Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SLM
Here we go again with an elitist that feels the need to push his ethics/morals on to everyone else.

No, bears aren’t special, they are special to you, to another they could be an overgrown varmint.

I have no desire to shoot a bear over bait, but who the hell am I or you to say it’s wrong?

Not sure what’s in the water in Oregon but it grows the stupid pretty good in some.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
You either get it or you don't, and you, do not.

Bears are special and deserve to be respected as such. Feeding them garbage and shooting them while they eat it degrades bears and hunters both.

There must be a reason you've been ignored for years.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
We toggle you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
We toggle you.

Hard to resist I know! I even toggle that asswipe deflave on occasion.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/26/19.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Travis is a campfire treasure.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I toggled.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Bears are special and deserve to be respected as such. Feeding them garbage and shooting them while they eat it degrades bears and hunters both.

Bears are special? Now there is a pecking order of game animals? You bring stupid to all new levels. So if I shoot a bear over berries or fish eating, it is ok but not over a bait? How does it degrade a hunter or a bear? There are places where bears numbers need to be controlled and near impossible to hunt with the use of bait or dogs. You really need to educate yourself.

Thanks for the gushing declaration of admiration, I'll take the put down as a badge of honor coming from you.

"Bears are special and deserve to be respected as such. Feeding them garbage and shooting them while they eat it degrades bears and hunters both."

Where did yo get that from FB2? Straight from the anti-hunter's Communist Manifesto? That is the exact terminology and emotionalism that closed off a large chunk of coastal BC to hunting bears because of a few color mutated white "Kermode" or spirit bears lived there. Just another black bear, but colored white. It's also the same terminology and emotionalism that got he BC grizzly hunt ended.

You call yourself a hunter, yet you elevate a bear to mythical status. Maybe to you it is, but don't you dare try to dictate ethics and hunting methods to other legal bear hunters. You're like a fly fisherman who tries to stop a 3 year old kid fishing with a worm baited hook from trying to catch a stocked trout from the town central park pond.

With hunters like you, we don't need enemies, you are one.

Beginning to think that it might not be a bad idea that that west coast fault did give a big shake and drop California, Oregon, Washington and western BC into the Pacific. Stop that cancer from infecting the rest of North America.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Bears are special? Now there is a pecking order of game animals? You bring stupid to all new levels. So if I shoot a bear over berries or fish eating, it is ok but not over a bait? How does it degrade a hunter or a bear? There are places where bears numbers need to be controlled and near impossible to hunt with the use of bait or dogs. You really need to educate yourself.

Thanks for the gushing declaration of admiration, I'll take the put down as a badge of honor coming from you.

"Bears are special and deserve to be respected as such. Feeding them garbage and shooting them while they eat it degrades bears and hunters both."

Where did yo get that from FB2? Straight from the anti-hunter's Communist Manifesto? That is the exact terminology and emotionalism that closed off a large chunk of coastal BC to hunting bears because of a few color mutated white "Kermode" or spirit bears lived there. Just another black bear, but colored white. It's also the same terminology and emotionalism that got he BC grizzly hunt ended.

You call yourself a hunter, yet you elevate a bear to mythical status. Maybe to you it is, but don't you dare try to dictate ethics and hunting methods to other legal bear hunters. You're like a fly fisherman who tries to stop a 3 year old kid fishing with a worm baited hook from trying to catch a stocked trout from the town central park pond.

With hunters like you, we don't need enemies, you are one.

Beginning to think that it might not be a bad idea that that west coast fault did give a big shake and drop California, Oregon, Washington and western BC into the Pacific. Stop that cancer from infecting the rest of North America.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fireball, take another look at the title of the thread. It ain't "why do you hunt bears."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Fireball, take another look at the title of the thread. It ain't "why do you hunt bears."

No, you do not understand. It is all about him. Not his first puking with this stuff...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Bears are predators and need to be treated as such... only Alaskans think they’re really huntin somthing..... as they schlep them up off kelp beds....

Down here they’re treated like shiit that they are... some think they’re a trophy...

