Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
Can a person push in the loading gate on a 94 or 336 to empty out the magazine the same way they went in? I'm a lever safety 99 guy and the only other lever that I have is a .25-20 M92 and that one doesn't go deer hunting, so I never tried unloading the magazine that way.

Interesting point Blu Cs about a loaded handgun being legal, but not a rifle in a vehicle. I'll need to check that. Back when I was a youth, we did a lot of deer driving and one of the new guys borrowed a M94 and decided that it was too much trouble to unload the thing every time we got in the vehicle. Only hunted with us one year now that I think of it.

I know you can on a 336. Done it many times. I believe you can on a 94 also but I'm not sure.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M
No.

Wrong
My dad showed me this trick back in the 60's

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm at camp, which is out in the woods and away from other dwellings, I leave the gun right outside the door and loaded. Otherwise, coming in the cabin, or getting in a vehicle, the gun gets fully unloaded, with the exception of my muzzleloader. I just take off the percussion cap, drop the hammer to cover the nipple and case it up. If I don't get a shot, the gun may stay loaded for the duration of the hunt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JWall 4 the comment/ observation.

I have done like the later poster......started loading them with less ammo. Kind of counterintuitive in my opinion.

I will work on your suggestion of unloading.

Thanks again.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome whack em!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting on that 1895.
My 336 loading gate won't push in far enough to avoid snagging a 30-30 rim as they come out.
That's how I remember it, anyway.
If I remember, gonna check later.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I end up unloading mine a couple times a day. The regs say no loaded rifles or magazines while in a vehicle. And I'm always hunting out of a vehicle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The OP more or less answered his own question, for the safety of all concerned it is best to completely unload any rifle when done hunting. Too many scenarios where accidents could happen to not do so.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Load when I get into the woods, unload before I get into the truck. No big deal - and illegal to do otherwise, where I am.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Other points:

As patriarch of deer camp, I've tried to encourage folks to unload before they get to the front porch. It's not a hard/fast rule, but I personally will unload when I'm about 200 yards from camp, if I haven't unloaded as I'm leaving the stand. At a minimum, I'll unload at the turn in the drive about 25 yards from the porch, while I'm still surrounded by nothing but mud and trees. It's all about fatigue, cold hands, etc.

I generally do not walk about with a hot chamber. Say I'm out with the Savage 99. I go out in the dark with rifle and ammo and do not load up until I'm snug in my stand or blind, and it's legal hunting time.

It's 1100. Nothing's shown all morning. I'll remove the round from the chamber and put it back into the mag and close the bolt on a cold chamber before lowering it to the ground on the rope with the barrel pointed down. I'll then climb down and saddle up for the walk in. I don't jack that round back in.

In the evening, I fully unload at the end of legal hunting before leaving the stand.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm fortunate in that once we are at camp, the truck is no longer used until we leave. Therefore, all rifles are loaded upon arrival, and are unloaded prior leaving. I leave guns loaded and kept either inside (until hunted with) or in the garage to be kept out of the weather and cool.

That said, I usually hunt single shots, so it's not a big deal to unload, but at my camp all weapons are to be considered loaded, and all hunters there know that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I usually hunt alone, I prefer to use a rifle with a clip , and why I prefer a rifle that can be unloaded without running all rounds through the chamber. If I do take a tube magazine style firearm I will only feed 2 into to loading gate. I either walk or am horseback to hunt.( I would like to be a fly on the wall at JB's hunting camp- just be as pure as the driven snow in there, me thinks). Firearms are always emptied in at camp or in the truck

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This thread had more life than I thought it would and I appreciate all the feedback and that Marlin video. I must try that with my M92. Condensation is always a worry when I bring that 99 into a warm cabin. When I wrote about putting it into the truck, it was just to keep it cold over night, not to drive anywhere with it loaded. Clips are easier, but I don't own any. The blind magazine 700 ADL's and those old Remington 14 and 141's and a few others must have the same unloading hassles. Cold, stiff fingers with a lack of dexterity at the end of the day is another good point.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I try not to hunt in company with a 99 as they need to be totally unloaded.

Originally Posted by 7mmMato

There is no reason to chamber a round to unload any of these rifles....
........ it is very easy and quick to unload just pop up each round and roll it out into you hand no reason to chamber it.

That works for 99s too. I've had em.

Jerry

Yes sir easy peasy

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just unload mine every time. At deer camp, there could be a buddy that brings a youngster or likely a few drinks after a good meal discussing the days hunt and anticipation for tomorrow. It literally takes a few seconds....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.