Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
do you guys think Nosler is going to introduce these at a "much" cheaper price then the MRX and then, when they start to catch on, raise thr price dramitically?

I wouldn't expect that. It can be harder to sell a premium product at a bargain price point. After all, if Mercedes started offering a brand new $12,000 luxury coupe, would you expect it to be any better than a Kia?

What they might do is set a high MSRP, then flood the big distributors with a lot of discounted inventory with the wink-wink approval to sell it at an "introductory discount". If it works, they capture a bunch of Barnes' market share and then can raise prices later back up to MSRP. But I think they've got to maintain a high MSRP otherwise the consumers will view the product as pedestrian rather than premium.

I don't think they would succeed in charging more than Barnes, because Barnes has proven that a small shop can break even at Barnes' price level. If Nosler charges more than Barnes, Barnes and maybe new players would undercut the Nosler price.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The simple addition of the poly tip to a basic mono-metal bullet makes a lot of sense. It's what Barnes should have done with their TSX instead of going off the deep end with the MRX. I'm really glad to see another manufacturer building a bullet along similar construction lines. I have always liked Barnes though I have had some events which have dampened my confidence in them. That, along with the fact that they keep changing their product offerings, has me put off right now so seeing another maker, and a highly reputed one, building a mono-metal bullet is great news.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Klik

You are the first that I'd seen a failure on. Still keeps me sharp thinking about that and thanks for that photo.

Don't take this as a negative, just another opinion.

Funny thing, in competitive shooting most shooters ran Sierra. Who rarely changed anything. If you wanted to be on the cutting edge you had to go to a custom bullet maker. Thats exactly where I wanted to be to allow myself to win easier.

Yet when larger name maker starts trying things to keep up and make things better, folks don't like that much.

I can see why at times. But then I've never had an issue shooting up what I had and then starting over again. Things don't change much when they change. And you have to start over again each different lot of powder, cases, primers and lot of bullets anyway...

I do not like the MRX idea since it has a dmn core in it. A mono bullet cannot be out of balance due to a core issue(it could be from other issues) and the MRX only introduces another horror possibility to me.... Though I do like the tip thought for added insurance.

If Nosler could do the mono, without fouling and hte tips,and be accurate, what more could one ask at the moment?

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CouchTater
I would like to see Nosler or somebody develop a line of super-premiums (unleaded or otherwise) specifically designed for stodgy old non-magnum velocities. Instead of worrying about fragmentation at 3200 fps, make sure the thing mushrooms properly and reliably at 1800 fps. ...

You should try the North Fork bullets. I suspect Trophy Bonded and A-Frames work just as well...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The mono bullets that work the best ( shoot well and not foul) all have either grooves(TXS) or driving bands(North Fork, G.S. Custom) the Noslers will Probably have the same problems that all non grooved ( or non driving band) bullets suffer..........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Folks seem to be very happy with all three of those super-premiums. But the NFs and A-Frames are rather blunt little suckers, and the TBBCs are just insanely expensive. At more than a dollar a bullet, finding the best load for a rifle could run into triple digits. And what if I go through 100 bullets and don't even find one good load?

I'm all for spending more money for better bullets but there's a point where its cheaper to buy steak than work up a load and shoot it.

I did see mention somewhere that NF may be working on a more streamlined spitzer design. That would be awesome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When it comes to monometal bullet technology Barnes and Nosler are late commers.These guys have been at it a whole lot longer.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/02hv.html

There was alot of gum flapping on Accurate reloading a few years ago about people not getting there orders from SA.All I can say is that I've delt with Gina just recently.And had dealings with Gerard years ago.I've never had problems getting bullets.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are using a solid copper bullet, I could buy that, but Nosler is not using a solid copper bullet, or they claim a alloy (time will tell). It will be fun determining if they are a decent bullet. That's half the fun when a new bullet comes onto the market.

Depending on where Nosler prices their bullet, it could mean price concessions from Barnes. I always see it as a winning situation when a bullet maker brings out a new bullet to compete with a similar offering.

Last edited by AggieDog; 04/15/07.
POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
When it comes to monometal bullet technology Barnes and Nosler are late commers.These guys have been at it a whole lot longer.

There was alot of gum flapping on Accurate reloading a few years ago about people not getting there orders from SA.All I can say is that I've delt with Gina just recently.And had dealings with Gerard years ago.I've never had problems getting bullets.

dave

Absolutely!

Look. http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Nosler has always shown professionalism in statements with their bullets. When they say a BC is a certain number it's because it is.

Unlike Barnes;
Who for years "claimed" inflated BC's.
Produced a flawed reloading guide.
Made brittle bullets, used flawed materials, at more than a few times.
They can't even put the right bullets in the right box, just read the recent thread here.
Not to mention that skewed video of a bullet hitting some
watered up gel.

I've tested plenty of Barnes bullets in my rifles. The TSX is a heck of an accurate bullet and I actually prefer they lose their petals. I like the grenade effect like a partition, I'm not hung up on picture perfect mushrooms. I think more internal damage is done when the NP and TSX lose their nose. But as stated I don't use them as I use turrets and want a bullet that hits at 2,000 fps minimum at distance. Between the 2 bullets and their BC's, the Nosler gives me another 100 yards. Striking velocity is also higher with a higher BC bullet and that's something the Barnes needs to have to be successful.

