Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJM
Like most have said...everyone needs a 10/22....

Have had four I think...the only one left is a 1997/8 Walmart special..stainless with a full length black/gray laminated Intentional stock....and it is still bone stock... They were $250 when first out but a year later Walmart closed them for $149.00 and I bought one as did several of my friends none of whom have sold them... To me it is the best looking 10/22 they ever made...

Bob

I bought 4 of the Wal-Mart exclusive 10/22 KRBIBBZs back in 1997/98 and agree with you that they are the best looking 10/22s that Ruger has yet to ship.

Last year I sent a parts gun copy of the KRBIBBZ configuration to CPC for a full tune up and that made a noticeable improvement in accuracy, making it 1 of the 4 10/22s that I shoot regularly. If you send a 10/22 barreled action to CPC that is going back into a mannlicher style stock, tell them that it is from a mannlicher and they will minimize the barrel setback so that you will only need to remove a small amount of wood near the muzzle to accommodate the barrel setback.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in 1997 my buddies wife was at a garage sale where there was a 10/22 for $75.. She called him; described the gun and price and he told her to buy it. The thing could have almost passed for brand new unfired. Serial number places it as a 1987 production standard model. I expressed interest in it and my buddy quoted $125. So he made $50. profit and I got a like new 10/22. Forgot what a new one cost back then but it was more than I paid for this mint one. Still got it and the only thing I ever did was put a Weaver rail on the receiver and add an inexpensive 2-7x scope in Weaver rings. Thought about going crazy with all the 10/22 upgrade stuff but decided to keep it "as-is" except for the scope. Used the money I would have spent on upgrades to buy other guns I wanted. Makes a great squirrel & small game & plinking gun even without sinking huge amounts of money into it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I did not know the politics about DICK'S when I bought the rifle. Too late now.

Sherwood

Sherwood, no worries. The sale you were fortunate enough to find was probably them ridding themselves of their last stock of firearms.

Hope it brings you a lot of fun for a lot of years.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sherwood,
my stock looked pretty much like yours. I wanted to do what Killerv is doing, reshaping and all but don't have the bench and vice and all ...so I settled with a refinish. Used Ciristrip to get rid of the old finish , and man there was never an easier finish to remove. After I cleaned it up a bit I saw the wood looked pretty chewed up but didn't care as this was more for fun than anything. Sanded it down a bit and found a stain thought I might be perfect, red chestnut, and applied it. Can't ever fully tell from a sample what your application of the same stain may look like and It didn't really take until I really rubbed it in. I finished with...I don't know maybe ten - 12 coats of tru oil. Applied one thin coat a day for well over a week. Took no time per day.

It isn't show room quality maybe but does make me like it all the more for the effort and came out as I hoped. Not a great picture but ...
[Linked Image].

Apologies for the hugeness of this pic guys.

Really looking forward to see Killerv's end product as I am sure it will make me jealous.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/20/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

What don't you like about extended magazine releases?

I don't care the style of extended magazine release that comes with BX triggers, but really like the under-lever style from Bastion and Timber Creek that curl under the trigger guard and look sort of like the under-lever on a Ruger #1.

They are slow, cumbersome, and not intuitive.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

These people are great.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
:They are slow, cumbersome, and not intuitive"

Sooo, it reminds you too much of you, then? ;O).

My first one was also made in 1968, but got it from a friend in the 1970s. Walnut stock, still in mint condition. Stayed that way for years, until I lent it to my dad when he retired and used to spend weeks at our cabin. It got rained on in his truck during a downpour with the windows down and he forgot about it, turned the barrel into a rusty tube.

Many years ago I put an A&B heavy barrel on it, flopped it into a synthetic thumb hole stock. Last one I picked up, also came from Bleep's, but that was about ten years ago. Also on sale, think $169? Yep, ever-body should oughta have 'em at least one 1022.

The old'un with the heavy tube, likes Wolf Match Target. The cheap one shoots Auto Match and CCI-SV, pretty damn good. Since I already had a chit load of 10 round Ruger mags, made sense some years back, to also have a Ruger American rim fire when they came out. That one's also a keeper.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought my first one in the late 1970s. Got the deluxe walnut version and it was finely accurate but had some feeding issues. I was young and dumb and traded it off. Have had a couple since then, but bought one from a buddy for $65 ten years ago. Again the walnut deluxe version.

This one is also a shooter, but it had seen some hard days with a previous owner. Looks a bit beat up, but I'm OK with that. So do I...
I got an old weaver K2.5 on it and it is as accurate and handy a rifle as a guy could ask for. Thought about fixing it up some. new stock and stuff. But it's almost perfect the way it is...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Great .22 for sure. If you find accuracy not up to your liking, improve the trigger with parts or send it off, either works. Cut the stock off at an angle just behind the barrel band and free float it, then glass bed the action and first inch of the barrel. Yes, I can never leave well enough alone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sherwood

Anyone else have stories to share about their Ruger 10-22 rifles?

At 67, I've gone full circle with .22s......It's kinda fun but $$$ to tinker with the 10-22s.......I did triggers,barrels, sights, scopes, stocks, bolts and even converted one to .17m2....now I'm back to basics with a Remington 550-1... cool I like the steel receiver...I like the 24" barrel...I REALLY like the fact that it flawlessly cycles every .22 cartridge I've stuck in it....I like the fact that it doesn't seem finicky accuracy wise to any specific brand or style of ammo....I also like the fact that with the 24" barrel, it seems quieter than any other .22 I've owned... maybe because the muzzle is further away from my ears, or maybe because the longer barrel gives it time to burn off the excess gasses....I wouldn't trade it for a dozen 10-22s.... grin

IC B3

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had my 10/22 for over 30 years. The only mods I have done are replacing the original stock with a Hogue stock, replacing the bolt hold-open piece with a Kidd (the original started malfunctioning) and installing a synthetic bolt buffer. Mine is very accurate with Winchester 42 gr Power Point Max ammo at a listed 1,320 fps. Unfortunately, I appear to be snake bit when it comes to the Ruger BX trigger. I have tried 2 without success with both being bought at a Cabelas store. The 1st one literally had pieces falling out when I very carefully attempted to remove it from the packing and the other caused something to get messed up with the mag release (ie, it worked only part of the time to release magazines). So, I went back to the original trigger group. If that's the worst thing to happen to me, I am living a charmed life.

Anyway, I cannot imagine not having at least 1 10/22 in my inventory. I like the rotary mags so much that I bought a Ruger American Rimfire in 22lr, since it uses the same mags.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (673, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 264mag, 26 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,075
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.