Way back when I lived in Centralia (1987-1989) we had a bear problem! Every Wednesday (trash pickup day) there were several bears that would come down the alley and knock the cans around to get the lids off them and make a heller of a mess. To add they would set the dogs off making a heller amount of noise which I usually paid attention to. So one Wednesday the dogs start raising hell and I look out the window to note a large black bear had both of my trash cans rolling around in the alley but the sticker was there were a couple of grade school kids walking down the alley like the bear was just an amusement. When they got withing 20 feet of him he noticed and squared off facing them and they started to back off getting ready to run (would probably have been fatal) when my 150 grain Speer Hotcor from my 30-30 went through the bears head. At any rate I called the cops and animal control carried off the dead bear. I went to court 4 times before any decisions on charges were made and finally the issue was dropped. At the time I was working for a subcontractor and our job was to control trees growing under Bonneville Power Adminstrations powerlines and saw many bears. The Ilwaco area had the most and biggest bears.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rickt300
Bears are predators and need to be treated as such... only Alaskans think they’re really huntin somthing..... as they schlep them up off kelp beds....

Down here they’re treated like shiit that they are... some think they’re a trophy...

Way back when I lived in Centralia (1987-1989) we had a bear problem! Every Wednesday (trash pickup day) there were several bears that would come down the alley and knock the cans around to get the lids off them and make a heller of a mess. To add they would set the dogs off making a heller amount of noise which I usually paid attention to. So one Wednesday the dogs start raising hell and I look out the window to note a large black bear had both of my trash cans rolling around in the alley but the sticker was there were a couple of grade school kids walking down the alley like the bear was just an amusement. When they got withing 20 feet of him he noticed and squared off facing them and they started to back off getting ready to run (would probably have been fatal) when my 150 grain Speer Hotcor from my 30-30 went through the bears head. At any rate I called the cops and animal control carried off the dead bear. I went to court 4 times before any decisions on charges were made and finally the issue was dropped. At the time I was working for a subcontractor and our job was to control trees growing under Bonneville Power Adminstrations powerlines and saw many bears. The Ilwaco area had the most and biggest bears.

Washington is the smallest western state and supposedly has the most black bears.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ya there's a lot of bear around.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Charges? Should have gotten commendation protecting those children!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

A guy shot a brown bear on Eagle River after it swatted his kid and was standing over it. He caught all sorts of grief! People were convinced he should have waited until the bear proved it was not just playing...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Fireball I don’t know you and I don’t remember US talking here before.
I’m asking a serious question.

What makes Bears ‘special’ to you ?
What makes Bears diff from Elk, Moose, Deer, Antelope, etc.

I’m not a fan of True baiting. I’m not opposed to it where it’s legal.
I just don’t understand why Bears are any diff from other Wild animals.

Why are they special to you ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

A guy shot a brown bear on Eagle River after it swatted his kid and was standing over it. He caught all sorts of grief! People were convinced he should have waited until the bear proved it was not just playing...

Sounds like a pretty good reason to hunt bears.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve only been on one bear hunt. I enjoyed it and killed a bear.

A bear is an animal. I hunt animals. I eat animals. Therefore I’ll hunt bears when given the opportunity. I could care less about anyone else’s opinion. I feel the same way about any other game animal in the country.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 24 hour soak at 60 Fathoms,will transform thangs.

RELIABLY....................(grin)

Big Stick;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust that the day is as bright and promising on the Milford as it looks to be down here in south central BC and that all is well with you and your family.

I must admit I had to read your posts on brining bear meat a couple times before it sunk in..... blush

The photo however helped immensely so thanks kindly for the visual aide for those of us riding the short bus.

On my somewhat limited experience with this sort of thing - we've got family on Vancouver Island and have prawned and crabbed as often as we could, I'd think in most spots we'd have tried it there would have been some crabs after the brining session too.

That said, now that I think about it, there were spots where the prawn boats would put pots down which were deeper than the crab traps so that's the 60 fathoms notation I'm guessing?

Again Stick, as I've often said - I ride a rough horse much easier than a smooth boat and doubly so on the chuck...... Big water of any kind has me more than a tad nonplussed to say the least.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning however sir and for making me think a tad - that's never a bad thing in either case anymore.

All the best to you all as we head into spring Stick.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Shot a gun in city limits, shot a bear out of season, shot a bear without a license. The Game warden was cool but I still had to see a judge. The police were a different story. To add to the problem the kids were third graders and got just as scared from the shot as they were from the bear. Anyway it worked out.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed plenty of average sized black bears over the years but never got too into it, and honestly don't care if I ever shoot another though I am sure I will. To me they're just something else to chase during the spring and to take incidentally in the fall when chasing other critters. They're fun as hell to chase with hounds, but those hunts are as much about watching the dogs work as they are about hunting, to me at least. Good luck keeping up with those dogs too, if you've got a runner and you're in rough country.

I did try baiting for a few years in Idaho and never EVER got one to come in during the daylight. They were way easier to shoot incidentally when deer hunting than by baiting IME.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.