My own opinion of Barnes is that the company is imperfect but has very good products in the TSX and MRX lines. The XLC�s are the only �X� bullets I�ve hunted with. The XLC�s got a �D� grade the one time I used them on big game, antelope, and while results on coyotes resulted in two instantly dead doggies the differences in the bullet channels were night and day apart. While I load TSX�s for several rifles I have not taken any game with them and tend to revert to North Fork bullets. The new MRX has performed well in water jug tests and eliminates any lingering concerns I have about the TSX�s. Like you I have found the TSX�s to be very accurate and I have tried them in a number of rifles.

When it comes to B.C.s, I don�t pay much attention to what the books say � different rifles shooting the same bullets at the same speeds will generate different measured B.C. results due to a variety of other factors, and B.C.�s vary with velocity - the only reliable test is in your rifle at different ranges, and that applies to any bullet.

Barnes is not the only company to get data wrong in their manuals � Speer has made a number of errors that I have called them about. In the end analysis, no reloader should rely on a single source of information.

IF Barnes used �watered up� gel to make a demonstration video of their TSX bullets, I couldn�t care less. It would be different if they claimed to have used some standardized mix and did not, but as far as I know they have not made any claims about the gel at all.

Brittle bullets? I guess you�re probably not a fan of cup-and-core bullets at high speed, either, since they can disintegrate. The BT�s come to mind. I�ve never seen an X-type bullet�s shank come apart so I�m confused � you complain about �brittle bullets� where the petals come off but then say you prefer it when they do?

Getting bullets mixed up is not a good thing but Barnes is not the only one to have done so and in the end it is up to the reloader to make sure the bullets he is seating are what they are supposed to be, just as it is up to the hunter to make sure that they don�t jam a .30-06 into a .270. Mistakes happen but the final inspection point � and the most important � is at the reload bench.

By the way, my Barnes #3 (6th printing) does not have the errors mentioned on page 280.

One other thing, - a B.C. of .453 for a 180g .308� TSX, loaded to 3038fps in my rifle, results in your preferred impact velocity of over 2,000fps out past 550 yards. I don�t need another 100 yards.

Lastly, someone mentioned that Barnes had gone �overboard� (or something like that) with the MRX design. IMHO I think they have done an excellent job. The Delrin tip ensures expansion and the tungsten core helps keep both bullet length and COL down � all of which I appreciate. I am switching from the TSX to the MRX where ever possible.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Dave, I like the looks of those bullets. One thing I noticed immediately is a larger diameter in the hollow point.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What I find real interesting is how Nosler, who arguably already has the gold standard bullet, in the Partition, already has an excellent bonded bullet design, saw the need to come up with a serious challenge to the Barnes TSX/MRX design.

To me, Nosler is an excellent example of a well run company. Always forward thinking, always re-inventing themselves.

While Sierra on the other hand is living in the past and in my opinion is being left on the "porch".

If you can't run with the big dogs, you had better stay on the porch.

I wonder how long Sierra can continue this?

Tony

Last edited by hicountry; 04/15/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got one just one 277 150 grain Partition in a box of 7mm 150 N.P.So it can happen to anybody.Glad it wasn't the other way.Another reason that I inspect and weigh each bullet.

As for the E tip.It looks like a heck of a bullet.

Last edited by 7 STW; 04/15/07.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey Couch

I never thought that hunting was cheaper than steak anyway...

BTW I don't do anything but load testing with premium bullets(wanna talk cost lets talk 50 bmg stuff.....) and then verify the drops and so on.

I practice enough with other guns and even if I didn't I would not blast thousands of rounds downrange with expensive bullets while practicing....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hicountry, well stated. I was a huge fan of the Sierra boattail in the 80's out of my 270, but, other bullet manufacturers kept improving, or coming out with more innovative bullets, so I basically stopped shooting Sierra's. Having said that, I do have a load worked up in my 7-08 with a 120 gr Sierra ProHunter that I have no doubt will make a fine blacktail rig. You are correct at least from my view, that Sierra needs to install some bullet updates to their hunting bullet line.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I do not like the MRX idea since it has a dmn core in it. ... Though I do like the tip thought for added insurance.

If Nosler could do the mono, without fouling and hte tips,and be accurate, what more could one ask at the moment?

Jeff

Since the MRX is a hunting bullet I don't mind the core.

Nosler could add grooves to reduce friction in the barrel, resulting in higher velocity potential. Of course then the bullet might be so long they would have to add a tungsten core to keep OAL down... wink

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave

Hi Dave, The GS Custom are great bullets and they want the petals to come off. They advocate shooting them fast enough to blow the petals off when they impact smile.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jwp475, what's their pricing? Are they in the range of Barnes?

I like the looks of the MRX, I think that is a good design, with the plastic tip insuring the bullet opens up.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

dave7mm, could give you pricing of the GS Custom, I believe....Dave also has some copper bullets that he made of his own design,and they work perfectly for him on Hogs...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
POP were you not a moderator \ promoter on the Groove bullet forum also?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.