Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SU35
Nosler has always shown professionalism in statements with their bullets. When they say a BC is a certain number it's because it is.

Unlike Barnes;
Who for years "claimed" inflated BC's.
Produced a flawed reloading guide.
Made brittle bullets, used flawed materials, at more than a few times.
They can't even put the right bullets in the right box, just read the recent thread here.
Not to mention that skewed video of a bullet hitting some
watered up gel.

I've tested plenty of Barnes bullets in my rifles. The TSX is a heck of an accurate bullet and I actually prefer they lose their petals. I like the grenade effect like a partition, I'm not hung up on picture perfect mushrooms. I think more internal damage is done when the NP and TSX lose their nose. But as stated I don't use them as I use turrets and want a bullet that hits at 2,000 fps minimum at distance. Between the 2 bullets and their BC's, the Nosler gives me another 100 yards. Striking velocity is also higher with a higher BC bullet and that's something the Barnes needs to have to be successful.

Exactaaaaly--although I'm not quite as hard on Barnes grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by POP

Seriously fellas. All I am is a nosler fan (and Barnes hornady --I hate speer and despise Sierra grin) and I am a non-compensated moderator on the nosler forums. No other connection at all. On my word of honor.

POP:

Thanks for the info..........I'm pretty dedicated to Nosler, almost exclusively. Never have been a Barnes fan in the least.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pop-
We'd be happy to start house hunting in Bend for you! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would like to see Nosler or somebody develop a line of super-premiums (unleaded or otherwise) specifically designed for stodgy old non-magnum velocities. Instead of worrying about fragmentation at 3200 fps, make sure the thing mushrooms properly and reliably at 1800 fps. For every yahoo shooting a Weatherby or RUM, there must be 100 guys (and gals!) shooting a .30-06, .308, or hell 7x57. Focus on the 1700-2800 fps impact velocity, and let the mega-magnum folks buy TSXes or Swifts.

Call it the "E-Tip Classic" line.

How would the California authorities react to hunting bullets made from depleted uranium? wink

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What about recycled bear cans?
Aluminium is maleable and would be soft on barrels. Most of all, there will never be a shortage.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pop,

Heard anything about when they might be coming out with E-tips in other calibers?

Like for my 257Roy???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yah Elkslayer!!!!!!!!

I'll be curious to see how they work in the Roy, as well, both on paper, and how they stand up to the velocity.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am sure availability indifferent weights and diameters will be on par with the accubond eventually. I am thinking 7mm next, 270, 338 etc etc.

We all now how this business works. Most popular first then the oddball diameters and weight.

PS I will let you know about moving to Bend!!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking the nice thing about these types of bullets is you can run lighter bullets, hence greater velocity, so I am not going to worry about bullet length. I also like the idea it does not need rings, like someone else stated, that can slow the bullet over a long shot (maybe, maybe not). But, if what they claim about opening up more, and at lower velocities is true, coupled with resistance to shedding petals verses the TSX, then I would say Nosler probably has a winner.

Final thoughts are that Nosler probably is not foolish enough to market a solid bullet verses the TSX without proof their bullet has a few superior characteristics.

As for pricing, over the long term, I think it will benefit us reloaders, as competition leads to pricing concessions.

I'm wondering when Hornady and Swift will get in the frey.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Nosler has always shown professionalism in statements with their bullets. When they say a BC is a certain number it's because it is.

Unlike Barnes;
Who for years "claimed" inflated BC's.
Produced a flawed reloading guide.
Made brittle bullets, used flawed materials, at more than a few times.
They can't even put the right bullets in the right box, just read the recent thread here.
Not to mention that skewed video of a bullet hitting some
watered up gel.

I've tested plenty of Barnes bullets in my rifles. The TSX is a heck of an accurate bullet and I actually prefer they lose their petals. I like the grenade effect like a partition, I'm not hung up on picture perfect mushrooms. I think more internal damage is done when the NP and TSX lose their nose. But as stated I don't use them as I use turrets and want a bullet that hits at 2,000 fps minimum at distance. Between the 2 bullets and their BC's, the Nosler gives me another 100 yards. Striking velocity is also higher with a higher BC bullet and that's something the Barnes needs to have to be successful.

SU35, I am in your camp 100 percent. Your reasons are exactly why I for the life of me, cant say nice things about Barnes. I load TSX's, but I have privatly been waiting for someone else to come along and do it better, appears Nosler has done it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hope more buy those noslers and leave the TSXs for me. Copying is the best flattery around. HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting mixed weight bullets in a box of bullets would be, er, very dangerous.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[Quote] by AggieDog
SU35, I am in your camp 100 percent. Your reasons are exactly why I for the life of me, cant say nice things about Barnes. I load TSX's, but I have privatly been waiting for someone else to come along and do it better, appears Nosler has done it.[Quote]

On what do you base your opion? Exactly how do you know that Nosler "has done it better" ? Have you tested this bullet? Did get samples to try before Mule Deer ?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Putting mixed weight bullets in a box of bullets would be, er, very dangerous.

I assume that you have documented this to be fact? Do you mind sharing your proof? is it possiable that every thing posted on the internet is not true?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The bore grooves reduce pressure, as I understand it. A solid gilding metal bullet may not need grooves to reduce bore deposition, but I wonder if the E-Tips will turn out to cause greater pressures than a cup/core of the same weight and bearing length.

AggieDog, I don't think they need to be superior, they just need to be different. In fact one of the principles they teach in business school is "differentiation"; making sure that your product is effectively different than the existing competitors. The differing factor(s) can be cost, performance, availability, etc. Nosler can certainly differentiate the E-tip from the TSX on cost, but also BC, impact velocity range, expansion characteristics vs penetration characteristics, etc. Since Nosler's distribution pipeline is bigger, they've got an advantage there, plus Nosler seems to have a lot more muscle w.r.t. publishing load data, so they can beat the TSX with a greater range and depth of load data if they want. And like I said, the easiest way to get differentiation in the super-premium market is to go after the lower velocity crowd.

AGW, aluminum's density is so small a .308" 200 grain spitzer would be sticking out way past the throat. Not sure how you'd remove aluminum deposits in the bore, either. Once aluminum forms an oxide coat, its pretty impervious to chemical attack. And aluminum oxide is a serious abrasive, the bullets might have to be coated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why don't you just call Ty on the telephone for yourself....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It was a joke, but my PC does not smile when I type.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I really can't believe so much discussion is happening about the "improved BC" of this bullet over the Barnes TSX. The ballistic coefficient differences are more imagined than real - at least in hunting conditions.

What is the difference in actual shooting performance between a bullet having a .523 BC over one "only" having a .453 BC? According to Nosler's own tables the difference (in a 180 grain 30-06 bullet, launched at 2800fps) the difference amounts to a WHOLE INCH - (when sighted in at 200 yards) at 400 yards away!

AN INCH!

Is there anyone who is going to seriously tell me they can spot a ONE INCH difference when shooting game a quarter mile away? Seriously?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Why don't you just call Ty on the telephone for yourself....

Are you saying that Tye is your proof?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really don't care about BC differences. I just like the fact that Barnes will now have some serious competition in the solid copper bullet arena. That usually always poses well for consumers. Competition can lead to lower pricing as they compete in the market. Maybe, maybe not, but it at least allows us more choices, and that is always a "good thing" for us reloaders.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.