Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm leaving out the .350 Legend, at least until all the whining stops.

You mean all the guys who maybe (or maybe not) necked up a 223 once and then say they know more about Winchester in designing a proper straight walled 35 cal round? wink it's very amusing to see guys that actually believe they know better lol

Gerry.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I mean the whining that happens every time something new comes out that meets a demand, perceived or real, in the market, like it's a personal affront to them or their stuff, or like someone's holding a gun to their head making them buy it, rather than a business decision that only affects them if they decide to buy in.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
RHMZ, thank you for the heads up. I called GRICE yesterday morning and have one headed my way. I'm looking forward to get a scope on it and working up a few loads. It should be just the ticket for carrying up and down these forested hills looking for whitetail and black bear.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
StarchedCover, my lovely bride says she hopes you always use your powers for good..... heck, I haven't even started buying Alpha level scopes yet cool If mine turns out to be a good shooter it may get an aftermarket stock....

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Deer and black bear don't like my 358win. They have a habit of falling down and not getting up again. I'vehad a blr and currently use a Vanguard rebored from 7mm08 to 358 by JES. Shoots great.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Vanguard barreled by Shaw in .358..... it is heavy for an old guy to be carting up and down the Mountain sides around here..... I had not shot it much the barrel seemed to suck up copper.... recently got it clean down to bare metal and Ultra Bore coated it hoping that solves the issue. The goal is to be able to switch back and forth between cast and jacketed loads.

The Shaw barrel is 1 in 14" twist the Ruger says 1 in 12". I have a mold that casts .359 280 grain slugs..... looking forward to Spring testing season....

The weight listed for a Ruger American in .308 is 6.1 Pounds.... I'm guessing the .358 version might come in at 6.0? I've never seen a Ruger American in person..... kind of ugly but lots of reports they shoot VERY well.... fingers crossed.

Starline has .358 brass in stock 250 for 150.50... This will be my first bottle neck Starline rifle brass... again online reports have been positive..... should have a chance to test all this later next week.

R
R
Originally Posted by RMHZ1979
Thanks, RMHZ1979. I need and want a .358 about like another winky, but I just had to look and scored a Howa Alpine for about half of retail ($599)!

I am glad you found a deal! I really wasn't looking to buy another gun when I searched their catalog, but when I saw that 358 I had to have it. It finishes my 35 caliber collection (I have a 7600 carbine 35 Rem., Ruger MKII 350 Rem. Mag, and a 7600 35 Whelen).

Hold on there, Baba Looey! You certainly need a .35 Winchester, might need a .351 WSL, and should think about a 9x57, which from several sources appears to be a .35 in some cases. I'm leaving out the .350 Legend, at least until all the whining stops.

Too hard to get brass and/or ammunition for most of those calibers. That's why I also excluded the 356. The 350 Legend is a joke if you ask me.

R
R
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
RHMZ, thank you for the heads up. I called GRICE yesterday morning and have one headed my way. I'm looking forward to get a scope on it and working up a few loads. It should be just the ticket for carrying up and down these forested hills looking for whitetail and black bear.

StarchedCover

I am glad I could help!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The .350 Legend has a niche to fill, and I’m looking forward to yet another AR build.

This .358 Ruger American is also going to cost me money given the 20”, can ready barrel.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Forgot the .356. Oldtimers' must be setting in. One could call it the .358R if feeling Yurrupean. Rumor was the Marlins in .356 (both of them😛) could use .358 brass, just not top loads.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, the Starline 6CM brass I have is heavier than Hornady and hold less water, so you might want to check that before using your existing data.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
DMc I would really like to see your images but they won't come up. Could you please re-do them? Rusty

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the heads up Pappy, I wasn't going to rush hard for max loads in a 6 pound .358 starting off anyway.... I will compare water weight between the Hornady brass I have and the Starline when it gets here though and will report back.

Not sure what to expect with the faster twist Ruger barrel and lighter bullets..... For a deer bullet I'd like to try some of the TTSX 180 Barnes.... I've been shooting a 1 in 16" twist Whelen for years and have a wide variety of 200 220 and 225 bullets to play with as a result.

I also have probably 1000 pounds of wheel weight lead ingots and a 280 grain .359 mold I have not used in years.... Hoping to put the steel targets out back to good use this year....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Now they have done it. Through Grice

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Forgot the .356. Oldtimers' must be setting in. One could call it the .358R if feeling Yurrupean. Rumor was the Marlins in .356 (both of them😛) could use .358 brass, just not top loads.

I have plenty of 356 brass, but yes, 358 brass also works in my 336ER

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2ndwind,not a problem. Thanks for the offer on splitting the order of 358 WCF Starline Brass with me, 125 pcs. will be a good start. Just as an FYI, Midway has Sierra 35 cal. 225 gr. SBT "Blems" at a very nice price and they should work very nicely out of these Ruger 358's (and if they don't my 35 Whelen loves them). I picked up 200 this morning smile
I hope that you and your lovely bride have a great rest of the weekend.
We have to get you both out to see the new place once we get unpacked and settled in.

There is a S&B/Leica/Zeiss/Meopta or Swaro in your future, you will surrender to the dark side smile

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 358. It’s a Savage 99. I haven’t shot it yet, need to load for it, should be a great pig thumper

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

We have to get you both out to see the new place once we get unpacked and settled in.

There is a S&B/Leica/Zeiss/Meopta or Swaro in your future, you will surrender to the dark side smile

StarchedCover[/quote]

What, you have been into the new mountain top retreat for 2 weeks now and the household isn't running at 100% yet? I thought you were a Marine? grin Okay full disclosure, Jayne and I have been in our house almost 20 years now and there are probably a few boxes yet to be sorted down in the basement somewhere....

Next visit we need to be out at dusk looking into the shadow side of the woods my Leupold fire dot vs the Euro glass...… Jayne needs to be there too so she can see the freezer filling advantage of Alpha glass....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Way to go! Get the little woman involved in your Loony buying decisions. Pretty hard to rag on you for spending money if she is " part of the problem".

Well played.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Way to go! Get the little woman involved in your Loony buying decisions. Pretty hard to rag on you for spending money if she is " part of the problem".

Well played.

Thanks, We went deer hunting on our honeymoon 21 years ago.... and it was her idea! We have hunted together every year since and do all our own butchering. Jayne is an MD and we had a physician assistant student staying with us during deer season this year. It was fun watching Jayne and Sarah inventory EVERY internal deer organ...… here is a fun fact, deer do not have gallbladders. Apparently they don't need them.

Sarah is a city girl but was totally on board with a "meat is meat" outlook. She spent hours helping with the butchering process. Venison is now high on her list of great food. We sent her home with a variety of cuts she helped butcher.

It was also fun meeting a Campfire member after StarchedCover moved into the high country last year. He was really busy with a new job and house hunting. He got one deer and we wanted him to have a chance at a second one..... He didn't seem to like the looks of the elevated box blind and declined an offer to use it. Another friend and I were up there trying to alert him to deer coming out at the far side of the field. The text messages went something like; Deer DEER! Look to your left.... dee Then the deer started to move off so Dave and I did a "On three" countdown and bagged 2 more..... cool

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.