Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just reflecting here

I recently grabbed my seldom used 10/22, removed the m1 carbine style aftermarket stock because it obstructed the iron sights. Put on the clubby factory stock and said yech! Decided to spruce it up by stripping the finish, staining it with a chestnut red minwax color (pretty sweet I gotta say) , and applying about a dozen coats of tru oil.

Turns out my eyes have aged to where I really can't use the iron sights so was looking for a scope. Decided on a variable rather than straight 4x as I think going <4 will be the norm.

Determined a 2-7x32 is THE fit. Along those lines my choices were constrained by budget and snooping wife.

Simmons WT- surprisingly good reviews. I know, Simmons??? really? ......but...

Bushnell- I am usually a supporter of even their inexpensive lines but ....not this one so much....

Weaver Kaspa- cuz I love Weavers adjusmtents, loved my old K models, recommended a few Grand Slams, always felt Weavers under appreciated BUT ....can one really call a Kaspa a Weaver????

Mueller- a bit more pricey and not sure they have done anything to improve their line in years

Hawke Vantage . Price is right and it seems a more modern variant than the others. This one gave me warm fuzzy. Anyone have experience with it?

For mounts was looking at the one piece base DNZ or Weigand type but ended up with the 2-piece Talley's that have the built in base. A little cheaper and seem to me to be attractive...and who is going to argue against buying Talleys.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The carbine stocks have a low rise, not the best fit for getting eye alignment with a scope.

I recommend swapping the stock for an American style modular stock with the standard LOP and high comb module installed. S&P has these stock in black and green for around $50, but they come with the low comb module and the high comb modules run around $25.

The Bushnell A17 3.5-10x36AO isn't a bad scope for rimfire applications and CDNN is selling them for around $50.

A friend of mine recently scoped 4 10/22s with Chinese counterfeit copies of the Leupold 2-7x33 that he bought for around $60 on eBay and he seems to be happy with them.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a few of the hawke Vantage scopes and a couple of the earlier Sport HD scopes in 4x with AO, 2-7 with AO and 3-9 with AO. All have been solid and are brighter than I had expected. For a rimfire the AO models are a good buy. A couple of mine have mil-dots and the dots make good holdover references. I have used but not owned a couple of Kaspas and was disappointed with the clarity. The Simmons .22 mag is brighter than expected for the price, but I haven't owned one so can't comment on durability. They also only come in 4x and 3-9x32.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My 4X Hawke Vantage(s) are plenty good enough to suggest trying the 2-7. Save your receipt, LOL, they are covered for your lifetime.

The Redfield Revolution 2-7s are dandy little scopes.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
260Remguy- hi and thanks - you too Leon.

Well I want to keep the stock I have since I spent several weeks refinishing iti. Guess I should have posted sooner huh.

I am not familiar with S&P so I went to check them out . If I got to the right place the website looks off kilter on the browser I was using. I will try again though.

Leon yeah - what you wrote is kind of what I had been hearing. I hate any blot on Weaver but stick to the known, good, models. Yes I am a snob for poo pooing Simmons out of hand but back in the day cheap Simmons and Bushnell's were about all we had. In reality neither are so bad one can't use them as I cannot recall ever hearing first hand of one actually breaking. After years of this forum and dozens of purchases, typically spending hundreds on a new scope and being THAT guy talking all my friends and relatives into spending more money it is hard to go there- ya know?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
260Remguy- hi and thanks - you too Leon.

Well I want to keep the stock I have since I spent several weeks refinishing iti. Guess I should have posted sooner huh.

I am not familiar with S&P so I went to check them out . If I got to the right place the website looks off kilter on the browser I was using. I will try again though.

