm going to start chopping some [bleep] uckers up. At that point I ran out of questions and left him to his machete sharpening... Few days later found out he didn't have to hack anyone up with his machete.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randalls are so 1970 you need a Benchmade.......... smile

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
So no chit their I was in Afghanistan at COP (combat outpost) Zormat. The Troop was getting ready to do an air assault into some chit hole Afghani village. One of the medics who was going was getting his chit ready. When he pulled out this ph ucking machete. I looked at my bud and looked at this medic and I asked what is this vietnam type chit. To take the weirdo factor even higher he starts ph ucking sharpening it. I asked wth you going to do with that machete. he goes man when the chit hits the fan I'm going to start chopping some [bleep] uckers up. At that point I ran out of questions and left him to his machete sharpening... Few days later found out he didn't have to hack anyone up with his machete.
That's a funny story.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’ve seen a bunch of actual Bowie’s, the big honking ones are all in near-new condition, while the 10” and under ones are generally beat-up and worn out. That’s prob’ly because the big ones were never used much.

It was Rezin Bowie what made Jim his famous knife, and shortly after Jim’s demise this is what Rezin thought a Bowie knife looked like.

https://medium.com/@OfficialAlamo/march-artifact-of-the-month-searles-bowie-knife-5c491a3eb3a0

Quit screwing around with $1,000 knives, $6,500 will get ya a keeper cool

http://www.stevenrappcustomknives.c...&gpid=1&ipid=1&AKey=ET93GPT3

Why in hell when you are going for such historical accuracy and when blades have advanced so far since then, would you decorate it with African Blackwood? I'm pretty sure Rezin Bowie didn't have access to that shixt and probably didn't know what it was.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randall who..?

Puma is your friend.

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I’ve seen a bunch of actual Bowie’s, the big honking ones are all in near-new condition, while the 10” and under ones are generally beat-up and worn out. That’s prob’ly because the big ones were never used much.

It was Rezin Bowie what made Jim his famous knife, and shortly after Jim’s demise this is what Rezin thought a Bowie knife looked like.

https://medium.com/@OfficialAlamo/march-artifact-of-the-month-searles-bowie-knife-5c491a3eb3a0

Quit screwing around with $1,000 knives, $6,500 will get ya a keeper cool

http://www.stevenrappcustomknives.c...&gpid=1&ipid=1&AKey=ET93GPT3

Why in hell when you are going for such historical accuracy and when blades have advanced so far since then, would you decorate it with African Blackwood? I'm pretty sure Rezin Bowie didn't have access to that shixt and probably didn't know what it was.

IIRC African Blackwood, like Central American Rosewood, was carried as ballast by returning ships. Rosewood in particular so common in England that Sheffield used it on their kazillion trade knives. I forget if the original Searles used Blackwood or ebony.

What will $1,000 get ya in a knife that a $100 knife won’t do just as well?

OTOH a hand-built replica Searles Bowie, as originally commissioned by Rezin Bowie hisself, would go with yer hand-built replica Dusenberg Torpedo:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0813-161577/1930-duesenberg-model-j-torpedo-phaeton/

And while cars work so much better now, nothing says you can’t have modern steel in a Searles.

Or ya can drop $1,000 on something that looks just like the stuff they make in China <“shrug”>

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
two newest knifes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In the 1830’s ANY big knife could be called a “Bowie Knife” when the big knife fashion hit. Most knives used in the US back then we’re actually made in Sheffield UK and the same soon was true of “American” Bowie knives.

At the Alamo I carry a replica Gravely and Wreeks Bowie, imported into Manhattan beginning in 1835. A fine read here for anyone interested in our history....

http://thefifthfield.com/swt/graveley-wreaks-bowie-knife/

Note, it was how the Brits advertised them as much as anything else that came to determine what style of knife we call a Bowie today. One imported Gravely and Wreaks design sold by them here as an “Arkansas Toothpick” was sold in Canada as as “Buffalo Knife” and in South America as a “Gaucho Knife”.

The best evidence suggests that Jim Bowie never carried or possibly ever saw the crossguard/clip point blades we call Bowie’s today, but the Brits, who made more Bowie knives used here than anyone else, sold that design of knife as a “Bowie” and so it eventually became, especially after the 1870’s, forty years after Jim Bowie’s death.

Rezin Bowie himself referred to these clip point blades in writing as “later designs”.

Another fine read here from Sherrif Jim Wilson on the same topic.

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2013/12/26/bowies-knife/

I will say that while no blade expert, I’ve handled a couple of Uberti replicas which are naturally quite popular among Texian reenactors, and at a balanced heft of just 18oz they feel slim, light and quick in the hand. No idea how good the steel is.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2587/category/552/category_chain/551,552/product_name/KE6701+Bowie+Knife

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03/17/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Anyone mention Randall Pink?

I am MAGA.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter
two newest knifes.

[Linked Image]

Who made this one?

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I will say that while no blade expert, I’ve handled a couple of Uberti replicas which are naturally quite popular among Texian reenactors, and at a balanced heft of just 18oz they feel slim, light and quick in the hand. No idea how good the steel is.

Another gem.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Anyone mention Randall Pink?

Do those come in green?

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DMc
Randall who..?

Puma is your friend.

[Linked Image]

I have the Puma Bowie actually.

Whenever I've used it, it has made me wonder why Puma's are held in such regard.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by stxhunter
two newest knifes.

[Linked Image]

Who made this one?

i'll have to pm neil, he told but i done forgot. believe one of the guys who sell here on the fire.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 1830’s ANY big knife could be called a “Bowie Knife” when the big knife fashion hit. Most knives used in the US back then we’re actually made in Sheffield UK and the same soon was true of “American” Bowie knives.

At the Alamo I carry a replica Gravely and Wreeks Bowie, imported into Manhattan beginning in 1835. A fine read here for anyone interested in our history....

http://thefifthfield.com/swt/graveley-wreaks-bowie-knife/

Note, it was how the Brits advertised them as much as anything else that came to determine what style of knife we call a Bowie today. One imported Gravely and Wreaks design sold by them here as an “Arkansas Toothpick” was sold in Canada as as “Buffalo Knife” and in South America as a “Gaucho Knife”.

The best evidence suggests that Jim Bowie never carried or possibly ever saw the crossguard/clip point blades we call Bowie’s today, but the Brits, who made more Bowie knives used here than anyone else, sold that design of knife as a “Bowie” and so it eventually became, especially after the 1870’s, forty years after Jim Bowie’s death.

Rezin Bowie himself referred to these clip point blades in writing as “later designs”.

Another fine read here from Sherrif Jim Wilson on the same topic.

http://sheriffjimwilson.com/2013/12/26/bowies-knife/

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/2587/category/552/category_chain/551,552/product_name/KE6701+Bowie+Knife

Original Bowie knives were made in England by Shively. A friend of mine bought an original Bowie that was owned by Davey Crocket. It wasn't cheap but he had the money...

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3097M/lots/17

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.