Leon yeah - what you wrote is kind of what I had been hearing. I hate any blot on Weaver but stick to the known, good, models. Yes I am a snob for poo pooing Simmons out of hand but back in the day cheap Simmons and Bushnell's were about all we had. In reality neither are so bad one can't use them as I cannot recall ever hearing first hand of one actually breaking. After years of this forum and dozens of purchases, typically spending hundreds on a new scope and being THAT guy talking all my friends and relatives into spending more money it is hard to go there- ya know?

www.sapoutfitters.com

I didn't think that I'd like the Bushnell A17 when I got one, but it has decent optics, the magnification range works well with rimfire rifles, and the 36mm objective is small enough such that it doesn't overwhelm the rifle. I've bought several more to go on 17HM2s, 17HMRs, 22LRs, and 22MAGs.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cool 260 -thanks for the link. Definitely not where I was going before so looking forward to checking them out. kind of thinking the BX trigger might be in my future. Seems like the extended mag release on it makes the cost worth it. Almost wish my factory trigger sucked so I could justify it but alas...it is nice and crisp.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/19/19.

. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like BX triggers, but always swap the extended magazine release that comes on them for an under-lever style from Bastion or Timber Creek. I also replace the steel bolt stop buffer pin with a synthetic unit.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put a Nikon Rimfire prostaff II on mine and I've been very impressed with it. The BX trigger is also a great upgrade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mounted a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 on mine last night

Will try it out this weekend

IC B3

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I took a look at the Prostaff especially after helping a friend buy a combo for an old rifle of his. His prior scope was I think older than he was and the new Prostaff blew his mind. I posted it on it here some time back. Great choice but It was just a little more than my wife....I mean ahem I wanted to spend for my 22.

So on the synthetic bolt stop buffer.....what does that do for ya? Make things a little easier on the mechanism or ???

Hey while we are on this subject- what ammo do y'all favor? CCI seems to be a safe consensus and the standard velocity got praise for accuracy. I had a few fte on them last outing. I kind of thought sticking with 40g a better idea for squirrels and what not but are the Stingers a better way to go?

. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The synthetic bolt stop buffer eliminates the "clack" sound when the action cycles. It has been sold as a way to prevent the steel bolt stop buffer from causing the alloy receiver to crack, but I've never seen evidence of that actually happening. Sort of the 10/22 version of fuzzy dice.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
About what I thought.

I think this rifle will turn out to be a be a slow ,no hurry, project of small updates for fun. Sort of a new found joy after putting the effort in to the stock.

I would really love a consensus on ammo. Guess once I have a scope on it I can start checking that myself.

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/19/19.

. Confucius
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 10/22's with optics ranging from red dots up to a Weaver V-16. Some have aftermarket barrels and some not. Just depends on what you are going to do with the rifle.

The only way to determine the best ammo is to try different types. I like Aguila standard velocity for a cheap plinking round that still provides decent accuracy. More pricey standard velocity ammo will usually give better accuracy but Eley and Lapua ammo is pretty expensive. CCI standard velocity shoots pretty well in most rifles and is only slightly more expensive than Aguila.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 10/22 project that's ongoing. So far, I have a Shilen sporter barrel, hogue stock and BX trigger group, talley lightweight rings and a Nikon prostaff scope. It has a great weight/balance and is incredibly accurate. I shoot the Winchester 37 grain superspeed HP. Actually shot and killed both a bobcat and a coyote with it recently.

My next upgrade will be a Tactical Innovations stainless receiver.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're shooting for accuracy, try Eley, Lapua, RWS, and Wolf. I've never known a .22 that didn't have a brand, style, and bullet weight preference. For plinking and casual shooting there are lots of bulk pack options.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
bowmanh- I thought about a red dot and started looking at them and reflex. How do you like them compared to the more standard types etc...

. Confucius
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mine as a 4x38 Weaver, personally I'd skip the Kaspa and just get a "K".

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are still some of the Hawke Endurance LER 2-7s to be had, on Amazon and EABCO, last time I checked. Better scope than the Vantage, and about $100 now on clearance. Parallax is set for 100 yards, but if you keep your eye lined up right, no problem. I have two, and ain't letting them go. Illuminated reticle too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The synthetic bolt stop buffer eliminates the "clack" sound when the action cycles. It has been sold as a way to prevent the steel bolt stop buffer from causing the alloy receiver to crack, but I've never seen evidence of that actually happening. Sort of the 10/22 version of fuzzy dice.

It is more than sound. Tha jarring will eat cheap scopes quickly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,097
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.